Singapore Expats Forum

Relocation to USA.Advice needed for location selection

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 25 Aug 2007 9:34 am

Being a native Marylander and having worked for 8 years in downtown DC and having lived in several of the Maryland suburbs I will hold my comments..................

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sprite » Sat, 25 Aug 2007 10:07 am

Back to my original point...

AN ANSWER TO FLIGHT DELAYS?

By TRACY SAMANTHA SCHMIDT/WASHINGTON

Wed Aug 22, 5:10 PM ET

It's an air travel scenario that has become all too familiar for Marion Blakey, administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). A severe thunderstorm hits a hub airport like Dallas-Fort Worth, grounding all of the planes there for two hours. Soon those delays spread to airports nationwide, and flights that weren't even bound for Dallas could be canceled. By that point, tens of thousands of passengers might be affected and millions in revenue lost by the airlines. And when the next storm hits, it will happen all over again.

"We are at a breaking point," Blakey says of the U.S. air transportation system. Flight delays will reach record highs this year, and they are expected only to worsen as more passengers fly in the coming years. There are many factors contributing to record flight delays: more passengers, more regional jets that hold fewer passengers, fewer air traffic controllers and airline labor disputes. But a significant reason for flight delays is congestion or breakdowns within the National Aviation System (NAS), which includes airports and the air traffic control centers. In June, problems with NAS caused 32% of all flight delays, according to the Department of Transportation. Some media reports put that number as high as 85%, which might be plausible considering that the Department of Transportation doesn't always have accurate data.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 25 Aug 2007 1:38 pm

sprite wrote:Back to my original point...

Which was? :?

A) Avoid NY Airport (and research airports)

B) Don't listen to me cause I don't have a clue (probably true :wink: )

or

C) It doesn't matter at all as all airports are screwed up in the use so it better to travel by bus. (ok, the bus wasn't your idea).

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sprite » Sat, 25 Aug 2007 4:57 pm

None of the above really. After deciding on climate and reading up on some of the books on the subject and speaking to people with recent expereince in specific places, I would narrow it down by airport serviced by Southwest or JetBlue -- or whoever has the better record.

sprite wrote:It should also be noted that people do not 'zoom' around the US via jet. They get stuck in aiports (metro- New York amongst the worst) in record numbers. Air travel in the US is at an all time low,and getting worse.

If I could live anywhere in the US and my job was dependent on air travel I would research airports.

gctk

Postby gctk » Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:37 am

I wonder if RelocationMum is still reading the thread...

SMS, some disambiguation would be appreciated... I'm sure there's something you don't agree/like about my earlier post. Maybe Relo_Mum might benefit from some elaboration?

Do you mean:
A. DC suburb conditions/weather isn't as described?
B. One won't need a car? (I'm 100% positive she will in her case, although I wasn't direct in saying so.)
C. There are no Asian communities in the DC metro area?
D. DC is just as pricey as NYC/SF?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 Aug 2007 9:30 am

gctk wrote:I wonder if RelocationMum is still reading the thread...

SMS, some disambiguation would be appreciated... I'm sure there's something you don't agree/like about my earlier post. Maybe Relo_Mum might benefit from some elaboration?

Do you mean:
A. DC suburb conditions/weather isn't as described?
B. One won't need a car? (I'm 100% positive she will in her case, although I wasn't direct in saying so.)
C. There are no Asian communities in the DC metro area?
D. DC is just as pricey as NYC/SF?

No, it's not that I agree and/or disagree. As was mentioned earlier, we all have our priorities and what is suitable for one is not necessarily suitable for another. I still have property in Maryland (though it's not on the western shore). My thoughts on DC are more a reflection of the crime statistics. Most of the Suburbs as long as you are talking about north to west of DC are fine but expensive.

redkat7

Postby redkat7 » Sat, 08 Sep 2007 6:19 pm

When choosing a place to live in US, keep in mind the climate - the south's summers are hot and the north's are too cold. The west coast has earthquakes and the south and east coast have hurricanes. Colorado is a nice place - great climate and not too much snow. Also, I wouldn't recommend living where your hubby has to use an international airport (too much hassle now days).

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Postby huggybear » Tue, 11 Sep 2007 8:07 am

redkat7 wrote:When choosing a place to live in US, keep in mind the climate - the south's summers are hot and the north's are too cold. The west coast has earthquakes and the south and east coast have hurricanes. Colorado is a nice place - great climate and not too much snow. Also, I wouldn't recommend living where your hubby has to use an international airport (too much hassle now days).

but with global warming the North will have a nice tropical climate in no time!

ApolloSG

Move to USA

Postby ApolloSG » Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:40 am

Anyone is crazy to move to NY or California! (unless they have family/friends). Taxes are way too high there also.

I'm a Floridian. I have lived/worked in Orlando, Miami, Tampa, Sarasota to name a few cities. There is no state income tax, and the cost of living in Florida is way cheaper than NY or CA.

My suggestion: Tampa, or Orlando. Both have VERY nice airports known internationally among the world's finest. Similar to Changi airport. Very clean. DisneyWorld, Universal Studios, Magic Kingdom, etc. is all there in Orlando, and it only takes 1 hour to drive there from Tampa. With the theme parks in Florida, beaches, shopping, and tropical climate, you will feel just like home here in Singapore. I guarantee it! There is a good asian population in Florida, but also a high Mexican, Latino, and Hispanic population from Central and South America.

And you will NOT have to deal with snow and cold weather. Just enjoy the fresh citrus (oranges, etc.) growing.

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Move to USA

Postby huggybear » Mon, 17 Sep 2007 8:25 am

ApolloSG wrote:Anyone is crazy to move to NY or California! (unless they have family/friends). Taxes are way too high there also.

I'm a Floridian. I have lived/worked in Orlando, Miami, Tampa, Sarasota to name a few cities. There is no state income tax, and the cost of living in Florida is way cheaper than NY or CA.

My suggestion: Tampa, or Orlando. Both have VERY nice airports known internationally among the world's finest. Similar to Changi airport. Very clean. DisneyWorld, Universal Studios, Magic Kingdom, etc. is all there in Orlando, and it only takes 1 hour to drive there from Tampa. With the theme parks in Florida, beaches, shopping, and tropical climate, you will feel just like home here in Singapore. I guarantee it! There is a good asian population in Florida, but also a high Mexican, Latino, and Hispanic population from Central and South America.

And you will NOT have to deal with snow and cold weather. Just enjoy the fresh citrus (oranges, etc.) growing.

no income tax = the gov't just will get your money somewhere else. In the case of florida ... sure income tax is 0% but property tax is MASSIVE.

also cost of insurance is huge in s. florida area.

orlando is boring. disneyworld? it's a once in a lifetime event. meaning if you go once you'll never want to go again.

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sprite » Mon, 17 Sep 2007 9:45 am

huggybear wrote:orlando is boring. disneyworld? it's a once in a lifetime event. meaning if you go once you'll never want to go again.

Perhaps if you were employed there with the 60,000 other cast members you wouldn't find it so 'boring'. :roll:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:49 am

sprite wrote:
huggybear wrote:orlando is boring. disneyworld? it's a once in a lifetime event. meaning if you go once you'll never want to go again.

Perhaps if you were employed there with the 60,000 other cast members you wouldn't find it so 'boring'. :roll:

Busch Gardens is a repeaters though! :P

Tampa's nice but St. Pete's across the bay is nicer. My sis lives used to live in Tampa but is now a wee bit north in Plant City.

No taxes, just never ending Hurricanes which eventually will destroy the Fla. peninsula with a big one (getting bigger and more of them generally speaking with every new season).

The 60K cast members also find it boring. It's just there isn't any other work as the orange groves have been taken over by Hispanics because the cigar industry in Ybor City (Tampa) is taken by the Cubans. If you are not Hispanic, you need to take a language course (Spanish) to be able to even get a job in Florida (Texas, Southern California & Most of the East Coast up to New York also requires Spanish (And all along I though it was the USA - kinda wonder now.)

huggybear
Chatter
Chatter

Postby huggybear » Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:55 pm

sprite wrote:

If i was a "cast member" at disney world
i would:
(1) be earning less then minimum wage (after they take out the $ from your paycheck to rent your costume)
(2) couldn't afford to live in the area
(3) cry that i'm a freaking pluto and that's all i amounted to.

also try not to die in florida...they won't let you die (see terri schavo)

property taxes are killer in florida:
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article ... 43,00.html

might be able to pick up a cheap condo in Miami since property prices have collapsed but then you wouldn't also be able to afford insurance as rates for flood damage / hurricanes since those rates have set new all time highs after hurricane katrina ....

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sprite » Mon, 17 Sep 2007 2:09 pm

huggybear wrote:
sprite wrote:

If i was a "cast member" at disney world
i would:
(1) be earning less then minimum wage (after they take out the $ from your paycheck to rent your costume)
(2) couldn't afford to live in the area
(3) cry that i'm a freaking pluto and that's all i amounted to.

also try not to die in florida...they won't let you die (see terri schavo)

property taxes are killer in florida:
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article ... 43,00.html

might be able to pick up a cheap condo in Miami since property prices have collapsed but then you wouldn't also be able to afford insurance as rates for flood damage / hurricanes since those rates have set new all time highs after hurricane katrina ....

Oooohhh, I didn't realize all you wanted to do is make generalizations. Very helpful :wink: