Singapore Expats

Yo mama wears army boots, part 2

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
Sg_mom

Post by Sg_mom » Tue, 11 Sep 2007 12:48 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
I will acknowledge that I misread some of your initial post above. However, the following two items seem pretty clear and "transparent" to me. They made the law. They are upholding it. Fair? That's another topic altogether. Clear and transparent? Very.

i.e. have not applied for an NRIC, extended their Singapore passport validity beyond the age of 11

Generally, those who left Singapore after the age of 11 will be deemed to have enjoyed the socio-economic benefits of Singapore. They will not be allowed to renounce their Singapore citizenship without fulfilling NS obligations.
I'll just leave you with "Good Luck" and I hope you are successful.[/quote]

It's puzzling how you can still misread my purpose here after so many posts. My son is 11 years old, and I have understood perfectly the Singapore law that was WRITTEN, and btw was changed many times:

one with raising the amount of bond to $75,000 PLUS $20,000 fine without enough notice for some who were caught in this situation

second with the change to age 13 last year thereby giving the govt clearance for an argument that those who left before age 11 would have 2 years, more than enough time to get another citizenship.

So, what's wrong with these changes (and who knows how many more to come)? You agree with me that it takes more than 2 years to plan for life decision issues and yet it is so easy for you to shake off the idea of humane consideration and respect by saying "Good Luck", this is the law. You have been in Singapore for so many years, and I wonder if that has anything to do with your failure to comprehend these implications...

But then again, reading your further posts confirms my impression about how off-key you are:
That's because the draft was mothballed in 1975 and we have a 100% voluntary army. These are the dregs of society that can't hold a job in civilian life or have a quirk for killing and maiming (in other words, sicko's) Obviously that is an overstatement but the numbers and problems kinda speaks for itself.

On the other hand, if every man jack has to serve at least you get a mix with educated people (who have some leadership capabilities) to control the rabble within the ranks.
Politics aside but I have lived in the midwest for 8 years now (other States a few years before) and also traveled many countries. Never have I met so many well-respected army dads before, one whom I think is the smartest, is currently studying in my class. I find your statement to be offensively ignorant and cold.

Somebody asked why so many Singaporeans wanting to leave the country, I can't say for the other Singaporeans. For me, it is precisely the will of wanting to be able to choose how best to live my life and not be stuck with people who tells you to just accept what you've got!

SMS, you are a only paper tiger on this issue since no matter how long you've lived in Singapore, you are still just an expat. I don't blame you. You will never comprehend the 'thoughts and plans' from our govt of my culture, especially if you don't open your heart and 'see', I mean really open your eyes.

On the other hand, I also realized that my question will not get a respond as it is a tabooed one.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 Sep 2007 2:33 pm

Sg_mom wrote:
That's because the draft was mothballed in 1975 and we have a 100% voluntary army. These are the dregs of society that can't hold a job in civilian life or have a quirk for killing and maiming (in other words, sicko's) Obviously that is an overstatement but the numbers and problems kinda speaks for itself.

On the other hand, if every man jack has to serve at least you get a mix with educated people (who have some leadership capabilities) to control the rabble within the ranks.
Politics aside but I have lived in the midwest for 8 years now (other States a few years before) and also traveled many countries. Never have I met so many well-respected army dads before, one whom I think is the smartest, is currently studying in my class. I find your statement to be offensively ignorant and cold. I find your ignorance of the news rather pitiful. Kinda like the Ostrich syndrome.

Somebody asked why so many Singaporeans wanting to leave the country, I can't say for the other Singaporeans. For me, it is precisely the will of wanting to be able to choose how best to live my life and not be stuck with people who tells you to just accept what you've got!

And THAT made you decide to go to the US? Poor deluded soul.

SMS, you are a only paper tiger on this issue since no matter how long you've lived in Singapore, you are still just an expat. I don't blame you. You will never comprehend the 'thoughts and plans' from our govt of my culture, especially if you don't open your heart and 'see', I mean really open your eyes.

You are right. I am only a PR and only ever intend to be a PR. I owe absolutely no allegiance to this country nor would I ever want to. If you want to resort to namecalling feel free. I'll not edit your post.

On the other hand, I also realized that my question will not get a respond as it is a tabooed one.

Which question is tabooed? One of these? These seem to be the only ones you asked.
Sg_mom wrote: Has Singapore no, absolutely no obligation at all to a Singapore citizen (me) who paid tax all my life owe my son a legal status? Is it always what we owe the country? What would my son be, an exile? He has not commit a crime for goodness sake! And I intend to abide by the law to submit an intention before 13, so what did we do wrong?
You sure turned the above question around. "Is it always what we owe the country?" Yes, it is. What did you do wrong? I will assume you lived in landed property while you were in Singapore. I will also assume that you delivered your son in a Private Hospital as opposed to a government hospital. The litany could go on and on I suppose......

Even in the USofA it's what you owe the country. If you are an American Citizen you will be taxed on your worldwide income no matter where your are or how long you are in another country. It doesn't matter if you are a PR of another country or not. As long as you carry a US passport you will be liable to pay taxes in both places. Singapore doesn't do that does that.

If you become American Citizen and your son becomes an American Citizen he would/will be expected to serve his country if called up (just like I would have been had I not enlisted and became a Chopper Pilot in Vietnam back in 1966, over 40 years ago). You want to talk about obligations?

Singapore, for all it's warts, is still a pretty good place. I made a conscious, educated choice to bring up my family here and to give them dual citizenship as well. I left the choice up to my son who over the years, came to the same conclusions and made the same choice that I would have made. Had he said he never wanted to return to Singapore I could have sent him back to the farm and let him grow up there. He figures that by doing his NS where he has little or no chance of harm (he hasn't ever had a nanny/maid to carry his books around or pick up behind him local style) it will keep both avenues open for him later in life should he want to stay or return to Singapore in the "Future". (I may have been out of the loop regarding the age change of 13. I have tried to find that information but have not been successful as of yet - your link to the appropriate webpage would be appreciated) I am aware of the bond as I also have the same thing. The only difference between us from what I see - is your perspective - is it's very local (cultural). But as you say, I don't understand your culture. You see, the difference is I don't want to handicap my kids in the future. I want them to have every opportunity possible in the future. I want his options open.
Maybe you should post your "Disgruntled Singaporean" questions on a local forum where you can find similar posters and attitudes.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

mayamomi
Regular
Regular

Post by mayamomi » Tue, 11 Sep 2007 2:53 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Sg_mom wrote:
, The only difference between us from what I see - is your perspective - is it's very local (cultural). But as you say, I don't understand your culture. [/color]
sms
local (cultural) -- mums being overprotective of their kids and thats why we have so many wimps and mummies' boys in singapore... :roll:

children (boys & girls alike) stick to their parents like leeches and are over-dependent on them to think & do everything for them... unable to make decisions for themselves... due to parents worrying too much without exposing them to the REAL world... sad... :?
To you, he's a dog...
To me, he's everything...

tingal79
Regular
Regular

Post by tingal79 » Wed, 12 Sep 2007 9:29 pm

Glad to know that at least one moderator is doing some real work here. Shifting this part of the thread to rubbish is indeed bringing back some faith I used to have in moderators of this forum.

I still cannot believe that I am seeing this:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Maybe you should post your "Disgruntled Singaporean" questions on a local forum where you can find similar posters and attitudes.

If one is not entitled to his or her opinion on this forum simply because you do not agree with it, then why not change the name of this forum to your nick? xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com/forum?