Singapore Expats

Singapore water and falling hair?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
prkravi
Chatter
Chatter

Singapore water and falling hair?

Post by prkravi » Fri, 07 Sep 2007 12:19 pm

Hi..
Im having problems with heavy hairfall. I am from India and its now close to about 10 months that ive been here.
But i notice that im having a lot of hair fall recently. Also an increase in Dandruff. Just wondering if it's got anything to do with the water???
Has anyone gone through this as well here? Pls let me know what was the remedy i dont want to go bald that soon!!
Thanks!

elska76
Chatter
Chatter

Post by elska76 » Fri, 07 Sep 2007 12:31 pm

Hi Prkravi,

There are alot of reasons to hairfall.....we all know some men start losing their hair due to the genes or heredity but apart from that these are the following reasons:

1)diet....too much coffee/tea/milk will cause hair fall...water is the best
2)shampoo....not suitable to sensitive scalp
3)humidity....not sure hows the humidity in india (ive never been there)
4)stress

These are some of the reasons i can think of.

I used to have a hair loss problem but it has since been treated. I have sensitive oily scalp with dry ends. I was losing my hair cos of the unsuitable shampoo i was using. The shampoo actually aggravated the situation. I went for scalp treatment regularly at my hair stylist and it is now under control. Now i onli need to go for treatment once every 3-6 months to get rid of all the build up from shampoo & styling products.
Once the scalp is healthy...you will continue to have healthy hair and regular hair growth. Best to visit a trichologist but their treatments can be very expensive....so my advise would be to visit a hair salon that does scalp treatment and try it first. If it doesnt help then visit a trichologist.
Some people are alive cos its illegal to kill ;)

prkravi
Chatter
Chatter

Hair Loss

Post by prkravi » Fri, 07 Sep 2007 7:15 pm

Hi Elska,
Thanks for that advice.
But when you say Scalp Treatment, there again i believe there are different types and products right? So what should i opt for?
Thanks.

dreampotion
Regular
Regular

Post by dreampotion » Fri, 07 Sep 2007 9:18 pm

i agree with prkravi, there is something about singapore that could have triggered hairfall, perhaps weather conditions that irritate skin problems on the scalp? or msg in food?

elska76
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Hair Loss

Post by elska76 » Fri, 07 Sep 2007 9:30 pm

Hi prkravi,

Currently im using Loreal's Sensi-balance shampoo to look after my scalp. My stylist is located at Salon Esprit inside Esprit at vivo city....They do offer scalp treatments using Loreal products.

I used to use Philip Kingsley when i had hair loss problems but its expensive and so is the treatment. But you can check it out if you like.

http://www.leonica-intl.com.sg/pk.html

Hope this helps :)
prkravi wrote:Hi Elska,
Thanks for that advice.
But when you say Scalp Treatment, there again i believe there are different types and products right? So what should i opt for?
Thanks.

prkravi
Chatter
Chatter

Hair Fall

Post by prkravi » Fri, 07 Sep 2007 10:19 pm

Elska,
India - The climate is more or less the same like what we see in SG. Infact worse due to HEAVY pollution.
But fact remains that i was having no problems there.
But almost in say 2 months of having coming to SG, i noticed that my hair had lost its texture, thickness and my scalp had more prolific dandruff (must admit that i used to have dandruff back home, but not worse).

And one of my colleagues also who apparently is from India, today was commenting on this, thats where it triggered me that there could be something about SG that's causing the problem.

My Physician has put me on Nizoral now for the last couple of weeks for the dandruff, and i must admit it has worked...but the hair is all like twigs now.

So im wondering if i should go see a Trichologist now..but like you said, they cost a fortune!
- Ravi.

elska76
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Hair Fall

Post by elska76 » Fri, 07 Sep 2007 10:41 pm

Hi Ravi,

I agree that apart from the other reasons i gave you earlier, the water in singapore could play a part to your hair growing differently from back home.

When i travel to Malaysia, my scalp will react quite badly too but when im back here, scalp is back to normal again.

How long have you been on Nizoral?

I would suggest that maybe you should visit a trichologist for consultation first before you decide if you wanna go ahead with the treatment. For all you know my view of expensive could be affordable for you :)

Alternatively, you can also visit the National Skin Centre for consultation too.

Hope this helps.
prkravi wrote:Elska,
India - The climate is more or less the same like what we see in SG. Infact worse due to HEAVY pollution.
But almost in say 2 months of having coming to SG, i noticed that my hair had lost its texture, thickness and my scalp had more prolific dandruff (must admit that i used to have dandruff back home, but not worse).

And one of my colleagues also who apparently is from India, today was commenting on this, thats where it triggered me that there could be something about SG that's causing the problem.

My Physician has put me on Nizoral now for the last couple of weeks for the dandruff, and i must admit it has worked...but the hair is all like twigs now.

So im wondering if i should go see a Trichologist now..but like you said, they cost a fortune!
- Ravi.

dreampotion
Regular
Regular

Post by dreampotion » Fri, 07 Sep 2007 10:45 pm

shouldnt use nizoral so often, only when the problem insists.
it will cause ure hair and scalp to be really dried.

FannyAdams

Post by FannyAdams » Sat, 08 Sep 2007 4:15 pm

I don't know what it is about here but my hair falls out a heck of a lot more than I'd ever noticed before. I see quite a few older women around with shockingly thin hair too, which is something that I've never noticed in other countries. I always assumed it was to do with the heat & humidity and the resultant open pores, but if you (Ravi) reckon it doesn't happen in India then that blows my theory out of the water.

I've recently started using one of those anti-thinning shampoos although I'm usually loathe to part with money in the pursuit of aesthetic happiness but it's a product connected to one of the only 2 scientifically proven hair loss treatments. There has been no perceptible difference so far (I've only been using it for a couple of weeks) but I live in hope. I'm not going to puff it here. It's widely available (Guardian/Watsons etc). Hope you know what I mean.

karishma_tiwari
Regular
Regular

Re: Hair Fall

Post by karishma_tiwari » Wed, 12 Sep 2007 3:40 pm

i am malaysian, from jb, been in sg for one year now, and ive not seen my hair becoming 'better' being in singapore.. my point it the climate and pollution in both msia and sg is exactly the same

indian climate is hot as sg/msia but the humidity there is very little compared to the local humidity.. i think your (ravi) hair problem is most probably due to that.. there are few things u can do to lessen dandruff (other than using anti dandruff products)
1) use less shampoo - residues left over can cause dry scalp and dandruff
2) wash yr hair throroughly after shampooing
3) keep yr hair moisturised, dry scalp is bad news

i have also noticed that guys experience dandruff more often than girls.. it is a hormonal thing 8-)

elska76 wrote:Hi Ravi,

I agree that apart from the other reasons i gave you earlier, the water in singapore could play a part to your hair growing differently from back home.

When i travel to Malaysia, my scalp will react quite badly too but when im back here, scalp is back to normal again.

How long have you been on Nizoral?

I would suggest that maybe you should visit a trichologist for consultation first before you decide if you wanna go ahead with the treatment. For all you know my view of expensive could be affordable for you :)

Alternatively, you can also visit the National Skin Centre for consultation too.

Hope this helps.
prkravi wrote:Elska,

- Ravi.
:cool: The engineer says, "this glass is twice as big as it needs to be"

elska76
Chatter
Chatter

Post by elska76 » Wed, 12 Sep 2007 3:46 pm

Having dandraff do not mean that you have a dry scalp......i used to have flaky itchy scalp cos i was using the wrong shampoo. My scalp is oily but my hair ends are dry.

Please be careful what you use before you start losing all your hair and it will be too late to do something about it cos the roots are dead.

Leslie

Post by Leslie » Wed, 12 Sep 2007 9:43 pm

elska76 wrote:Hi prkravi,

Currently im using Loreal's Sensi-balance shampoo to look after my scalp. My stylist is located at Salon Esprit inside Esprit at vivo city....They do offer scalp treatments using Loreal products.
Hi Elska76,

How much does a scalp treatment cost? Does it includes hair trimming? Will they suggest which shampoo to use after the treatment?

Thanks,
Leslie

dreampotion
Regular
Regular

Post by dreampotion » Fri, 14 Sep 2007 12:28 am

Leslie wrote:
elska76 wrote:Hi prkravi,

Hi Elska76,

How much does a scalp treatment cost? Does it includes hair trimming? Will they suggest which shampoo to use after the treatment?

Thanks,
Leslie
ive been for scalp treatments,
its not very good for people with hair loss problems

u sld seek professionals instead if u have the money

astrogirl
Regular
Regular

Post by astrogirl » Fri, 14 Sep 2007 1:23 am

Anyone believes what they say that it's normal to loose 100 strands of hair a day? I've read this several times at several sites! That's very scary!

I've also read that oily scalp causes hair loss. I've noticed that if I wash my hair everyday, there seems to be less hair fall. I'm reluctant to wash everyday, it's time consuming and some how it feels that I'm harming my hair more. Anyone feels the same way? Any comments?
astrogirl

elska76
Chatter
Chatter

Post by elska76 » Fri, 14 Sep 2007 9:50 am

Some people would say scalp treatment is useless and some people will say it works :)

As for me, scalp treatment worked on me :) I have a bald patch about the size of a 50 cent coin back in '99 i think......thats when i met my current hair stylist and thats when he introduced scalp treatment to me. I started out with once a week and after a month...my hair started growing!

Now i do not have the bald patch anymore and dont have to do once a week treatment with him anymore....I go when i feel there is alot of build up residue on my scalp or if the scalp itches or there is any sign of dandraff :)

There are many options:

1)Visit National Skin Centre
2)Visit Trichologist
3)Scalp treatment

Just a note, if your scalp cannot see the "roots" embedded.....chances are your hair will not grow back again. When i had the bald patch....i could still see my roots but covered by alot of residue that the hair refuse to grow.
How i know this? My stylist have a device that allows us to see close up view of your scalp :)
My stylist wouldnt just do scalp treatment for anyone unless he is confident the hair condition will improve!

The scalp treatment i go for is S$88 per treatment which i buy a package of 5 i get 1 treatment free...I cant remember the exact cost of the treatment cos usually i get a discount on top of that.
But if anyone is interested, i can always find out for you.

Hope this helps....