Singapore Expats

Strange Phone Calls Late at Night

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Bafana

Strange Phone Calls Late at Night

Post by Bafana » Fri, 24 Aug 2007 10:34 am

Got this strange phone call on my handphone from an American Lady last night from a local Singapore number asking me to have a cup of coffee as we are nieghbours. When i said i did'nt know who she is she kept using my name and trying to find an excuise from where we migth have meet.

She even tried to arrange the coffee at here place whihc is near Parkway (the address on my business card but I live in Geylang) which i said it was not a godd idea as I don know hwo she is - So I said if we are going to meet anywhere it has to be Starbucks (neutral territory).

Now this has caused a huge fight in my house because the mother of my new daughter dont belive that i dont know this person and she belives I want to dump her for a new model (she has always been a bit hard wired). This is nonsnese as I have never cheated on her but I think she is still stressed out havign a three n a half month old baby in the house. She even delted her number from my handphone when i was asleep last night...

Has anyone else been gettign apporaoched like this?

Feel to me like a religous come on, mormans or another cult perhaps....
Be Like Water

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:23 am

Bafana,

That's called stalking. :shock:

You just have to reassure your wife about your fidelity. And it would be better not to answer the phone late at night. Most especially if it's an unknown number.
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sprite » Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:48 am

Asian_Geekette wrote:Bafana,

You just have to reassure your wife about your fidelity. And it would be better not to answer the phone late at night. Most especially if it's an unknown number.
One phone call is called 'stalking'? I don't think so. He never said 'wife' by the way & for god sakes, of course you should answer your phone late at night. If you don't want calls, then just shut it off.

Now that the number is deleted, you have no way to trace it, mores the pity.

jhouse
Regular
Regular

Post by jhouse » Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:54 am

i dont know if this works...

you can try to talk to your service provider and bar the number that disturbed you, or probably change your phone number

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Fri, 24 Aug 2007 2:54 pm

sprite wrote:Now that the number is deleted, you have no way to trace it, mores the pity.
My wife deleted her (my wife's) number frrom my phone - She has a very hot temper lah :???:
Be Like Water

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sprite » Fri, 24 Aug 2007 4:57 pm

Bafana wrote:
sprite wrote:Now that the number is deleted, you have no way to trace it, mores the pity.
My wife deleted her (my wife's) number frrom my phone - She has a very hot temper lah :???:
Your wife deleted her own number from your phone?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Aug 2007 6:18 pm

Baf,

Did the caller identify herself? Did she want to talk about nutrition or doing a nutritional survey? If so, I know who it is. And she is a 40 year old american nutcase who's been around Singapore for years pestering and stalking anybody. I know she occasionally uses Parkway Parade or Novena Square but her normal haunt is Tanglin Shopping centre. Once she has your number the best thing is change your phone number :(

People have called and gone to the police numerous times and they can't/won't do anything. It generally gets so bad she cusses you out on the phone. For your sake I hope is not her......
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Post by seasider » Fri, 24 Aug 2007 7:46 pm

My thoughts exactly, sms. I bet it's her. She invites herself to industry nights and networking events and picks up business cards, then hassles people.

She also does the "survey" thing and that's how she got me. I met her about 2003/3 and she wasn't abusive, just a pain in the arse. I was actually interested in nutrition so gave her my number but when she called she couldn't tell me anything concrete about her services, so I eventually "advised" her to stop calling me. Rumour has it she's got abusive in recent years but I can't see it myself. I've had a couple of friends come into contact with her in the past year - one made the mistake of chatting, mentioning he was having a dinner party, and she turned up! - and the lady obviously has problems but I don't think she's a threat to anyone.

Show your wife this thread.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Post by Wind In My Hair » Fri, 24 Aug 2007 8:53 pm

Oh dear, I think I met the same lady about a year ago at the Coffee Bean behind Borders. She asked me to do a survey and we started chatting. She was friendly at first then became verbally abusive when I refused to answer some of the questions on her survey the way she wanted me to - something about the government needing to regulate the nutrition industry in a certain way and I didn't circle yes and she insisted I did and I said no etc.

Baf, sorry to hear this has lead to some domestic unhappiness. If she calls you again, why not pass the phone to your wife to answer? Any woman will be reassured, I would think, that you have nothing to hide from her.

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Fri, 24 Aug 2007 9:03 pm

Baf, how do you think she got your business-card?

I assume that's how she got your number, considering she wanted to meet near your workplace.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 Aug 2007 9:28 pm

He could have gone to almost any networking or business type of function that is open to the public (via invitation or application). In the course of tea breaks when groups form, often time one hands out copious quantities of business cards without really thinking about the recipient's validity. She is great at this. The woman is degreed and used to have a nutritional website as well (been down close to two years now). I think she was formerly working in Japan years ago (probably till they threw her out I'd imagine).

WIMH,

I've been told she has had blond hair on occasion but according to her photo on her old website it was very dark brown if not black. It sounds like you have had the opportunity to make her acquaintance. :o
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Post by seasider » Sat, 25 Aug 2007 11:15 am

She's been around Asia for a long time, and the fact that she can seemingly stay here whilst doing nothing (nothing that she could back up with facts, appointments, or even a business address, at least) leads me to believe she must be a trailing spouse.

I know she was working quite recently but I suspect it ended badly - won't go into details as everyone deserves their privacy.

Just be aware that she is around, talks a lot about nutrition, claims to have worked for the WHO, and can become a nuisance.

mayamomi
Regular
Regular

Post by mayamomi » Sat, 25 Aug 2007 12:59 pm

Asian_Geekette wrote:Bafana,

if u do not answer it then the wife will be even more suspicious... that u do not want to answer it in front of her... better to let ur wife answer it ....
To you, he's a dog...
To me, he's everything...

Bafana

Post by Bafana » Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:34 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Baf,

Did the caller identify herself? Did she want to talk about nutrition or doing a nutritional survey? If so, I know who it is. And she is a 40 year old american nutcase who's been around Singapore for years pestering and stalking anybody. I know she occasionally uses Parkway Parade or Novena Square but her normal haunt is Tanglin Shopping centre. Once she has your number the best thing is change your phone number :(

People have called and gone to the police numerous times and they can't/won't do anything. It generally gets so bad she cusses you out on the phone. For your sake I hope is not her......
Sounds about correct and she even said something about Tanglin Square.

She keep at it over the weekend and my wife answered her and she gave her a cussing (the strnge lady gave my wife that is). Sounds like a real nutball. I porobably gave her my card at an AustCham night.

When she first rang she identfied her first anme but it was so quick i could'nt catch it.
Be Like Water

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 Aug 2007 11:23 am

Bafana wrote: When she first rang she identfied her first anme but it was so quick i could'nt catch it.
BINGO!

I'll refresh your memory via PM.

sms