Singapore Expats

Renewal of EP

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
sprdb

Renewal of EP

Post by sprdb » Mon, 10 Sep 2007 10:58 pm

Is renewal of EP as difficult as getting a new EP ? Does it normally get renewed easily ? Any experiences to share ?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Renewal of EP

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 Sep 2007 12:15 am

sprdb wrote:Is renewal of EP as difficult as getting a new EP ? Does it normally get renewed easily ? Any experiences to share ?
Normally, it's very quick and easy. Unless you are changing employers then there may be a problem if the new employer cannot easily justify why they want a foreigner. If you are still working for the same employer it is usually a skate in the park. Don't sweat it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sprdb

Post by sprdb » Tue, 11 Sep 2007 12:37 am

Thanks for the reply. One more question. How many times can a EP be renewed. Is there any limitation on the number of times the EP being renewed. If yes, how does one continue to work ?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 11 Sep 2007 3:04 pm

Indefinitely
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Tue, 11 Sep 2007 8:20 pm

sprdb wrote:Thanks for the reply. One more question. How many times can a EP be renewed. Is there any limitation on the number of times the EP being renewed. If yes, how does one continue to work ?
If you have a half-decent job, you can probably get permanent residence in Singapore in 1-2 years, before even your first EP renewal. PR (or, to be precise, your re-entry permit) also has to be renewed every 5-10 years, but that's pretty much automatic as long as you're still making money and paying your taxes.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

bunty
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bunty » Tue, 18 Sep 2007 11:34 am

Is anyone expereincing delays in PR appln processing (beyond 3 months). have submiited appln in june. yet to hear anything from ICA.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 18 Sep 2007 12:43 pm

bunty wrote:Is anyone expereincing delays in PR appln processing (beyond 3 months). have submiited appln in june. yet to hear anything from ICA.
I can tell you that it took me 7 hours to COLLECT my PR once approved... the ICA was an absolute zoo, chock full of people both submitting applications and picking up PR docs.

bunty
Reporter
Reporter

Post by bunty » Tue, 18 Sep 2007 2:01 pm

strong egale
u mean u got ur PR in 7 hours after submitting application!!!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 18 Sep 2007 3:04 pm

Please reread SE's post. It said it took him 7 hours to "collect" his PR. Not apply for it. It is necessary to go collect your PR, re-entry permit, NRIC (identity card), etc...

CAT777
Regular
Regular

Post by CAT777 » Tue, 18 Sep 2007 3:26 pm

bunty wrote:Is anyone expereincing delays in PR appln processing (beyond 3 months). have submiited appln in june. yet to hear anything from ICA.
As a rule it doesnt take more than 3 mnth to hear from ICA...but pls note in July they didn't work for 1 or 2 weeks to renew and reinstall computer software, during this period they didn't process any applications what may cause delay

sourisso
Regular
Regular

Post by sourisso » Tue, 18 Sep 2007 3:35 pm

my girlfriend got her PR approved 6 months after application.
if you check the website, from what i remember, they says process takes 6 months so if you don't get anything from them after 3 months its normal.

once its approved, you go ICA with your letter and the photos and stuff and it takes one day to "collect" as Strong Eagle said.

We arrived there at 9AM, it was finished at 6h30PM.

because its not exactly 'collecting it', but more like 'doing it'.

it doesnt take so long actually, you only stay with the agents for 10mn in total maybe, the problem is that you wait 3 hours between each visit to agent and there is 3 different visits if i remember good before they give you the entry permit.

then you leave ICA with the entry permit and come back the week after to collect the IC.