Singapore Expats Forum

Can someone please help me?!

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Fri, 17 Aug 2007 4:11 pm

The most logical thing to do first is see a doctor as quickly as possible rather than use a free forum.

I don't know but it might be sleep apnea;

http://www.medicinenet.com/sleep_apnea/article.htm#tocb

Again make a point of seeing a doctor as he/she can conduct tests.

luxiana
Regular
Regular

Postby luxiana » Fri, 17 Aug 2007 4:35 pm

hello!

It happens to me every once in a while. First time i explained it to my family they didnt believe me...

The strange thing is that I could open my eyes but couldnt move. I felt like someone was starring at me and that I couldnt do anything. That generated a lot of anxiety...

then I checked on a couple of medical forums and it appears that it is not a big deal.
It's just that your brain and your body are not in phase. the brain is not completely awake and doesnt send information to the muscles. it usually takes something like 2 to 3 minutes to go back to normal.

since I read this online I am much more relaxed.
my website: free online game

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Fri, 17 Aug 2007 5:01 pm

luxiana wrote:hello!

then I checked on a couple of medical forums and it appears that it is not a big deal.

You would be wiser to check with a doctor, forums don't always give correct information medical or not. Tests which may be conducted by doctor(s) could reveal that which is not otherwise evident consequently what you experienced may be something completely different to the OP.

prkravi
Chatter
Chatter

Sleep anomaly

Postby prkravi » Fri, 17 Aug 2007 6:45 pm

Well,
I used to and at times have this...people could tell you many opinions right from the Bizarre ghost attacks to Negative energy build up in the bedroom to the latest Medical jargons in the industry, dont go by that...go see a good medical practitioner. For all that you know this could be stress related (for me it was!) and i never used any sleeping tablets or stress alleviators, i just learned to cope myself with the situation...now thats easy to say, but needs some effort, and in most cases you need help. So go see a Doc, and prepare yourself to heal it on your own as well.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Fri, 17 Aug 2007 6:51 pm

I think the point to be made is one should never self-diagnose since a 'a little learning can be dangerous' as the saying goes. I would further add that many websites display outdated information. Medicine like many other things is constantly evolving; new discoveries, techniques and diseases unheard of before - you have all heard of SARS as one example.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 17 Aug 2007 9:00 pm

luxiana wrote:It's just that your brain and your body are not in phase.

Boy I know how that is.......l

My Brain is 30 and my body is almost 60! Talk about not in phase! :lol:

luxiana
Regular
Regular

Postby luxiana » Sat, 18 Aug 2007 9:51 am

hahaha, good one SMS!! ;)

as for the forum I got my info from: we have a couple of Forums in France where doctors answer questions (most of the moderators are doctors anyway and participate in most of the posts)

but as each case is different... indeed it would be wiser to visit your practitioner...

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Sat, 18 Aug 2007 2:20 pm

luxiana wrote:
as for the forum I got my info from: we have a couple of Forums in France where doctors answer questions (most of the moderators are doctors anyway and participate in most of the posts)

but as each case is different... indeed it would be wiser to visit your practitioner...

All the same what patients say on a forum and what may actually be the case can and often is something different. As you and I rightly point out it is wiser to visit the surgery.

sq009
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Can someone please help me?!

Postby sq009 » Mon, 20 Aug 2007 1:14 am

emily_nic wrote:For a few years now, I have had a weird occurrence during sleep. It is as if my mind is awake, but my body is still asleep. I am conscious, but I cannot open my eyes or move. I feel very scared, and try to move my body. Then after a short period of time I "snap" out of it and I am awake and able to move. I used to experience this at least once a week, but after I started taking zoloft, and then switched to Paxil they rarely happen. All of the sudden I had one after almost a year of not having them, and am afraid that they are going to occur on a regular basis. Does anyone know about this kind of thing or have any ideas of what it could be? Thank you for your time.

Dont worry, its a normal human biological response.

Ask youself these questions:

1. Do you often work very hard?
2. Do you feel uptight even in the day?
3. Do you find it hard to sleep or find it hard to relax?

When your mind is in a 'combat' mode, its always ready to function. The phenomena is common whereby your body is in resting mode, but your brain is still in 'combat' mode. The most immediate funtion you will expect is your vision and hearing.

It was referred in the past as being possesed by ghost, but this has been debunked as a myth and there are scientific studies to prove it.

This human response is getting more and more common in modern society, as people tend to work harder longer.

dont worry, you are fine, just take some time off and take a good rest
In Pursuit Of Excellence and Perfection

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Mon, 20 Aug 2007 1:51 am

sq009 wrote:Dont worry, its a normal human biological response.

Ask youself these questions:

dont worry, you are fine, just take some time off and take a good rest

How would you know unless you are a qualified doctor? Your post is based on assumptions since you may not know the facts from the OP's post. In addition, as has already been pointed out doctors may do additional tests.

luxiana
Regular
Regular

Postby luxiana » Mon, 20 Aug 2007 5:32 am

i love wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

but still: can ask a doctor about that.

luxiana
Regular
Regular

Postby luxiana » Mon, 20 Aug 2007 5:33 am

how to cope with sleep paralysis: http://www.wikihow.com/Cope-With-Sleep-Paralysis

I love number 10 ;)

kathryn_nitn

Can someone please help me?!

Postby kathryn_nitn » Mon, 20 Aug 2007 6:11 pm

Hey,
Definitely you are suffering from sleep disorder. I would highly recommend you DermaSleep as safe prescription. I got it a few years back when I was suffering from the same problem. I used DermaSleep and slept profusely. My disease god cured away in a fortnight too. DermaSleep is the most effective natural remedy for treating insomnia and promoting healthy sleep and it does work without any side effects. Hope this will help you.
All the best!!!

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Mon, 20 Aug 2007 7:07 pm

kathryn_nitn wrote:Hey,
Definitely you are suffering from sleep disorder. I would highly recommend you DermaSleep as safe prescription.

That is rather crass to say the least as is evident by the above posts; the OP cannot know for sure what she is suffering from, best to establish facts before recommending remedies.

blueibmer

Postby blueibmer » Thu, 30 Aug 2007 3:48 pm

try a shot of your favorite hard drink before sleeping... :D i have a sleep disorder something like yours... although for me, i wake up almost exactly 3am (like in some horror movies), just my eyes wide open, and i couldn't move , i first thought it had something to do with the cold temperature of my room, next is a minute before my alarm goes off... my sleep disorder might have something to do with my body clock as well... i don't want to believe in ghosts ... is grinding of teeth while sleeping a sleeping disorder?