Singapore Expats Forum

On National Day we should remember.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ukdesigner » Mon, 13 Aug 2007 6:10 pm

Seriously though, we may be the first generation to worry that our children will be less well off than we were because of the pressures of globalisation, whereas previous generations seemed quite certain that their children would be better off than them. It's not that the playground is different today, it's almost like there is no playground anymore.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there.The world is going so fast that nobody is taking the time to stop and look at whats actually happening.

I moved to Asia to get away from the constant rat-race and whilst you hear stories of people competing against each other with the bigger cars, bigger houses, better this and better that, I actually came for a simpler life. Getting back to having friends that aren't your friends for 50 weeks of the year because their schedule is so busy.

I think the world needs to slow things down a bit and just see whats going on. Funnily enough i don't want children but I fear for my nephews and all those that do have children for what is going to happen to them in the future. We can already see a start of that here with property prices out of the reach of 30 somethings let alone 20 somethings.

The technology could be used to so much advantage but I fear that it is actually being used against us. Look at London. You are apparently (and I am only from memory so i might be wrong) seen on cctv on average 40,000 times a week. Whilst people praise that when used for terrorist catching and the like the question should be why are we being watched so intensley? Are people frightened? I think the answer is yes. technology has made the children ant-social, pedophiles no longer need to leave their house.. etc etc. The list goes on.

the funny thing is I use technology daily and in fact i rely on it for my business but that is an example where technology has helped businesses develop better business practice.

I say slow down...
Don't p*ss me off! I am running out of places to hide the bodies.

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:50 pm

ukdesigner wrote:I say slow down...

Don't we all. Ironically, a few more terrorist coups should do the trick just fine. The onerous security measures, the heightened mistrust, the reduced travel... Be careful what we wish.