Singapore Expats Forum

expat assignment in India

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

one843
Regular
Regular

expat assignment in India

Postby one843 » Fri, 17 Aug 2007 7:33 am

Can anyone give thoughts on living in India as a European Expat.
More specificaly Pune India.
"If you fear change, you fear success"

Allibert
Chatter
Chatter

Living in Pune

Postby Allibert » Sun, 19 Aug 2007 12:46 am

I was in Pune for 2 weeks earlier this year.. Two weeks were enough for me. As a european expat you would probably dir of boredom. If you haven't been to a country like India before you should maybe take a trip to Pune for 2 or 3 days. Yu would probably realise very quickly that it is not the kind of place you would like to spend and extended stay.

jpatokal

Re: Living in Pune

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 21 Aug 2007 7:55 pm

Allibert wrote:I was in Pune for 2 weeks earlier this year.. Two weeks were enough for me. As a european expat you would probably dir of boredom.

There are lots of things that can kill you in India, but boredom is not one of them :P

I've been working in India (Delhi) on and off for the past half year now, and while it certainly always is a pleasure to come back to Singapore, India is a fascinating and, like the ads say, "incredible" place. You'll need an open mind and a high tolerance for things not going your way though...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Allibert
Chatter
Chatter

True

Postby Allibert » Wed, 22 Aug 2007 11:02 pm

but having been in many cities in India, there's LARGE difference between Pune and. let's say, Delhi, Mumbai or Bangalore

jpatokal

Re: True

Postby jpatokal » Thu, 23 Aug 2007 4:53 pm

Allibert wrote:but having been in many cities in India, there's LARGE difference between Pune and. let's say, Delhi, Mumbai or Bangalore

Which is...?
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

guruvishwanath
Chatter
Chatter

Postby guruvishwanath » Thu, 23 Aug 2007 5:38 pm

Allright folks! Before you start a pissing match, let me take this over. I can guarantee that I am the right person to write about this. Why? I dont know. Say because I was born, bred, lived, educated, graduated, worked in India.

Delhi, Mumbai etc are known are metros. They are different as their population is large, lots of migratory citizens looking for work from around the country. Hyderabad, Bangalore are urban cities which do not have the same crescendo as Mumbai or Delhi.

Pune is approximately 3 hour drive from Bombay. Between Bombay and Pune you have a section of the Western Ghats (mountains) seperating them. Lonavala, a suburb near Pune, has been the summer resort for the wealthy in Bombay. And also the home to some of the corporate guest houses.

Pune is not a large city. But it has its share of bars, pubs, clubs. Mainly due to the fact that the largest IT companies decided to move operations to Pune. Infosys, Wipro, TCS to name a few have transformed this small city into a vibrant centre and increasing prosperity. With prosperity comes propensity to indulge and hence bars, pubs and clubs. Again think small please. When I say clubs, its not like Singapore where it runs into triple digits.

And also, getting into the party circuit is not easy. Trust me! Even as an Indian, I wont be accepted that easily. You need to get someone to introduce and vouch for you. After a few interactions, you will become part of a clique, provided they decide that you are ok and worth hanging out with. I am not being rude but just practical. I have the same issue when I return to India. Despite having many friends, they still must introduce me to new people. :-) Reminding again, the scale of expectation is very different. Also, unlike Singapore its not very easy to chat up girls. It may sometimes cause problems as Indian men are very possessive if not downright insecure when it comes to others "poaching" their territory. :-) :P

On the flip side, Pune is history galore. There are tons of places to go and see and soak in the most amazing history lessons any country can provide. Rent a car or a bike and chug around and you will find a different way of existance.

Finally, there should be a sizable community of expats in Pune. So you should not have a problem. And here is the best part. Hook off to Bombay for the weekend. Take a train which will cost you next to nothing and couple of hours later, you are in Bombay. Or take one of the dinky low cost flights and 30 minutes you are in Bombay. Find some friends there, so that you dont blow money on the ridiculous hotel prices, for crashing the weekend. Have a blast and return back Sunday night to Pune.

I would say take it! Have a unique perspective of living in a place where the word "quite" actually has a meaning.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 23 Aug 2007 6:51 pm

guru,

Nice writeup! Now that's the kind of posts I enjoy reading. Good one.

sms

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Thu, 23 Aug 2007 8:38 pm

Hi Guru, long time no see! And yes it was a very nice write-up. Makes me want to move to Pune myself for a year or so!

guruvishwanath
Chatter
Chatter

Postby guruvishwanath » Fri, 24 Aug 2007 3:41 pm

SMS, WIMH,

Thank you. Complements are much appreciated. :-)

Corporate life means being a slave to a capitalist system which begs you to forgoe life, relationship (non existant) and everything else. So I guess I was busy shuttling around. Had a couple of holidays back home in India which ended up in me gaining 4 kilos. And now I am sweating in the gym to loose it. Oh! joy! :shock:

On a positive note, I may not die a poor man! So at least when I am 85 years old, a Anna Nicole Smith wannabe may want to dance for me and marry me and kill me a happy man! :-) :P