Singapore Expats Forum


Discuss your views about Singapore business & economy, current policies & issues, starting a business in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Citibank International Wealth Management

Posts: 83
Joined: Tue, 13 Mar 2007


Postby sourisso » Mon, 10 Sep 2007 1:30 pm


im french, my girlfriend is a permanent resident here, working and living here. i come to singapore to visit her regularly, now its about time we find a way to stay together, so im looking for possibilites here.
tough it would help, we arent married yet so im still on social visit pass when i come. can i get dependant pass sponsored by her ?

i have an idea for starting a business here, i read a lot of informations here and on singapore official websites etc.

im looking now for a place wich would be appropriate for my idea, but lets say i find one that would fits and i could rent for the business.

i read stories from people who had their company registered already when applying for entrepass, but from what i understand, you can't rent a place with a social visit pass, so i need to know what should i do in the first place.. prepare my business plan and apply for entrepass, then set the company ?

or rent the place on my girlfriend name, set the business someway with her and partners (pte ltd) , and then apply for entrepass ? but how do i get involved as partner out of a social visit pass ?

thanks for any tips, i read a lot and understood whats needed and what it takes, im just getting confused about what should be my first step.

User avatar
Posts: 3014
Joined: Tue, 09 Dec 2003
Location: Terra Australis Incognita

Postby jpatokal » Mon, 10 Sep 2007 9:32 pm

Unless you're married, common-law or otherwise, you'll have a tough time getting a dependant pass. If you're starting a company anyway, an EntrePass is probably the way to go, and you should apply before you form the company. Start with the excellent sticky:
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Posts: 83
Joined: Tue, 13 Mar 2007

Postby sourisso » Mon, 10 Sep 2007 10:43 pm

thanks for the reply

i tought of getting another pass to have more time here to prepare my business plan, partnership etc, here in singapore with my girlfriend instead of having to do it far from here in france, preparing to apply for EntrePass, all this will certainly take some time. thats why i tought of dependant pass. but indeed without marriage it might not be easy.
i sent enquiry to ICA anyway, it doesnt cost to try. :cool:

ill also go to embassy and make a certificate of common-law, then apply for long term social visit pass, if i can get my girlfriend employer to sponsor me, should be easier.

then it gives me time to prepare my business plan here, and following the useful advices from this website :)

  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to “Business in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests