Singapore Expats Forum

Bus arrival information displays (aka "How long more?")

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

rhino
Regular
Regular

Bus arrival information displays (aka "How long more?&q

Postby rhino » Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:47 pm

A bus arrival info display magically appeared at the bus stop on Scotts Rd opposite the Grand Hyatt tonight. I never thought I would see it, but Singaporeans have now been introduced to one of the more interesting characteristics of the rail network in Sydney - arrival times on display boards that get longer as you wait! Several of the times got longer by 2 or 3 minutes while I waited. Obviously the technology isn't perfect.

So does anyone think they are a good idea? My first experience of them would suggest that they aren't particularly useful, but instead give you (from my experience tonight anyway) evidence of how the bus system struggles at night, or doesn't live up to its suggested / mandated frequency, e.g. the 700A was due in 14 minutes, and the subsequent in 43 minutes time - i.e. 29 minutes between services when the frequency is meant to be (from memory) 13-15 minutes.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Tue, 14 Aug 2007 12:09 am

We have them in London and I am happier they are there than before when you had no idea whether or not a bus was actually on route. However, I should point out there are a lot of problems with traffic in London and more often than not buses are canceled bunched together because of jams and turned short of their destinations.

The problem you describe also happens on the dot-matrix indicators on the London Underground.

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asian_Geekette » Mon, 20 Aug 2007 1:25 pm

After the 30's Club dinner last night, I was waiting for the bus near HMV when I first saw the bus arrival info display. I found it useful as I at least had an idea that the bus is arriving in a few minutes. It's not as if I'm just waiting for nothing. :D
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning