Singapore Expats

Safe deposit boxes

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
jpatokal

Safe deposit boxes

Post by jpatokal » Tue, 21 Aug 2007 7:03 pm

I've got some low-value but difficult-to-replace stuff (university diplomas, job testimonials, etc) that I'd like to stick in a safe deposit box, but for reasons that are a mystery to all, Singaporean banks make this very difficult -- despite high fees plus fixed deposit requirements etc, DBS never seems to have any empty boxes anywhere, and UOB is currently telling me I'd have to haul my lily-white ass all the way to Bedok (!) to find one. CISCO's got a mildly more convenient location in Paya Lebar, but they're out of "small" boxes ($125+GST/year), so my choices are to fork out $200/year for an unnecessary "medium" or hike out to Jurong. Any better ideas? :???:

Banks cut back on safe deposit boxes even as demand heats up :x
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 21 Aug 2007 7:54 pm

JP,

I tried for years and years. Like you, it was either at the other end of the island or too big for what I needed (primarily the same type of things). I finally gave up the ghost and bought a 100 KG safe. It's a bitch to move but at least gives me a measure of security. It's cheap enough that when I leave here finally it will have been a lot cheaper than renting a box (have had it for around 10~12 years now. It also gives me the ability to access it anytime I want which is something banks don't.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

xtasy010
Regular
Regular

Post by xtasy010 » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 7:18 pm

Just wondering if the above still holds true or are there more options now? From what info I have been able to gather, situation is still the same.

sierra2469alpha
Editor
Editor

Post by sierra2469alpha » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 7:41 pm

JP - thought about a secure delivery to your country of choice (in our case, Austria [yes we are Australian!!] - if you have a valid passport then Europe does it quite easily from our experience. FedEX (for what they are worth, don't start me!!) and DHL offer premium signed for delivery services to some of the major private banks.

My suggestions assume you do not require regular access.

HTH?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Wed, 06 Jan 2010 11:10 pm

Safe is the best method you can get a 50kg for under 300$, It will last years and you can sell it when you leave with a good price tag!

Banks, they are not safe lah! :lol:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/engl ... 442494.stm

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Wed, 13 Jan 2010 11:27 am

I ended up getting a safe deposit box at CISCO Paya Lebar and have been pretty happy with it. Open more or less always, ~15 min from city by MRT and walking distance to station, and the price is not unreasonable, esp. since they always have promotions for new customers. They appear to have a new facility in Redhill as well, although it's not very convenient by public transport.

http://www.certissecurity.com/safedeposit/

Drop me a PM if you want me to refer you, and I'll split the $50 booty :P
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague