Singapore Expats Forum

Cinema's and highschool kids

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vbelle » Tue, 05 Jan 2010 6:17 pm

i hope its not the first of many...

Superglide
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Superglide » Tue, 05 Jan 2010 6:51 pm

EADG wrote:And I've only had to do this in Singapore, not in NY or Japan or Australia or anywhere else.

Reason being it doesn't happen over there, reason being you'd risk being molested?

If I'd act like suggested here in Amsterdam, chances are it would turn violent.

Thing is, it happens all over the world, just that it is more innocent and easier to curb in Singapore.
If only we could pull out our brain and use only our eyes.
Pablo Picasso

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 11:14 am

The cheesehead, hoe gaat het, SG?, is right . . . in the 'West' trying to tell a group of youths off would end up in a fight . . . not so here.

Singapore 1 RoW 0

(Oh, that goes for Malaysia as well)

'nuff said Image

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ev-disinfection » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 9:36 pm

nyc4ever wrote:hands down the best place to watch movies is at the gold class seats at vivo city. it is insane! if nyc had that level quality of movie theaters, it would sell out in a heartbeat. how is it that sg has better movie theaters than nyc?

Singaporeans are in the top 5 countries in the world when it comes to watching movies, we visit the cinemas 2-3 times a year on average, that is why people throw money into making the cinemas nicer,

SMS might remember this, 10 -15 years ago, we had problems with people putting their legs on the chairs in front of them and some were even smoking in there... you can still see that in Batam's cinemas now. We have come a long way from that, and still need some time to educate those who talk too loud, use / check their handphones and fart discreetly / not so discreetly.
What i would do is to "SHHHHHH" them, stare / glance at them and once stood up to tell them off, while this would work cause i am local, for expats, it might not work with the same effect. what i would do if i were you, is to look at the local beside me, shake my head and direct my finger to the disturbance, while smiling and the local might just make them keep quiet.
But do not expect 100% silence when you watch a movie, maybe it might happen in the next 5-10 years...

my other 2 cents...

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby dazzlebabe » Thu, 07 Jan 2010 9:12 am

I remember watching a film in Capitol Cinema. But was distracted by the lovely architecture and the date i was with. And YES, my date was also smoking in the cinema then eventho it wasn't allowed. Never seen another cinema here with circle seats!
Just me

DazzleBabe

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Jan 2010 9:41 am

ev-disinfection wrote:SMS might remember this, 10 -15 years ago, we had problems with people putting their legs on the chairs in front of them and some were even smoking in there...

Yep, used to happen all the time at the old Lido! I spent more time there than at most other movie houses but eventually, just gave it up due to the "problems" as it was never an enjoyable experience and CD/DVDs weren't around back then, pirate VCR tapes were but they were so large and subject to mold and shoddy that it wasn't worth it......

Now I might go to a movie once a year and that's pushing it.

mrHomeLook

Postby mrHomeLook » Thu, 07 Jan 2010 11:16 am

i guess u cant expect everyone to have the decency to be well-mannered like us. so the only thing we can do is live with it, or basically, speak the noisy mongrels amiccably to get them to keep their gaps shut.
MR HomeLook

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Thu, 07 Jan 2010 11:20 am

mrHomeLook wrote:i guess u cant expect everyone to have the decency to be well-mannered like us.

You obviously haven't been around this place long enough . . .

'nuff said Image

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ev-disinfection » Thu, 07 Jan 2010 2:19 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
ev-disinfection wrote:SMS might remember this, 10 -15 years ago, we had problems with people putting their legs on the chairs in front of them and some were even smoking in there...

Yep, used to happen all the time at the old Lido! I spent more time there than at most other movie houses but eventually, just gave it up due to the "problems" as it was never an enjoyable experience and CD/DVDs weren't around back then, pirate VCR tapes were but they were so large and subject to mold and shoddy that it wasn't worth it......

Now I might go to a movie once a year and that's pushing it.

OMG, tickets S$ 2.50 and S$ 3.50
The current "SHAW HOUSE" (Orchard Road) is now in it's place,
I remembered buying 1 ticket, and open the exit doors to let my friends in, for the afternoon weekday movies.. lol

There was also the old Cathay, Odean, Capitol, Prince cinemas.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Jan 2010 4:15 pm

Because I was one of those bad boys of the oil fields, I tended to party around that area as the old Jockey Pub (good for prime rib) was in the back along with the attached St. Regis Pub (good for darts) and across the side street was the Tropicana! :oops: Also spend lots of time in the International Building next door to the LIDO when The Ginivey was there before they moved to the back tower of the FFOW at O/T. Also spent lots of time at the old Peyton Place back when it was a country venue and the Wongs' owned it. Been there, done that! :oops: