Singapore Expats Forum

Rental fee increasement, 100%...

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

papaya

Rental fee increasement, 100%...

Postby papaya » Tue, 14 Aug 2007 12:41 pm

Hi there.

I am living in a HDB flat going to be 4th year from this August in this house.
The owner has been very good, and the place is nice to live. Not much problem, though sometimes there were minor issues.

Now, i am facing a big problem. the owner suddenly informed me that she is going to increase the rental, 100% more than my current fee.
She said early this year(Feb.) that she was going to increase 20% of the rental. But after we talked, she decided not to increase and still wants me to stay there, saying she had no plan to sell it off.
Even though, the owner has been very nice and said of 'no increasement', tenor is weaker party, so i told her if she could make it a note and sign on it. She did, and i still have the note. I checked yesterday again ; the conditions will be remaining with the previous contract until July. 2008'.

My question is ;
>> is it possible to change the contract(increasment) even before the contract finishes?

Though, i am willing to negotiate offering her 10-20% up, but No 100% !!!.. Actually, not able to pay this high !
Why the owners(or the people???) are So Nasty here ? I hear this kind of Nasty stuff A lot. And I got one through myself before this house. The owner was not returning the deposit, saying i didn't give her AirCon Cleaning Bill !!! :mad:
Please advise me.

luxiana
Regular
Regular

Postby luxiana » Tue, 14 Aug 2007 2:58 pm

the real estate has been going crazy recently and people read too much the newspapers.

my landlord wanted to do the same to me. a friend of mine had the same problem with the Agent...

we both said no to the increase as our tenancy agreements are signed until 2008 and 2009.

another of my friends just left his place because the Agent wanted to increase the price without the knowledge of the landlady. result: the landlady was really pisxxx off.

what's in the interest of the landlord:
- having someone who takes care of the flat
- someone who pays its rent on time

and on top of that: increasing the rent by XX % doesnt guarantee to find a tenant...

by the way: is it legal to rent a flat in a HDB? I thought these flats were sold to Singaporeans so that they own their flat instead of renting.
my website: free online game

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 14 Aug 2007 4:55 pm

If you have owned your HDB flat for more than 5 years you can now rent out the flat I believe without having "1 room locked" (meaning the whole flat can now be rented out where before you were allowed to rent out rooms but the owner was also theoretically still living there.

luxiana
Regular
Regular

Postby luxiana » Tue, 14 Aug 2007 7:39 pm

interesting... thanks for sharing the info
my website: free online game

papaya

Postby papaya » Thu, 16 Aug 2007 7:39 pm

I've got an advise from local Singaporean, who is my naigbour. He said, I don't need to worry, for i have the statement. Oh It was so Smart of me to get the signature !!!

And the fee the owner asking is, Way, Way-High in the area. How can she ask the price !!!
Anyone who wants more money, greedy, stomping a person on a back, they would be punished someday. So I decided to sell off Funds not to be too much greedy. heheh :D Fund prices are rocket-falling these days...i shan't want so much just sitting on a chair. = )