Singapore Expats Forum

Cinema's and highschool kids

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

nyc4ever

Postby nyc4ever » Sat, 02 Jan 2010 3:41 am

hands down the best place to watch movies is at the gold class seats at vivo city. it is insane! if nyc had that level quality of movie theaters, it would sell out in a heartbeat. how is it that sg has better movie theaters than nyc?

QRM
Manager
Manager

Postby QRM » Sat, 02 Jan 2010 12:24 pm

A while back in a UK cinema, there was a pair of middle age French ladies behind us just yabbing away. The guy next to us asked them to be quiet, after 5 mins they started again, he got up and pretended to trip and poured his coke all over them. He left and so did the women!!

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Postby Vaucluse » Sat, 02 Jan 2010 2:37 pm

nyc4ever wrote:hands down the best place to watch movies is at the gold class seats at vivo city. it is insane! if nyc had that level quality of movie theaters, it would sell out in a heartbeat. how is it that sg has better movie theaters than nyc?

You're from New York City . . . we get it. Every post . . . and the name . . . Ok. Thank you

Why would Singapore NOT have better cinemas? It has nicer parks . . . it is a safer place . . . is is cleaner . . . women are more attractive . . . people are friendlier (EADG is the exception to prove the rule) . . .

Many things about Singapore are better than NYC . . . why does that surprise you?

'nuff said Image

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sat, 02 Jan 2010 11:48 pm

Thanks for the nod, hafta differ here as in my experience the women in NYC are much hotter, diverse and interesting and in general the people more down to earth than here....

Good to revive this thread though, it should really be a Sticky as the theater experience here is a constant reminder how how things are different.

Funny how this came up in conversation over drinks today with a recent newcomer. Apparently he reached his tolerance point today at a movie and and let it be known the risk of continuing the disturbance (he's a big guy).

In NY movie theaters you don't get people speaking at normal talking volume levels like you do here, or people narrating the entire movie to their clueless girlfriends, or parents not educating or remanding their children for speaking out loud, or people not caring how loud their plastic containers are or even how loud they eat, usually with their mouths wide open as is a common practice (at least you don't have to see it in the theater like you do in restaurants).

I think it's gotten a bit better over the past few years. Maybe from people like me standing up, pointing them out and making an example of them. I've also found that if you avoid the Orchard cinemas you stand a slightly better chance of getting a slightly better class of people. Kinda depends on the movie. But like becoming Green, speaking proper English or 'learning' how to be kind it's really got to come from the masses themselves.

And yeah hafta admit the constant wearing of NYC on your sleeve is beginning to make me wonder a bit. Let's see what you have to say about taxis, in a separate thread.

QRM you are giving me ideas.....
Last edited by EADG on Sun, 03 Jan 2010 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sun, 03 Jan 2010 12:01 am

Sherlock in the heartlands was a full house and not word from anyone, though a smelly fart was rather unpleasant for 10 minutes not even any laughter, silent but deadly! :evil:

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Postby irvine » Mon, 04 Jan 2010 12:02 am

Just the luck huh? those chatting and loud bodily noises...

I've had the same experience one or two times, but generally after a nasty stare and saying sternly "STOP TALKING" at the doer, they'd cut it out. The 'accidentally' pouring of Coke is a great idea.

My pet peeve about cinema going is that smelly fella that would sit next to me. Just like entering certain taxis.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 Jan 2010 12:36 am

The smelly fart was probably ksl's and Baron's fueled! :P

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vbelle » Mon, 04 Jan 2010 5:16 pm

Remind me of my recent movie experience...last Tuesday..in Shaw House..watching Bodyguard and Assasins..

it was horrible..
people constantly chatting..this girl chat on the phone..pretty loud for a good 5 minutes at least..people checking their mobile phone (you notice that from the light)..people chat again...

sigh...

cbavasi
Reporter
Reporter

Postby cbavasi » Mon, 04 Jan 2010 5:38 pm

yes - the cell phone checking kills me! i have a really good friend who does that throughout the movie and it drives me nuts.

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vbelle » Mon, 04 Jan 2010 6:04 pm

ah..cbavasi..perhaps we share the same friend? ;p

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Mon, 04 Jan 2010 6:53 pm

Well cbavasi and vb, if you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem.

If you don't take a zero-tolerance stance on people being rude to you and those around you then you are simply enabling and actually encouraging them to continue it.

And the effect is that once it starts then other people start doing it too and the envelope gets pushed into further levels of low class behavior.

Standing up for what's right has the opposite effect.

Some of these people or their friends or the cowards sitting next to them unhappily tolerating this kind of thing are secretly hoping someone will tell them to STFU.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

irvine
Chatter
Chatter

Postby irvine » Mon, 04 Jan 2010 8:56 pm

Unfortunately zero tolerance only happens to the incompetent at work. LOL! Everything else, there's possibly the blind eye/ear here...

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Mon, 04 Jan 2010 9:53 pm

Not when you point them out and make an example of them. Works every time.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

vbelle
Chatter
Chatter

Postby vbelle » Tue, 05 Jan 2010 11:54 am

EADG wrote:Well cbavasi and vb, if you are not part of the solution then you are part of the problem.

If you don't take a zero-tolerance stance on people being rude to you and those around you then you are simply enabling and actually encouraging them to continue it.

And the effect is that once it starts then other people start doing it too and the envelope gets pushed into further levels of low class behavior.

Standing up for what's right has the opposite effect.

Some of these people or their friends or the cowards sitting next to them unhappily tolerating this kind of thing are secretly hoping someone will tell them to STFU.

well i did give unpleasant look to the girl next to me..she and boyfriend were pretty quiet after...but what do you suggest me doing to another 50 people in the cinema?
stand up and tell them to shut up? it did crossed my mind actually....;p
that was actually the only time i had such experience in SG cinema...where there are more than 1-2 annoying-rude people

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Tue, 05 Jan 2010 5:21 pm

That glance should be the first step, and sometimes that works but usually not in my experience. If they're rude enough to be doing it they're rude enough to not care and continue.

When that fails the next step is to politely say that they are disturbing you and ask them to be quiet.

When that fails and it continues to the point that something should be done about it, standing up so everyone looks at them (first they would be looking at you of course, but that will change quickly) and asking them in a voice that all around them can hear, is about all you can do, before getting management into the mix.

And yes, I've done all four, unfortunately more than once, except the standing up thing which I only had to do once.

And I've only had to do this in Singapore, not in NY or Japan or Australia or anywhere else.

vbelle wrote:well i did give unpleasant look to the girl next to me..she and boyfriend were pretty quiet after...but what do you suggest me doing to another 50 people in the cinema?
stand up and tell them to shut up? it did crossed my mind actually....;p
that was actually the only time i had such experience in SG cinema...where there are more than 1-2 annoying-rude people

Lucky for you it's been so seldom, I have not had such luck and it's been more like only 2-3 times in many years of going to movies here that there weren't some people weren't being rude.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape