Singapore Expats Forum

Relocation to USA.Advice needed for location selection

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Relocation_mom

Relocation to USA.Advice needed for location selection

Postby Relocation_mom » Sat, 18 Aug 2007 4:32 pm

Hi all,

We would be moving to USA end of this year. As my husband's job require him to be flying around the states in US. It allows us to select any state to move to.

However, as we were never there before. We couldnt decide on which state to move to. NY or CA? Seems like CA is rather costly in term of taxes and living expenses huh?

We have 3 kids age, 13 yrs old, 8yrs old and 2 yrs old... would need a place where is safe, good schools too.

Anyway please help list out all the pros and cons. Would appreciate alot.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 18 Aug 2007 6:16 pm

Matney
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Matney » Sat, 18 Aug 2007 7:12 pm

SMS, you didn't give the pros and cons of living in Lukenbach Texas. :wink:

Relocation_mom

Postby Relocation_mom » Sat, 18 Aug 2007 8:46 pm

I m actually looking at california but not sure where.. I m never a city person and would enjoy a bit of the suburb relaxation too...

any comment about california?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 18 Aug 2007 10:50 pm

Luckenbach.......

Pros - no overcrowding. Definately out in the suburbs. Population 3. Also, less than an hour's drive from the Capital of Texas at Austin.

Cons - need a map or good directions to find it.

Relocation_mom,

The US has 50 states of which 48 are all connected at least with one other state in the continental US (Hawaii are islands and Alaska is north of Canada). Each state is comprised of a capital city and a number of other large cities and hundreds, nay, thousands of towns. I would recommend going to wikipedia and typing in a state name and then start doing some googling from there as everybody who came from somewhere in the US will have their own opinion of which, generally speaking, all stink. Mine included.

What I find interesting is that you indicated that you could live anywhere in the US so why is the only two states you mention are Calif & NY? Why not Florida, New Jersey (I know why!) or South Dakota for that matter?

California?

It's like a large bowl of granola cereal.................

You know what I mean right? It's full of Fruits, Nuts & Flakes!

LA is full of pretentious people and SF is full of gays. The rest of the state is beautiful geographically wise, it just that the state is full of nuts & flakes and if you are in Silicone valley it's either computers/software or boob jobs.

I went to school in California for a while back in the late '70's, at least then they had hippies in SF. Now, well the less said the better.

Oh, by the way, nobody is from California, they all moved there after being thrown out of their own state/country for being either a fruit, nut or flake.

This ought to get a rise out of some of our reader who have lived there.....

NY? Nobody in their right mind would live in NY. New Jersey maybe. :P

Relocation_mom

Postby Relocation_mom » Sun, 19 Aug 2007 3:47 am

well, I dont only have my mind set in NY or CA.Its just that perhaps I only much heard of these 2 places haha

What about new jersey?Anyone to comment about Fremont in the bayarea?

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sprite » Sun, 19 Aug 2007 7:46 am

There are lots of books on this subject, I suggest you start doing some serious research:

Suggestion 1

Suggestion 2

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 19 Aug 2007 11:32 am

Relocation_mom wrote:well, I dont only have my mind set in NY or CA.Its just that perhaps I only much heard of these 2 places haha

What about new jersey?Anyone to comment about Fremont in the bayarea?

I lived in Alameda in the late '70's ('77) while going to school. All I know about Fremont is that there is a BARF station there (oops! I meant BART station - old habit are hard to kick). (Stands for Bay Area Rapid Transit). Try Google.

It would seem that crime in all categories is much less than the Nationwide figures. (Don't know how it related without a lot of work to the Bay Area as a whole but it would be easy enough for you to do using the following site and a Map of the Bay Area.

http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime.asp ... t&state=CA

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sprite » Sun, 19 Aug 2007 7:28 pm

The Bay Area is outrageously expensive, over-crowded, has horrible schools and you have to cross the bridge to get the airport. Might be dead last for my pick, or just behind southern California.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 19 Aug 2007 9:06 pm

You have to be very careful about establishing permanent residency in California. They have a state income tax. They will attempt to tax you no matter where you go. Many horror stories.

Choose a state with no state income tax or at least a very low one. Choose a mid size to small city... the quality of life is much better. Unless you really enjoy snowy winters, choose the south for a milder climate. The Carolinas, Tennesee come to mind.

Relocation_mom

Postby Relocation_mom » Sun, 19 Aug 2007 9:20 pm

....thanks for everyone's comments and highlighted points to consider.

I m completely out of hand where to choose... I m chinese,my husband is caucasian and I would prefer to live in a state with at least some asian faces.. No,I m not racist.I do not want my kids to forget they are part chinese too, and especially forgetting the language.That was why I m lost when it comes to where to live.

Hubby and I actually prefer mid size town...suburb.We are really not city ppl..but what towns are we looking at... no state income tax...good school around and safe neighbourhood...

Please help... :???:

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Sun, 19 Aug 2007 11:07 pm

Minnesota might be an idea, unless I am mistaken there is large Chinese population resident there (if 3.4 can be called large). Perhaps Sms or Strong Eagle can tell you more?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 19 Aug 2007 11:33 pm

SMS says it's damn cold there! Especially International Falls. SE would probably agree. Might be okay if you're originally from HK or PRC but probably not a good idea if you are a tropical chinese like Singaporean, Indonesian or Malaysian Chinese

sprite
Chatter
Chatter

Postby sprite » Mon, 20 Aug 2007 6:16 am

Relocation_mom wrote:....thanks for everyone's comments and highlighted points to consider.

I m completely out of hand where to choose... I m chinese,my husband is caucasian and I would prefer to live in a state with at least some asian faces.. No,I m not racist.I do not want my kids to forget they are part chinese too, and especially forgetting the language.That was why I m lost when it comes to where to live.

Hubby and I actually prefer mid size town...suburb.We are really not city ppl..but what towns are we looking at... no state income tax...good school around and safe neighbourhood...

Please help... :???:

I think your time would be better spent researching this information directly on-line or by ordering a book from Amazon. This is too big a decision to be left up to a few opinionated souls on a forum. This should be where you come to when you are narrowing down your search, not beginning it. There are thousands of communities that fit you description.

Relocation_mom

Postby Relocation_mom » Mon, 20 Aug 2007 7:46 am

yes, beside reading and researching,it wouldnt be that bad to hear some real words from ppl with experience with it too.Afterall,books and reports are too based on ppl's research.

I m narrowing it down to basically NY or Fremont. Just read about bayside in NY. District 26 the best school in the state. If I m not wrong, Bayside is in the Queens.

I guess Hubby's main office is in New jersey, even though he is in need to zoom around the states,it should be more convenience if we are not far from his office too huh?