Singapore Expats Forum

HELP needed for Japanese translation!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

CrUeL

HELP needed for Japanese translation!

Postby CrUeL » Fri, 07 Sep 2007 12:28 am

Any brothers and sisters here good in japanese? could you help me in japanese translation of food menu dishes?

Thanks. :D

Jason_0035071

Postby Jason_0035071 » Sun, 09 Sep 2007 10:51 am

Your brave asking strangers to translate for you. I once had an American girl ask me to teach her how to say "I'm hungry" in Japanese. So I taught her to say "I'm horny" instead. She had no idea what she was really saying. Not only did she memorize the phrase, but she put the perfect amount of emotion into how she said it. I'm sure she must have been very popular with any Japanese guys she met after that. She may have even been taken to dinner using that phrase. :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 09 Sep 2007 3:55 pm

You could have caused her to come to bodily harm with your stupid practical joke. It would appear that you are definitely somewhat of a jerk wouldn't it. Especially since you came off that way in another thread as well. :roll:

mayamomi
Regular
Regular

Postby mayamomi » Sun, 09 Sep 2007 5:41 pm

Jason_0035071 wrote:Your brave asking strangers to translate for you. I once had an American girl ask me to teach her how to say "I'm hungry" in Japanese. So I taught her to say "I'm horny" instead. She had no idea what she was really saying. Not only did she memorize the phrase, but she put the perfect amount of emotion into how she said it. I'm sure she must have been very popular with any Japanese guys she met after that. She may have even been taken to dinner using that phrase. :)

i've done the same before, teaching pple the wrong words in a different language... but not without correcting them after a short while, but harmless phrases, definitely not "i'm horny", especially for ladies...

i think the OP's nick suits u more. :mad:

i hope nothing bad happened to her or u'd be guilty all ur life! :x
To you, he's a dog...
To me, he's everything...

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Sun, 09 Sep 2007 10:12 pm

My personal favorite along these lines is somebody's translation of useful hitchhiking phrases into Japanese:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Wikitravel:Bad ... e_in_Japan

I can just see waving down a car and, when the driver rolls down the window, apologetically asking whether they are a master of tit-f*cking... :-#

(And oh, lest y'all go on an "eek never trust a wiki" tangent here, the original lasted about 3 minutes before it was spotted and fixed.)
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Jason_0035071

Postby Jason_0035071 » Mon, 24 Sep 2007 11:52 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You could have caused her to come to bodily harm with your stupid practical joke. It would appear that you are definitely somewhat of a jerk wouldn't it. Especially since you came off that way in another thread as well. :roll:

SMS,

Sorry to take so long to reply to you. I don't spend 24 hours a day on this site like you apparently do.

Your message made me go check up on the girl. I found out that learning that phrase inspire the girl to take a trip to Japan. Since that was the only Japanese she knew, she used it the moment she stepped off the plane and was immediately gang raped by Japanese customs official then sold to the Yakuza. She was never heard from again because of my silly practical joke. If only you had straightened me out sooner!

If it appears that I am a jerk then that may be simply the perspective of a judgemental, humorless, self important person like yourself. I'm sure you will reply within 10 minutes of this post. I'll check back if/when I have time. : )

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:47 pm

10 minutes are long over, you lost your bet!
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso