Singapore Expats Forum

SINGAPORE AIRLINES Local Cabin Crew - Write In Application

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
Stu
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu, 20 Sep 2007

Postby Stu » Fri, 12 Oct 2007 10:18 am

aphrokittee wrote:that's some really interesting food for thought. thanks Stu.


Aphrokittee - You're most welcomed.

As applicants, you may not have that many opportunities to observe the SIA cabin crew. However, I see the SIA cabin crew in action week in/week out on flights. They are a bunch of down to earth people who know what they are there for.......to serve, and to provide a quality service at that.

With good service, good looks is an added bonus, but without good service, good looks means.......................diddly squat.

As implied in Plavt's post, the SIA management knows that customers would prefer to be attended to by an average looking air stewardess who is warm & friendly and who takes care of them vis-a-vis a Miss Universe, drop dead gorgeous, model-like prima donna. Although, certain parts of the interview process resemble that of a beauty contest, but this is definitely not one. Good looks does not quench the thirst of a thirsty passenger.........good service does.

Trust me, the SIA interviewers know what they are looking for (...or rather, what the customers want). They wouldn't have been able to be so successful in what they do for such a long time otherwise.

I noted that you & others will be going for the interview soon? My advice is to be warm, friendly & humble. It is good to speak with confidence but not with arrogance...... a fine line and difficult balancing act that you will need to find for yourself......

For all those applying to be a cabin crew, if you don't make it, just learn from the experience and try again. Everybody is different in this world and there is no point comparing. If you start comparing, you will never find happiness in this life time since there will always be somebody who is better looking or richer or fitter, etc, etc.... Whatever it is, let's not slag off / insult the existing cabin crew, those undergoing training or those who made it to the next round of interviews.......it is a tough job and as what Plavt mentioned in one of his earlier postings, they are constantly in a "tired mode" doing this job...............so the least we can do is to appreciate it.

I wish you all the best!

PS: That will be ten dollars for the "food for thought" and "advice". :) I believe 12345 still owes me ten bucks for the career counselling I rendered to him earlier....... :lol:

jenn
Member
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun, 18 Jun 2006

Postby jenn » Fri, 12 Oct 2007 8:38 pm

Plavt wrote:Stu and all,

To back up what you say here is a quote spoken by an interviewer to a female applicant who I believe still works for SIA;

"I don't want to hire you as you are very plain looking but you have a certain warmth about your personality."

She was accepted into cabin crew in her initial years.


erh... just curious, where did you get the quote from? someone in the forum?

Guest2607
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon, 15 Oct 2007

Postby Guest2607 » Mon, 15 Oct 2007 6:09 pm

Hi, everyone.. im kinda new to this forum.. also thinking of going for the walk-in interview this coming 20th oct.. however, jus a few doubts..
Im currently an undergrad in NTU, n will only graduate around May 2008 (next yr).. I heard from somewhere that, should i be successful in my application, my offer will only last for 6 months? after that i will be disqualified?? ( I wont graduate in 6 months' time.. )
in this case, should i jus wait for the next application?... dunno when that will be, though..
n also, if say i m unsuccessful, will i be banned from apply again for the next 6 months?
can someone pls give me some advice?
thanx in advance.. ^^

Stu
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu, 20 Sep 2007

Postby Stu » Tue, 16 Oct 2007 10:20 am

Guest2607 wrote:Hi, everyone.. im kinda new to this forum.. also thinking of going for the walk-in interview this coming 20th oct.. however, jus a few doubts..
Im currently an undergrad in NTU, n will only graduate around May 2008 (next yr).. I heard from somewhere that, should i be successful in my application, my offer will only last for 6 months? after that i will be disqualified?? ( I wont graduate in 6 months' time.. )
in this case, should i jus wait for the next application?... dunno when that will be, though..
n also, if say i m unsuccessful, will i be banned from apply again for the next 6 months?
can someone pls give me some advice?
thanx in advance.. ^^


Personally, I think you should concentrate on your exams for the time being and not be side tracked.

Cheers

jenn
Member
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun, 18 Jun 2006

Postby jenn » Sat, 20 Oct 2007 10:11 pm

Plavt wrote:
To back up what you say here is a quote spoken by an interviewer to a female applicant who I believe still works for SIA;

"I don't want to hire you as you are very plain looking but you have a certain warmth about your personality."

She was accepted into cabin crew in her initial years.


errrh... just curious, where did you get the quote from? someone in the forum?

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sat, 20 Oct 2007 10:43 pm

jenn wrote:
errrh... just curious, where did you get the quote from? someone in the forum?


No, it was a web-link via google but that was some time ago and I unable to find the source anymore having made my post by memory alone.

jenn
Member
Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun, 18 Jun 2006

Postby jenn » Sat, 20 Oct 2007 10:47 pm

Plavt wrote:
jenn wrote:
errrh... just curious, where did you get the quote from? someone in the forum?


No, it was a web-link via google but that was some time ago and I unable to find the source anymore having made my post by memory alone.


oh i see... just curious about it. really hope SIA do employ people who have the personality rather just based soley on looks... :)

akiheartfelt
Regular
Regular
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu, 20 Sep 2007
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby akiheartfelt » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 6:33 pm

Guest2607 wrote:Hi, everyone.. im kinda new to this forum.. also thinking of going for the walk-in interview this coming 20th oct.. however, jus a few doubts..
Im currently an undergrad in NTU, n will only graduate around May 2008 (next yr).. I heard from somewhere that, should i be successful in my application, my offer will only last for 6 months? after that i will be disqualified?? ( I wont graduate in 6 months' time.. )
in this case, should i jus wait for the next application?... dunno when that will be, though..
n also, if say i m unsuccessful, will i be banned from apply again for the next 6 months?
can someone pls give me some advice?
thanx in advance.. ^^


Hi! i'm also in the same position as you, interested in applying but will only graduate next semester May/June. i'm currently in NUS. I think it's still too early to apply... when should we start applying though? Taking into consideration that i might not succeed on the first try.... haha...

aki :wink:

garlic
Member
Member
Posts: 25
Joined: Mon, 23 Jul 2007

Postby garlic » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 10:39 pm

akiheartfelt wrote:
Guest2607 wrote:Hi, everyone.. im kinda new to this forum.. also thinking of going for the walk-in interview this coming 20th oct.. however, jus a few doubts..
Im currently an undergrad in NTU, n will only graduate around May 2008 (next yr).. I heard from somewhere that, should i be successful in my application, my offer will only last for 6 months? after that i will be disqualified?? ( I wont graduate in 6 months' time.. )
in this case, should i jus wait for the next application?... dunno when that will be, though..
n also, if say i m unsuccessful, will i be banned from apply again for the next 6 months?
can someone pls give me some advice?
thanx in advance.. ^^


Hi! i'm also in the same position as you, interested in applying but will only graduate next semester May/June. i'm currently in NUS. I think it's still too early to apply... when should we start applying though? Taking into consideration that i might not succeed on the first try.... haha...

aki :wink:


my suggestion is, don't apply too early.

wait until your last 3,4 months in school before you start applying. that way, if u pass all the interview rounds, they'll still ask you to go for medical check.
cause from my own personal experience(i applied 6,7mths before i was due to graduate), i wasn't told to go for my medical check as the interviewers told me the results might not be valid 6,7mths later.. and also, they say they couldnt commit to me as there is no guarantee that i will pass the last sem too. thus, i was put on KIV.

and trust me, its agonising being in neither here nor there suituation where there is no confirmation on whether you have successfully clinched the job. and also, because of the long wait, i also have to go back for a review interview after i grad in feb.. which means my chances is now back to 50-50. :P

so yeah, jus to share my own experience. like you, i had the what-if-i-can't-succeed thinking.. but now, i kinda regret trying out so early.

don't worry as SIA is now massive recruiting so recruitment drives are open quite frequently.
all the best! :D

akiheartfelt
Regular
Regular
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu, 20 Sep 2007
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby akiheartfelt » Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:24 pm

garlic wrote:
akiheartfelt wrote:
Guest2607 wrote:Hi, everyone.. im kinda new to this forum.. also thinking of going for the walk-in interview this coming 20th oct.. however, jus a few doubts..
Im currently an undergrad in NTU, n will only graduate around May 2008 (next yr).. I heard from somewhere that, should i be successful in my application, my offer will only last for 6 months? after that i will be disqualified?? ( I wont graduate in 6 months' time.. )
in this case, should i jus wait for the next application?... dunno when that will be, though..
n also, if say i m unsuccessful, will i be banned from apply again for the next 6 months?
can someone pls give me some advice?
thanx in advance.. ^^


Hi! i'm also in the same position as you, interested in applying but will only graduate next semester May/June. i'm currently in NUS. I think it's still too early to apply... when should we start applying though? Taking into consideration that i might not succeed on the first try.... haha...

aki :wink:


my suggestion is, don't apply too early.

wait until your last 3,4 months in school before you start applying. that way, if u pass all the interview rounds, they'll still ask you to go for medical check.
cause from my own personal experience(i applied 6,7mths before i was due to graduate), i wasn't told to go for my medical check as the interviewers told me the results might not be valid 6,7mths later.. and also, they say they couldnt commit to me as there is no guarantee that i will pass the last sem too. thus, i was put on KIV.

and trust me, its agonising being in neither here nor there suituation where there is no confirmation on whether you have successfully clinched the job. and also, because of the long wait, i also have to go back for a review interview after i grad in feb.. which means my chances is now back to 50-50. :P

so yeah, jus to share my own experience. like you, i had the what-if-i-can't-succeed thinking.. but now, i kinda regret trying out so early.

don't worry as SIA is now massive recruiting so recruitment drives are open quite frequently.
all the best! :D


Thanks a lot for your useful advice! Appreciate it :D If i'm not wrong you're now in the situation of waiting for a review interview? Good luck!

aki :wink:

Stu
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu, 20 Sep 2007

Postby Stu » Tue, 23 Oct 2007 12:37 pm

Hi Guest 2607, Akiheartfelt

Personally, if you are a graduate, I think you really really need to sit down and have a long think about what is it that attracts you and why you want to be a cabin crew?

(i) Is it the Pay? - If it is, then I disagree. Reading from posts in this forum, I understand that the salary differential between a graduate and somebody with 'O" levels is only $400/-. Was it worth all those additional years of education is something you need to ask yourself? Is your degree only worth $400/- a month? It is actually the allowances that make the monthly package sound attractive but that is the same for everybody and if you spend that wining and dining in a fancy restaurant when you are in say Europe or America, then that disappears rather quickly.

There are jobs out there for graduates which pays comparable if not more.

(ii) Is it the Travel? - If it is, then I disagree. As mentioned in one of my previous posts, there are regional/global jobs out there which caters for that if you want it. I travel on average once a month for a 2 week period each time. I work office hours when I am onsite and in the evenings/weekends, I am free to explore and sight see, try out different restaurants, all expenses paid for as compared to a case where you are spending your own allowances. I save all of my salary unless I do my personal shopping.

As Plavt mentioned, as a Cabin Crew you don't really have that much time to travel and see the sights fully since you will either be tired or won't have sufficient time.

(iii) Is it the Passion to Serve? - If it is, then this is the only reason where I will agree with you and say go for it!!!

If you sign up for the wrong reason, then it will feel like a constant struggle. There was a post by 2nd time lucky who felt "empty" just after 4 weeks of training or some others who can't wait for their bond to be over so that they can leave, etc.

Just think carefully before you take the plunge.........

akiheartfelt
Regular
Regular
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu, 20 Sep 2007
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby akiheartfelt » Tue, 23 Oct 2007 5:31 pm

Stu wrote:Hi Guest 2607, Akiheartfelt

Personally, if you are a graduate, I think you really really need to sit down and have a long think about what is it that attracts you and why you want to be a cabin crew?

(i) Is it the Pay? - If it is, then I disagree. Reading from posts in this forum, I understand that the salary differential between a graduate and somebody with 'O" levels is only $400/-. Was it worth all those additional years of education is something you need to ask yourself? Is your degree only worth $400/- a month? It is actually the allowances that make the monthly package sound attractive but that is the same for everybody and if you spend that wining and dining in a fancy restaurant when you are in say Europe or America, then that disappears rather quickly.

There are jobs out there for graduates which pays comparable if not more.

(ii) Is it the Travel? - If it is, then I disagree. As mentioned in one of my previous posts, there are regional/global jobs out there which caters for that if you want it. I travel on average once a month for a 2 week period each time. I work office hours when I am onsite and in the evenings/weekends, I am free to explore and sight see, try out different restaurants, all expenses paid for as compared to a case where you are spending your own allowances. I save all of my salary unless I do my personal shopping.

As Plavt mentioned, as a Cabin Crew you don't really have that much time to travel and see the sights fully since you will either be tired or won't have sufficient time.

(iii) Is it the Passion to Serve? - If it is, then this is the only reason where I will agree with you and say go for it!!!

If you sign up for the wrong reason, then it will feel like a constant struggle. There was a post by 2nd time lucky who felt "empty" just after 4 weeks of training or some others who can't wait for their bond to be over so that they can leave, etc.

Just think carefully before you take the plunge.........


Hi Stu!

I think you've made very relevant points pertaining to the career options of a graduate. I've repeatedly asked myself the same question over and over again as to why i want to be a cabin crew?

(i) It's definitely not because of the pay, because aside from the $400 difference from an o'level grad, a uni grad's salary can easily exceed that of a cabin crew in a few year's time to come (with hard work of course).

(ii) Is it because of travel? Maybe. As it is, you are indeed fortunate to have landed a job that allows you to travel extensively, expenses paid. However, as much as many of us love to travel, not most of us would come to be as lucky as you! :wink: Aside from being able to go to places, company benefits with regards to discounted travels are considerably attractive! Haha... By the way, i'm very interested to know, which industry are you working in? :)

(iii) I'm not sure of any burning passion to serve for now but i am drawn to the hospitality and service industry.

Of course, my options are still open. But if the experience of a cabin crew is advantageous to my possible venture into the service industry (does it?), why not? :)

To many, being part of the cabin crew might not be a long term career choice, thus i guess it's advisable to think beyond...

aki

Stu
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu, 20 Sep 2007

Postby Stu » Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:25 am

Hi Aki,

As to your question, I work in the Banking Industry.

I disagree that there are few jobs that require travel since Singapore is a regional hub for most MNCs and companies. The First/Business class sections in most SQ flights are almost always packed on most of my flights. Why does SIA need to introduce the A380? That is because the demand is greater than the seats available. So who are all these people that I am constantly battling with to see who is the quickest to book their air tickets? Is everybody travelling in that section in the same industry and doing the same line of work? I don't think so. You just need to look hard enough....

With regards to your point on discounted travel, I accumulate sufficient airmiles and hotel points as part of my business travel so that all my personal holidays are free (both airfare & hotel). But the truth is that when you travel so extensively, you may not always want to travel during your vacation. At times, it is more comfortable just to chill out with friends. I believe that would also hold true as a Cabin crew.

As a graduate I think you should think a little bit more about career planning. If joining SIA is a stepping stone to something else later, then you need to know what is that something else? If you are currently in the transit lounge, you should know where your final destination is....

I know of a NUS graduate who upon graduation, spent the first year or so trying to get into SIA (since as you can see from the various posts, it isn't that straight forward in getting through..). Thereafter she spent 5 years with SIA, which made sense since as far as I'm concerned, there are only 2 logical exit points, one is immdiately after the bond period and the other is after the contract period so as to get the lump sum payout. Anything in between those 2 points (i.e. the 3 year or 4 year mark) in my opinion is a waste. Alternatively, you stay on and aim to be an IFS.

After 5 years, she grew tired of flying so she left SIA, but she was at a lost as to what to do next. So as to buy some time and think things through, she decided to use part of her savings to put herself back through school. A year flew by very quickly and she graduated with her Master's degree. At the end of it, she still does not know what to do next.........

I believe that the opportunity cost for a graduate is higher. If it is your dream, then I say "live it", but make sure you are doing it for the right reasons.......

CelT
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed, 02 May 2007

Postby CelT » Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:54 am

Hi Stu & Akiheartfelt....

Well, after reading all the posts by you, start to feel something...haha
I am also a graduate....for me, im taking a reverse road unlike many...i have been working for 4 years...in the research & clinical industry....recently, landed myself in a clinical research organisation....doing project coordinating....my company is very well-known....good prospects....when i broke the news to my director about me leaving for SIA, he tried to keep me...But of course, i had my reasons & stood firm on my decision...He was nice...he told me when im tired of flying....he welcome me to join them back....I had a colleague...she was with SIA too...now, working here as project manager....

I chose the reverse way simply because i dont enjoy what i am doing now..infact, i think im quite capable & had the potential of doing it well..but there isnt any enjoyment & satisfaction in it....i had been in it...so i knew exactly what i want...i also understood that being in SIA is a shortlived career...that was the reason that stopped me from applying years back when i just graduated....But if i were to look back, these reasons did not eventually stop me from pursuing what i really enjoy & love to do....

Too much planning in life sometimes make life very uninteresting....haha, so im taking a huge & brave plunge this time & im sure i am so going to enjoy it! At least, i wont have any regrets in years to come....

Well, the pay in SIA is also indeed appealing....i dont think most graduates earn what they are earning....unless with years of experience & hardwork...& of course not to mention if one is a high flyer!
The industry you are in also matters...Banking industry undoubtedly pays better than the others! :D
.CEL.

Stu
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu, 20 Sep 2007

Postby Stu » Wed, 24 Oct 2007 3:56 pm

Hi Celt,

Don't get me wrong. As mentioned in all of my posts, I say that if it is your dream or passion then go for it! But do so for the right reasons....

I see the cabin crew in action week in, week out, on a monthly basis and it is not an easy job. Petite stewardesses carrying luggage to put into the overhead compartments for other ladies, old folks, etc. Sometimes, I feel exhausted just by seeing them in action. So I am appreciative of what they do and I try to do everything myself and not bother them too much.

As part of community service, I have done volunteer work before as a counselor to Teenagers. I don't see my role as to tell them how to live it, but to give them all the necessary information so that they can make an informed choice/decision. It would have been easy for me to read all these posts on the forum and for me to just keep quiet about it. After all, I don't know the people in the forum personally and I have my own work to do. However, a tiny part of me would feel guilty if I didn't offered the other view point........

With regards to the compensation in SIA being better.....I don't know. I am not working with SIA so I am not familiar with their annual increment rates or bonus pay outs. But would the increment rates only apply to the basic salary or the allowances as well? If they declare 6 months bonus, would that apply only to the basic or the allowances as well? I have to say that most airlines have perfected their cost structure because they keep the basic low and compensate with attractive allowances when there are flights. If market demand for flights drop, they can reduce flights/ground staff and keep their cost competitive. But to the demise of the cabin crew....

If your base is high, even if the increment rate isn't that high, the absolute increase will still be decent. But if the base is low, and even if the increment rate is high, the absolute may not be. If the role does not require a degree, then there is no necessity for the Airlines to pay a premium for it. But if the role requires it, then there is a reason to pay a premium.

I feel that if you are a graduate who is motivated and driven, then you can really excel in the private sector and be rewarded accordingly based on merit rather than years of service. In the banking industry, over a span of 10 years, it is not uncommon for somebody to well exceed the 5 figure monthly salary mark and in good years experience a 6 figure bonus. Everything is based on merit.

But would it be the same as a Cabin Crew? Will you become a Leading/Chief Stewardess earlier just because you are a graduate? If you are really good at your duties, will you become an In flight supervisor after 10 years or does one have to do the time to get there? If you are more efficient and effective in your duties and manage to complete a meal service in one hour when it takes the average stewardess 2 hours to complete a meal service, does this mean that you will get more bonus and get promoted much faster because you have exceeded expectations? I don't know.......

You may be right, the banking industry may pay higher than most, and thus it is an option for graduates to consider.....

Once again, it is just food for thought. At the end of the day, everybody needs to make these decisions for themselves and be happy with it.

Celt - All the best to your training and maybe we will meet on a flight one day!! :) And when we do meet, will you promise not to put crap in my food because of my comments above......hahahaha :lol:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests