Singapore Expats Forum

Beach v'ball @ KM8 Sentosa every Sat 1pm - PLS READ INTRO

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
bigdaddi
Regular
Regular

Beach v'ball @ KM8 Sentosa every Sat 1pm - PLS READ INTRO

Postby bigdaddi » Sun, 02 Sep 2007 12:48 pm

As this is my last thread for beach volleyball for a while, im going to leave this one open for everyone to see. I wont be making the usual attendence lists as i certainly dont think ill have the time to follow it through. Just turn up as there's always people there if not the die-hards!

As for newbies, just look for the covered table right next to the volleyball court and that should be us! Whether you want to learn, play, chill or see whats it all about ... just turn up and do as you please! If you have any questions, leave them on the forum and either myself (if i have time in the UK) or my players will help answer any queries you may have. Best not to pm me as i can guarantee you will not get a quick response. Im in a different time zone!!! :wink: As many of my friends will say, ive got a lot on my plate back home so organising this will be my lowest priority!

As to the weather, we go regardless of rain or shine and we play from about 1-7pm or at least till the fading light. We've even played in heavy rain (almost coming at you horizontally!) but unlike other countries, the rain is always short lived and followed by lovely sunshine! Sentosa seems to have its own weather system from the rest of Singapore

All levels are welcome and if you're an absolute beginner, like many people before you, theres ample opportunity to learn from the players there. Dont be shy if you need help or training!!!! Even from scratch!

FINAL REMINDER - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE! IF YOU ARE BRINGING YOUR OWN FOOD AND DRINK TO THE VENUE, CONSUME IT VERY DISCREETLY AS KM8 WILL BAN, AND HAVE DONE IN THE PAST, GROUPS WHO HAVE TAKEN LIBERTIES. I GUESS BEING THE 'CAPTAIN' AND KNOWING THE MANAGEMENT AND STAFF VERY WELL OVER TIME, IVE MANAGED TO HELP THE GROUP GET AWAY WITH STUFF AND THEYVE TURNED A BLIND EYE TO MANY INCIDENTS BUT SINCE I WONT BE AROUND FOR A WHILE, I ASK THAT SELF POLICING OF SOME SORT SHOULD BE ADHERED TO. I CERTAINLY DONT WANT TO COME BACK TO FIND THERES NO MORE VOLLEYBALL FOR ME TO ORGANISE!

(THE COURT IS THE property OF KM8 AND ONLY CUSTOMERS OF KM8 CAN PLAY - THEY DONT LIKE NON-CUSTOMERS PLAYING VB BECAUSE IF THE COURT GETS DAMAGED, AND IT HAS IN THE PAST, THEY DONT MIND PAYING TO REPAIR IT IF IT WAS DUE TO CUSTOMERS - THEY HATE IT WHEN ITS OUTSIDERS SO THEY NOW POLICE THIS AND YOU CAN USE THIS TO YOUR ADVANTAGE IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A GAME AND OUTSIDERS ARE ON THE COURT, JUST INFORM MANAGEMENT!)

I DONT WANT TO SOUND LIKE A BROKEN RECORD BUT WE ARE ONTO A GOOD THING - WE GET SOOOO MUCH VB TIME NOWADAYS DESPITE THE LARGE SIZE OF THE GROUP SO PLEASE, DONT TAKE THE PISS WHEN CONSUMING YOUR OWN STUFF. BE DISCREET ABOUT IT AND DONT MESS IT UP BY GETTING THE GROUP BANNED WHEN A VERY LARGE MAJORITY OF THE GROUP DO BUY DO BUY JUGS OF DRINKS AND ORDER FOOD FROM KM8.

A CASE OF YOU LOOK AFTER THEM, AND BELIEVE ME, THEY WILL LOOK AFTER YOU! MANAGEMENT HAVE EVEN KICKED OTHER PEOPLE OFF THE ONLY ROOFED TABLE BY THE COURT JUST FOR OUR SOLE DUE TO THE FACT THEY KNOW US VERY WELL AND THAT IT HAS BECOME ALMOST AN INSTITUTIONAL WATERING AREA FOR US! ITS REALLY CONVENIENT AS ITS THE 'BEST' TABLE AND NEAREST TO THE ACTION! YOU SCRATCH THEIR BACK, AND THEYLL CERTAINLY SCRATCH YOURS!

My last note is to say, have a great time everybody! Enjoy yourselves and ill certainly miss my weekly pilgrimage to Sentosa! Keep in touch and I hope to be back sooner than you think. Ill try and leave my wit and dry sense of humour back home too!!!!! O:)
Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt and live like there's no tomorrow!

bigdaddi
Regular
Regular

Postby bigdaddi » Mon, 03 Sep 2007 1:13 am

As my parting shot ....

Here is the players list for this coming, and for now, my last as organiser of the beach volleyball for this Sat 8th ....

(Auto include!)

Me,
Debs (and her four legged friends)
Bobby & co,
Fraser,
Lilly,
Mani

A fond farewell to 'Bob' from Finland and to Laco who will be away on lengthy work projects ... on behalf of the team, have a great time and look forward to seeing you back in Singapore soon!!!
Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt and live like there's no tomorrow!

deb96
Chatter
Chatter

Postby deb96 » Mon, 03 Sep 2007 8:33 am

8-) A lengthy post from Bigdaddi.

The game was great last week and I am still suffering from some muscle problem.Hope to recover the soonest and make it for the game.

cheers to all who turn up!

Debs :)

MC Donalds

Postby MC Donalds » Mon, 03 Sep 2007 9:33 am

Hey Debs, I hope your ankle is all right!

Mark, you will be greately missed and you'd better make sure that you get back here soon. You don't want me to fly all the way to England to drag you back, do you? No, SQ first class will not happen. I'm thinking of Aeroflot and those little cages where Trouble et al. travel.

Yeah, I'll be there on Saturday. It's Monday morning and I'm already day dreaming of another Saturday! Look forward for playing with you again folks!

bigdaddi
Regular
Regular

Postby bigdaddi » Mon, 03 Sep 2007 10:27 am

MC Donalds wrote:Mark, you will be greately missed and you'd better make sure that you get back here soon. You don't want me to fly all the way to England to drag you back, do you? No, SQ first class will not happen. I'm thinking of Aeroflot and those little cages where Trouble et al.

LOL! You can try but with my current status, ill end like in the movie The Terminal and live in the transit lounge!!!
You'd come over here? Hmmm ... i wonder what you're like babysitting kids???? My sons never seen the world from 8 feet high!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, hope everyone has a good week ahead ... fond farewells also to CEH, Nike and Sudip(?) who are also away on their hols/business this week!

Hope you get better soon too Debs!

Update on players ...

Me,
Bobby & co,
Fraser,
Lilly,
Mani,
McDonalds

MC Donalds

Postby MC Donalds » Mon, 03 Sep 2007 11:28 am

I'm a great babysitter! After spending time with me, the kids usually realize how much they love their parents and how much they really want to spend more time with them instead.

I'll be coming to Europe in three week's time and have in fact been looking for an excuse to drop by in the UK so think twice whether you really want to give me that excuse!

deb96
Chatter
Chatter

Postby deb96 » Mon, 03 Sep 2007 1:45 pm

This week will be your last game...I will make an effort to crawl there even if I cant walk properly. :lol:

Leela
Regular
Regular

Postby Leela » Mon, 03 Sep 2007 6:22 pm

Hey Bigdaddi, JermD and I will be there too. I'll take some more group pictures, this time earlier in the afternoon, so that all those who had already left last Saturday and missed the photo session can have a picture with you before you leave.

Hopefully it won't be pouring down like it has today.
:wink:

astr
Regular
Regular

Postby astr » Mon, 03 Sep 2007 6:36 pm

im a newbie, n i got blood clot patches on both my wrists from playin. even though i kno didley squad bout playin d game im so gonna be there. chiller/player?!?! quoi que.
:D

bigdaddi
Regular
Regular

Postby bigdaddi » Mon, 03 Sep 2007 9:09 pm

Blood patches eh? Sounds like maybe you're not digging it correctly .... turn up early and we'll run through some practice as always.

Thanks Leela! Your last pics were really nice too!

Players update ..

Me,
Bobby & co,
Fraser,
Lilly,
Mani,
McDonalds,
JermD,
Leela,
Astr,
Julia,
Seafishes

Chillers ....

Hit
Beachbum
Last edited by bigdaddi on Wed, 05 Sep 2007 12:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

astr
Regular
Regular

Postby astr » Mon, 03 Sep 2007 10:33 pm

sure will do. thx a ton. :)

p.s.- im fragile anyway.

slm

Postby slm » Mon, 03 Sep 2007 11:36 pm

:( hmmm... I am already back at home - 13 degrees Celsius, raining and the nearest beach is 1500km far from here.

Anyway - enjoy the game on Saturday :)
Have fun,
Laco
Perpetual optimism is annoying. It is a sign that you are not paying attention.

bigdaddi
Regular
Regular

Postby bigdaddi » Tue, 04 Sep 2007 12:42 am

slm wrote::( hmmm... I am already back at home - 13 degrees Celsius, raining and the nearest beach is 1500km far from here.

Have fun,
Laco

You'll be missed but keep in touch mate! Anyway, ill be away for a bit with about almost the exact same weather too but even though the 'beach' is only 75 km away, its more pebbles and stones! LOL! With the Irish Sea breeze, it'll feel more like -10C so for those who complain thats it too hot at Sentosa, think about how good you've really got it! :-s

MC Donalds

Postby MC Donalds » Tue, 04 Sep 2007 8:57 am

Here's what we talk about when we talk about cool temperatures.

+15 C This is as warm as it gets in Finland, so we'll start here. People in Spain wear winter-coats and gloves. The Finns are out in the sun, getting a tan.

+10 C The French are trying in vain to start their central heating. The Finns plant flowers in their gardens.

+5 C Italian cars won't start, The Finns are cruising in cabriolets.

0 C Distilled water freezes. The water in Vantaa river (in Finland) gets a little thicker.

-5 C People in California almost freeze to death. The Finns have their final barbecue before winter.

-10 C The Brits start the heat in their houses. The Finns start using long sleeves

-20 C The Aussies flee from Mallorca. The Finns end their Midsummer celebrations. Autumn is here.

-30 C People in Greece die from the cold and disappear from the face of the earth. The Finns start drying their laundry indoors.

-40 C Paris starts cracking in the cold. The Finns stand in line at the hotdog stands.

-50 C Polar bears start evacuating the North Pole. The Finnish army postpones their winter survival training awaiting real winter weather.

-60 C Korvatunturi (the home for Santa Claus) freezes. The Finns rent a movie and stay indoors.

-70 C The false Santa moves south. The Finns get frustrated since they can't store their Kossu (Koskenkorva vodka) outdoors. The Finnish army goes out on winter survival training.

-183 C Microbes in food don't survive. The Finnish cows complain that the farmers' hands are cold.

-273 C ALL atom-based movent halts. The Finns start saying "Perkele, it's cold outside today.

-300 C Hell freezes over, Finland wins the Eurovision Song Contest.

deb96
Chatter
Chatter

Postby deb96 » Tue, 04 Sep 2007 9:09 am

slm wrote::( hmmm... I am already back at home - 13 degrees Celsius, raining and the nearest beach is 1500km far from here.

Have fun,
Laco

Hmmm..we will miss u Laco! Hope time flies faster.......and you will be back here for the game again!

So its minus...Hmmm, reminds me when I was in Moscow again. Infact, I did enjoy both the cold and the hot weather in different places.

I am taking a break at home today too! Will go for a good foot massage so that I can play again on Saturday. 8-)