Singapore Expats Forum

Tips for Successful Airline Interviews [My 2 Cents Worth]

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
downtown
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat, 11 Aug 2007

Postby downtown » Mon, 27 Aug 2007 1:09 pm

chances are there during group interview if you are a quick thinker...according to my experience, you have to be a pro talker..you are quick to adapt to their questions and make decisions at a quick pace...you have to get ready yourself :lol: ...sigh...count me out on these :(

downtown
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat, 11 Aug 2007

Postby downtown » Tue, 28 Aug 2007 1:19 pm

which airline company will interview people 1 to 1 minus group interview..i am not sure if i fly back to hong kong to join cathay will have this benefit

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 896
Joined: Mon, 25 Dec 2006
Location: Singapore

Postby xmischax » Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:00 pm

downtown wrote:which airline company will interview people 1 to 1 minus group interview..i am not sure if i fly back to hong kong to join cathay will have this benefit


i don't think there's any airline that doesn't have group interview as the first round.. cathay, it's in groups of 10 also, females and males mixed interview. they will ask for self introduction and then give you a topic to discuss on as a group. then the interviewer will ask for volunteer to summarise and give a conclusion. so i don't think you can escape group interviews for airline interviews.. even sentosa interviews are in groups!
when strange things happen, they call it fate.

User avatar
mouse
Regular
Regular
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue, 27 Sep 2005

Postby mouse » Tue, 28 Aug 2007 10:48 pm

xmischax wrote:
downtown wrote:which airline company will interview people 1 to 1 minus group interview..i am not sure if i fly back to hong kong to join cathay will have this benefit


i don't think there's any airline that doesn't have group interview as the first round.. cathay, it's in groups of 10 also, females and males mixed interview. they will ask for self introduction and then give you a topic to discuss on as a group. then the interviewer will ask for volunteer to summarise and give a conclusion. so i don't think you can escape group interviews for airline interviews.. even sentosa interviews are in groups!


Agree...think one of the essentials they are looking for a crew is to see how you interact with one another - the importance of working with People.
Had once went for the emirates walk-in and got into a group discussion and have been too aggressive to debate my stand with another girl. And hence didn't got in and whereas the other girls who never spoke a word at all got into the 2nd round. Sigh. Guess at that moment of time, I am too anxious to be a crew and did my way out. Anyway, guess you have to be cool, don't debate, calm and show enthusiasm during the group discussion throughout. You will gain more experience as the time goes by...you be more brave!

sweethani
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 22 Aug 2007
Location: Singapore

Re: Tips for Successful Airline Interviews [My 2 Cents Worth

Postby sweethani » Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:43 pm

I can be very nervous went comes to questions or interviews (anything to do with qns). but the main thing i wan to know is that, what if they ask u qns and you just froze there because u're not sure wat to reply back or ur mind just turn BLANK. how? stil continue smiling?! :lol: are they very particular in educations? :-k i do not hv a good grades and i hv N level cert. is that ok? [-o<

Hoping_To_Be
Member
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon, 13 Nov 2006

Postby Hoping_To_Be » Tue, 28 Aug 2007 11:52 pm

xmischax wrote:
downtown wrote:which airline company will interview people 1 to 1 minus group interview..i am not sure if i fly back to hong kong to join cathay will have this benefit


i don't think there's any airline that doesn't have group interview as the first round.. cathay, it's in groups of 10 also, females and males mixed interview. they will ask for self introduction and then give you a topic to discuss on as a group. then the interviewer will ask for volunteer to summarise and give a conclusion. so i don't think you can escape group interviews for airline interviews.. even sentosa interviews are in groups!


Hmmm, FYI British Airways doesn't do a group interview during the first round... Perhaps they're the only one bah.

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 896
Joined: Mon, 25 Dec 2006
Location: Singapore

Re: Tips for Successful Airline Interviews [My 2 Cents Worth

Postby xmischax » Wed, 29 Aug 2007 12:45 am

sweethani wrote:I can be very nervous went comes to questions or interviews (anything to do with qns). but the main thing i wan to know is that, what if they ask u qns and you just froze there because u're not sure wat to reply back or ur mind just turn BLANK. how? stil continue smiling?! :lol: are they very particular in educations? :-k i do not hv a good grades and i hv N level cert. is that ok? [-o<


it will help if you can prepare yourself for the interview! like, you think you know yourself very well, but when in situations like this, you will go blank, like you've said. you can think about how you will phrase yourself for basic questions like self-introduction, why you wanna join the airline, bad customer experiences, FA job scope and stuff like that. at least you'll feel more confident that you prepared something for it. :)

as for qualifications, it varies for airlines! like silkair requires n levels, SIA requires o levels with experience or a levels/diploma.

hope it helps :)
when strange things happen, they call it fate.

User avatar
VeniE
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 486
Joined: Thu, 05 Jul 2007

Re: Tips for Successful Airline Interviews [My 2 Cents Worth

Postby VeniE » Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:31 am

xmischax wrote:
sweethani wrote:I can be very nervous went comes to questions or interviews (anything to do with qns). but the main thing i wan to know is that, what if they ask u qns and you just froze there because u're not sure wat to reply back or ur mind just turn BLANK. how? stil continue smiling?! :lol: are they very particular in educations? :-k i do not hv a good grades and i hv N level cert. is that ok? [-o<


it will help if you can prepare yourself for the interview! like, you think you know yourself very well, but when in situations like this, you will go blank, like you've said. you can think about how you will phrase yourself for basic questions like self-introduction, why you wanna join the airline, bad customer experiences, FA job scope and stuff like that. at least you'll feel more confident that you prepared something for it. :)

as for qualifications, it varies for airlines! like silkair requires n levels, SIA requires o levels with experience or a levels/diploma.

hope it helps :)


I agree with that. Always do some preparation before you go for the interview.

I tried SQ for 6 times but out of 6 times only 2 times manage to pass round one that's because I did some preparation. For me i will prepare my self intro and practice them over and over in front of mirror and time myself in case i drag too long :P den juz list down some possible question that they might ask and think of some answer to the questions.
Actually most question they post to you are open-ended question, there's no right or wrong answer. As long as you can clearly make your stand and give a good reason to support your answer.

If you dun think memorising the words is a good idea, maybe juz drop down some points will do. In case you got so nervous during the interview that you went blank and dun know what to say...well den you can prepare to say bye bye liao. keke...
Soaring above all

downtown
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 212
Joined: Sat, 11 Aug 2007

Re: Tips for Successful Airline Interviews [My 2 Cents Worth

Postby downtown » Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:24 am

xmischax wrote:it will help if you can prepare yourself for the interview! like, you think you know yourself very well, but when in situations like this, you will go blank, like you've said. you can think about how you will phrase yourself for basic questions like self-introduction, why you wanna join the airline, bad customer experiences, FA job scope and stuff like that. at least you'll feel more confident that you prepared something for it. :)

as for qualifications, it varies for airlines! like silkair requires n levels, SIA requires o levels with experience or a levels/diploma.

hope it helps :)


you think first round so easy.i have prepared like you say...who knows the question is what do you think is important? fortune or fame... :o :o i get stuck by this question...i can definately reply better by tell me about yourself

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 896
Joined: Mon, 25 Dec 2006
Location: Singapore

Re: Tips for Successful Airline Interviews [My 2 Cents Worth

Postby xmischax » Wed, 29 Aug 2007 2:22 pm

downtown wrote:
xmischax wrote:it will help if you can prepare yourself for the interview! like, you think you know yourself very well, but when in situations like this, you will go blank, like you've said. you can think about how you will phrase yourself for basic questions like self-introduction, why you wanna join the airline, bad customer experiences, FA job scope and stuff like that. at least you'll feel more confident that you prepared something for it. :)

as for qualifications, it varies for airlines! like silkair requires n levels, SIA requires o levels with experience or a levels/diploma.

hope it helps :)


you think first round so easy
.i have prepared like you say...who knows the question is what do you think is important? fortune or fame... :o :o i get stuck by this question...i can definately reply better by tell me about yourself


well, i didn't say that first round is easy! i never said that. i'm only offering her a suggestion to her problem, which is going blank when posed with a question in round one. i didn't say that it works for everybody, i mean, to each his own! and i'm sorry to hear that you got a tougher question, i haven't got that myself, i've always gotten the self introduction thingy. but personally, i think it is easier to do well and stand out from the rest if you can answer that tougher question well. but of course, the standard of "answered well" is very subjective to the interviewers.

there's is no definite in everything you know. all you can do is to try your best and prepare yourself. the rest, it's really up to the interviewers.
when strange things happen, they call it fate.

sweethani
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 22 Aug 2007
Location: Singapore

Re: Tips for Successful Airline Interviews [My 2 Cents Worth

Postby sweethani » Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:46 pm

VeniE wrote:
xmischax wrote:
sweethani wrote:I can be very nervous went comes to questions or interviews (anything to do with qns). but the main thing i wan to know is that, what if they ask u qns and you just froze there because u're not sure wat to reply back or ur mind just turn BLANK. how? stil continue smiling?! :lol: are they very particular in educations? :-k i do not hv a good grades and i hv N level cert. is that ok? [-o<


it will help if you can prepare yourself for the interview! like, you think you know yourself very well, but when in situations like this, you will go blank, like you've said. you can think about how you will phrase yourself for basic questions like self-introduction, why you wanna join the airline, bad customer experiences, FA job scope and stuff like that. at least you'll feel more confident that you prepared something for it. :)

as for qualifications, it varies for airlines! like silkair requires n levels, SIA requires o levels with experience or a levels/diploma.

hope it helps :)


I agree with that. Always do some preparation before you go for the interview.

I tried SQ for 6 times but out of 6 times only 2 times manage to pass round one that's because I did some preparation. For me i will prepare my self intro and practice them over and over in front of mirror and time myself in case i drag too long :P den juz list down some possible question that they might ask and think of some answer to the questions.
Actually most question they post to you are open-ended question, there's no right or wrong answer. As long as you can clearly make your stand and give a good reason to support your answer.

If you dun think memorising the words is a good idea, maybe juz drop down some points will do. In case you got so nervous during the interview that you went blank and dun know what to say...well den you can prepare to say bye bye liao. keke...


Well, thanks for the suggestions.. :D I will try to overcome my fear.. What if u've fully prepared for the interview but somehow when u're there, your fear takeover you. How do u overcome it? :shit: It's not that im a negative person but trying to get more info/tips. So what was the TOUGH question/s that u have been asked from the interviewer?? :wink:

sweethani
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed, 22 Aug 2007
Location: Singapore

Re: Tips for Successful Airline Interviews [My 2 Cents Worth

Postby sweethani » Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:46 pm

VeniE wrote:
xmischax wrote:
sweethani wrote:I can be very nervous went comes to questions or interviews (anything to do with qns). but the main thing i wan to know is that, what if they ask u qns and you just froze there because u're not sure wat to reply back or ur mind just turn BLANK. how? stil continue smiling?! :lol: are they very particular in educations? :-k i do not hv a good grades and i hv N level cert. is that ok? [-o<


it will help if you can prepare yourself for the interview! like, you think you know yourself very well, but when in situations like this, you will go blank, like you've said. you can think about how you will phrase yourself for basic questions like self-introduction, why you wanna join the airline, bad customer experiences, FA job scope and stuff like that. at least you'll feel more confident that you prepared something for it. :)

as for qualifications, it varies for airlines! like silkair requires n levels, SIA requires o levels with experience or a levels/diploma.

hope it helps :)


I agree with that. Always do some preparation before you go for the interview.

I tried SQ for 6 times but out of 6 times only 2 times manage to pass round one that's because I did some preparation. For me i will prepare my self intro and practice them over and over in front of mirror and time myself in case i drag too long :P den juz list down some possible question that they might ask and think of some answer to the questions.
Actually most question they post to you are open-ended question, there's no right or wrong answer. As long as you can clearly make your stand and give a good reason to support your answer.

If you dun think memorising the words is a good idea, maybe juz drop down some points will do. In case you got so nervous during the interview that you went blank and dun know what to say...well den you can prepare to say bye bye liao. keke...


Well, thanks for the suggestions.. :D I will try to overcome my fear.. What if u've fully prepared for the interview but somehow when u're there, your fear takeover you. How do u overcome it? :shit: It's not that im a negative person but trying to get more info/tips. So what was the TOUGH question/s that u have been asked from the interviewer?? :wink:

xmischax
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 896
Joined: Mon, 25 Dec 2006
Location: Singapore

Postby xmischax » Wed, 29 Aug 2007 11:20 pm

well, i think you should set your mind first! i know it's nerve wrecking, but the more you think that way, the more nervous you will get! look at it as talking a new friend, not as a interview. it works for me that way. cos when you're at ease, you talk more naturally and you won't be as nervous.

the open ended questions about yourself are known as the easier ones, the more difficult ones will be like, what is more important fame or fortune, one bad customer experience and how you overcame it, given a senario like there's a drunk passenger and what would you do, things that are more spontaneous.

hope it helps, all the best and good luck! :D
when strange things happen, they call it fate.

User avatar
chris_nzy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun, 16 Sep 2007

Postby chris_nzy » Sun, 16 Sep 2007 10:23 pm

allow me to share my "nervous shock" at tis forum... (if i received a confirmation fr SIA for d interview)....
i did not prepare much for d interview...
if i got a chance to get into d interview, wat shud i do to present my best to d interviewers?!
a lot of curiosity bout tis carrier n wouldn't noe much d "content" of d interview...
can anyone share sum of their passed experience?!
please!!!
:cry:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Teddyb3ar and 3 guests