Singapore Expats Forum

Undiscovered Places of Interest in Singapore

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
jpatokal

Re: Undiscovered Places of Interest in Singapore

Postby jpatokal » Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:18 pm

Superglide wrote:
alamaknasilemak wrote:13. Haw Par Villa

If you feel tired about having to accomodate your friends, I indeed think a visit to this place would make them pack their stuff and leave instantly.

C'mon, Haw Par is hilarious! It must be the tackiest theme park on the planet, and with free entry these days you can't even complain about the price.

My choice of "cool place in Singapore that nobody knows about" is the Burmese Buddhist Temple off Balestier Rd (you've seen the golden spire if you drive on the PIE!). Crazy LED-enhanced multistory Buddha statues and the best bak kut teh in Sing just around the corner. :shock:
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Undiscovered Places of Interest in Singapore

Postby Asian_Geekette » Thu, 06 Sep 2007 1:22 pm

jpatokal wrote:
Superglide wrote:
alamaknasilemak wrote:13. Haw Par Villa

If you feel tired about having to accomodate your friends, I indeed think a visit to this place would make them pack their stuff and leave instantly.

C'mon, Haw Par is hilarious! It must be the tackiest theme park on the planet, and with free entry these days you can't even complain about the price.

Now all this talk about the Tiger Balm park has made me curious (I googled Haw Par Villa after reading about it on this thread). I think I'll visit it one of these days. :lol:
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

Dounut
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Dounut » Thu, 06 Sep 2007 3:28 pm

Haw Par Villa used to be a popular place when I was young, before it was being renovated into a Strange Theme Park, which charged S$16.

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Jeppo » Thu, 06 Sep 2007 3:40 pm

Dounut wrote:Haw Par Villa used to be a popular place when I was young, before it was being renovated into a Strange Theme Park, which charged S$16.

Did you also visit Gay World Park when you were young? :wink:

Dounut
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Dounut » Thu, 06 Sep 2007 3:44 pm

Jeppo wrote:
Dounut wrote:Haw Par Villa used to be a popular place when I was young, before it was being renovated into a Strange Theme Park, which charged S$16.

Yes. It's more like a Theme Park with some good restaurants inside. That was those old good days. :roll:

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Thu, 06 Sep 2007 8:47 pm

alamaknasilemak

Postby alamaknasilemak » Fri, 07 Sep 2007 11:54 am

Thanks for the pictures ..... morbidly-funny :o

joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby joop » Fri, 07 Sep 2007 2:13 pm

His captions are even funnier, Titanic Di Caprio...
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

Bonobo2005

Postby Bonobo2005 » Mon, 10 Sep 2007 12:28 am

Jurong Bird Park (adm $22), that's not really where I would take friends to unless they have kids. Better head for the awesome Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve (adm $1).

...and of course the Central Catchment Reserve (Macritchie, Lower/Upper Peirce) have good parks, walking trails and nature scenery (incl. monkeys , lizards etc...

If your guest are British they might be interested in one of the several WW2 musuems/sites to learn how the Singaporeans present the "cowardish" British surrender to the Japs. Nice obp combi's in this respect:
* Kent Ridge Park / Reflections of Bukit Chandu;
* Bukit Timah Nature Reserve / Old Ford Factory;

slm

Postby slm » Mon, 10 Sep 2007 8:00 am

Bonobo2005 wrote:Jurong Bird Park (adm $22), that's not really where I would take friends to unless they have kids. Better head for the awesome Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve (adm $1).

...and of course the Central Catchment Reserve (Macritchie, Lower/Upper Peirce) have good parks, walking trails and nature scenery (incl. monkeys , lizards etc...

If your guest are British they might be interested in one of the several WW2 musuems/sites to learn how the Singaporeans present the "cowardish" British surrender to the Japs. Nice obp combi's in this respect:
* Kent Ridge Park / Reflections of Bukit Chandu;
* Bukit Timah Nature Reserve / Old Ford Factory;

MacRitchie is good but set aside 4-5 hours and do not miss the TreeTop Walk. Orchid garden in Botanical Gardens is a must. :) have fun..
Perpetual optimism is annoying. It is a sign that you are not paying attention.

Dounut
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Dounut » Mon, 10 Sep 2007 10:04 am

Go for the Woodcutter Trail. :cool:

ladymocha

Postby ladymocha » Fri, 14 Sep 2007 2:18 pm

Changi Village
Changi Museum

mynthe

more on walking trails..

Postby mynthe » Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:35 pm

Hi, sorry to "hijack" the thread, but I have some friends coming from Belgium and I'd love to get some suggestions too from you.

They expressed an interest in some activities involving nature - I saw you people mentioned walking trails in MacRitchie, and I wonder if those who have tried them out can tell me more? (Like is there a "starting point" for the trails?, where are the ones you mentioned, and what's special about them - it's been a LONG time since I have been to MacRitchie!)

I was going to bring them to Jurong Bird Park (never been there myself), but is it really that boring? For that matter, do visitors really enjoy the zoo or the night safari?

This is my list of things to do/places to go:

Sentosa
Zouk
Zoo/Night Safari
Discovery/Science Centre/Omnimax
Chinese and Hindu Temples
Jurong Bird Park
walk from Orchard to City Hall to Bugis then hop on DHL balloon
visit the Istana on Deepavali
Geylang for fruits/supper
Fullerton/Boat Quay/Timbre at Substation
Marina South ?
Adam Road Hawker Centre
Mustafa
Chinatown/Little India

Ok, more questions:

Is there a Merlion anywhere still? (lol!) Near the Fullerton? Sentosa?

And yeah, what's going on in Marina South now? Last I heard things were being closed down for renovations and development works.

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks in advance for any help! :)

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Thu, 20 Sep 2007 8:49 pm

Firmly on the beaten path, but what the hey:

http://wikitravel.org/en/Three_days_in_Singapore

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 20 Sep 2007 9:02 pm

Dounut wrote:
Jeppo wrote:

Yes. It's more like a Theme Park with some good restaurants inside. That was those old good days. :roll:

I hear you! I remember both Gay World and the Original Haw Par Villa. Was getting a bit tatty back then in the early '80's but still an interesting place in of itself. Making it over was a waste and like the Emerald Hill area, only a shadow of itself. The STB gone mad! For some reason the STB never learns that you cannot recreate something. You can preserve it but you cannot refurbish it from the ground up. It always loses it's essence in the process.