Singapore Expats Forum

Undiscovered Places of Interest in Singapore

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Dounut
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Dounut » Fri, 21 Sep 2007 10:13 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Dounut wrote:
Jeppo wrote:
Dounut wrote:Haw Par Villa used to be a popular place when I was young, before it was being renovated into a Strange Theme Park, which charged S$16.

Did you also visit Gay World Park when you were young? :wink:

Yes. It's more like a Theme Park with some good restaurants inside. That was those old good days. :roll:

I hear you! I remember both Gay World and the Original Haw Par Villa. Was getting a bit tatty back then in the early '80's but still an interesting place in of itself. Making it over was a waste and like the Emerald Hill area, only a shadow of itself. The STB gone mad! For some reason the STB never learns that you cannot recreate something. You can preserve it but you cannot refurbish it from the ground up. It always loses it's essence in the process.

All in the name of REDEVELOPMENT ! !

You have to understand this, STB & those alike, are usually populated by Elits, who frown upon tatty, filthy places where they considered LOW CLASS.

Even the very typical eating culture of Hawker Centres were being discriminated & waiting to be demolished one by one some years ago. it's only recently, some JOKERS realized that this is a very unique culture in itself & people depends on them as their livelyhood, that they decided to preserve them by "UPGRADING & RENOVATING" these Hawker Centres one by one.

You can see yourself of what is the result now.

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Jeppo » Fri, 21 Sep 2007 2:54 pm

Dounut wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Dounut wrote:
Jeppo wrote:
Dounut wrote:Haw Par Villa used to be a popular place when I was young, before it was being renovated into a Strange Theme Park, which charged S$16.

Did you also visit Gay World Park when you were young? :wink:

Yes. It's more like a Theme Park with some good restaurants inside. That was those old good days. :roll:

I hear you! I remember both Gay World and the Original Haw Par Villa. Was getting a bit tatty back then in the early '80's but still an interesting place in of itself. Making it over was a waste and like the Emerald Hill area, only a shadow of itself. The STB gone mad! For some reason the STB never learns that you cannot recreate something. You can preserve it but you cannot refurbish it from the ground up. It always loses it's essence in the process.

All in the name of REDEVELOPMENT ! !

You have to understand this, STB & those alike, are usually populated by Elits, who frown upon tatty, filthy places where they considered LOW CLASS.

Even the very typical eating culture of Hawker Centres were being discriminated & waiting to be demolished one by one some years ago. it's only recently, some JOKERS realized that this is a very unique culture in itself & people depends on them as their livelyhood, that they decided to preserve them by "UPGRADING & RENOVATING" these Hawker Centres one by one.

You can see yourself of what is the result now.

It's not just Singapore though, the refugee camp in galang, indonesia was redone basically just rebuilding everything. They used to have a great temple there that got the workover and is now unrecognisable from what it used to be like.