Singapore Expats Forum

On National Day we should remember.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

sundaymorningstaple

On National Day we should remember.

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 11:23 pm

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THOSE WHO WERE BORN IN THE
1920's, 30's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us and lived in houses made of asbestos.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese, raw egg products, loads of bacon and processed meat, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets or shoes, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the back of a pickup on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Take away food was limited to fish and chips, no pizza shops, McDonalds, KFC, etc etc.

Even though all the shops closed at 6.00pm and didn't open after Saturday afternoon at the weekends, somehow we didn't starve to death!

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We could collect old soft drink bottles and cash them in at the corner store.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soft drinks with sugar in them, but we weren't overweight because......

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. We built tree houses and played in river beds with matchbox cars.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on TV, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were No Lawsuits from these accidents.

Only girls had pierced ears!

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

You could only buy Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns at Easter time.......no really!

We were given pellet ( BB) guns and catapults for our 10th birthdays,

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

Mum didn't have to go to work to help dad make ends meet!

FOOTBALL, RUGBY and CRICKET had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

Getting onto the team was based on MERIT AND NOT DUE TO BLACKMAIL, THREATS AND GUILT FROM THE PAST strange but true!

Our teachers used to belt us with rulers and we were too scared of what our parents would do to us if we told them that we never did.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

Our parents didn't invent stupid names for their kids like "Kiora" and "Blade" and "Ridge" and "Vanilla"

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!
The past 70 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Thanks "Old Mike".

sms

Barczar
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Barczar » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 11:31 pm

I'll Drink To That! Great Post!
If you want to play with the Big Dogs you can't pee like a Puppy!

luxiana
Regular
Regular

Postby luxiana » Fri, 10 Aug 2007 5:57 am

hummm seems a bit harsh though...

I must say that being a foreigner in singapore my opinion might appear biased. my knowledge of history is pretty limited but I like to watch documentaries...

apparently Mr Lee Kuan Yew really is the father of a nation based on values that many countries (including mine...) forgot a while ago: being nationalistic is tolerated, freedom of religion, integration...

some politicians would have a lot to learn from such a person.

I tend to think that singapore is a post-politic country. the country is managed more than governed. if the managers are good so the country will do well.

40 years of almost uninterrupted growth, political stability, full employment, a policy that allowed most people to be owner of their own flat and next to 0 corruption.

if it wasnt for the habit of some crooks to try to plunder white boys when they enter their shop (especially sim lim and far east plaza) the country would just be a paradise.

apparently some Singaporeans sometimes forget that the grass is not greener across the border. take the direct neighbor and you'll see how well managed Malaysia is... it's so striking: on w.end it is pay day: you come back, cops stop your car pretending you were driving too fast. give them a couple of bank notes and you are free to go... crime rate is also not the same across the border.

and amazingly people are not trying to run away from Singapore but are trying to come in. a sign maybe... ;)
my website: free online game

one843
Regular
Regular

Postby one843 » Fri, 10 Aug 2007 7:50 am

SMS,
That quote is SPOT ON.

Those were the good days.

Yes we have made great leaps in technology and information, health care.

But look what we have sacrificed. Then ask yourself what would you give up today to have what we had 40 years ago.

I would have to say that if you are below the age of thirty you should not be allowed to coment seeing as though you do not know what is was like in the 70s. You can watch every docymentary made and talk to everyone that was alive and building go karts in the 50s, 60s, and 70s, but you will never fully understand how it was to live back then.

I am speaking about how things were in 1st world countries.

In regards to building a go kart and realizing that you forgot about the brakes. Some of use did that on purpose.
"If you fear change, you fear success"

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Aug 2007 10:38 am

one843 wrote:But look what we have sacrificed. Then ask yourself what would you give up today to have what we had 40 years ago.

I'd give up this PC, My PDA, VCR, cellphone - everything except a TV that I rarely watch anyway, land line and radio (definitely need the radio as I would need it for the local tide tables). I plan to do most of that within next 5 years anyway when I move back to the farm. Won't be needing any of this and it's also a good way to keep the in-laws away as well. :mrgreen:

luxiana
Regular
Regular

Postby luxiana » Fri, 10 Aug 2007 10:42 am

one843 wrote:SMS,
That quote is SPOT ON.

Those were the good days.

funny you say that with what you have in your signature "if you fear change you fear success" ... ;)
my website: free online game

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Aug 2007 10:59 am

I would think that he is saying use change to be successful so that you can then afford to live the lifestyle you desire. This is what I'm going to do. I think his sig makes a lot a sense as does our desires to go back to a different era that was slower. Too many people suffer burnout because they don't know when enough is enough (to many it's never enough - those I feel sorry for).

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Postby ukdesigner » Fri, 10 Aug 2007 1:29 pm

I'd like to pitch in if I may.

I'm a baby of the 70's so can't really comment on the earlier years.

I agree with everything in the original post. As kids we did share drinks etc etc and I feel the world has now become such a nanny world.

I'm mid 30's and even I think the world has gone to far. Burnout is all too common with expectations and speed being the ultimate requirements these days. Overworked, underpaid etc etc.

As another poster said... people are trying to get into Singapore so they must be doing something right, and to be perfectly honest thats why I left the UK. They are doing nothing right there.

So whilst the country may have strange ways (well where i'm from) I think it has alot going for it and I intend to stay as long as I can here.

Peace and harmony among racial groups, lovely. No punch-ups outside clubs on a weekend, perfect. And thats just a couple of things.

Ok, so I haven't been here very long and probably haven't experienced the bad sides here but don't you just wish for some of those good old days of sharing a drink with a friend out of the same bottle, children playing freely outside without fear of who's gonna snatch them!!

We had gained so much over the last 50 odd years and lost so much in the process I believe.

So much for advancement eh!.

mayamomi
Regular
Regular

Postby mayamomi » Fri, 10 Aug 2007 4:23 pm

nice post SMS...

really made me think how we got on without mobiles... i really forgot how we communicated back then... if there's one thing i could give up, i guess its the mobile phone!! bcz it seems like the most important thing to me now... i could forget my wallet, id, bank cards etc .. but not the mobile....

but can we really live like before??
To you, he's a dog...
To me, he's everything...

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 Aug 2007 5:31 pm

Unfortunately, no.

But we can voluntarily give up some of the technology. Sometimes the instant word (sms, email, chat, youtube, etc) is a lot more dangerous than the old slower written word. Just look at some of these threads. The rapid responding to messages without thinking through what you are saying. How many misunderstanding do these create. I, for one, won't miss my cell phone. Even though I've carried one for years, I still tend to have to return to the house to get it as more times than not I forget it. Today I've been out all afternoon and when I returned, it was only then that I realized I'd left it home again. When I'm home, I turn it off. Always have. Same with the PC. Never leave it logged in 24/7. I control the technology. I don't let the technology control me.

mayamomi
Regular
Regular

Postby mayamomi » Fri, 10 Aug 2007 5:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:

Unfortunately, no.

But we can voluntarily give up some of the technology. Sometimes the instant word (sms, email, chat, youtube, etc) is a lot more dangerous than the old slower written word. Just look at some of these threads. The rapid responding to messages without thinking through what you are saying. How many misunderstanding do these create. I, for one, won't miss my cell phone. Even though I've carried one for years, I still tend to have to return to the house to get it as more times than not I forget it. Today I've been out all afternoon and when I returned, it was only then that I realized I'd left it home again. When I'm home, I turn it off. Always have. Same with the PC. Never leave it logged in 24/7. I control the technology. I don't let the technology control me.

guess thats just it ... not letting the technology control us.. but we cannot deny its became a neccessity ..

although i'm sure we can live without it, its easier said than done ...
To you, he's a dog...

To me, he's everything...

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Fri, 10 Aug 2007 10:34 pm

Being an Englishman myself, I share some of my sentiments in particular with UK designer although I am clearly much older. :oops:
Singapore in many ways reminds me of Britain during the sixties; the door of our house in the countryside was always unlocked so my brother and I didn't need keys to get in getting home from school. There wasn't the paranoid and mostly unjustified fear of your children being dragged off by sex pervert, bus drivers didn't have plastic screens in front of them, store manager didn't need stab-proof vests and handcuffs the way some do now.
Not everything was good then I must admit but I really don't like seeing youngsters and older urinating and vomitting in public from drinking too much. The dirty habits that often so visible are another annoyance along with sexual infidelity. Sorry sms but I hate that damned chewing gum habit we imported from the US. :P

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asian_Geekette » Sat, 11 Aug 2007 10:51 pm

I was born in the 70's and consider myself a child of the 80's (yeah, I danced to Cindy Lauper and Duran Duran's songs and other cool New Wave music). I grew up without a phone and thought that we only use phones for emergency purposes (yes, I grew up in a 3rd world country but I drank water from the faucet and didn't get sick or anything). It was quite safe in the neighborhood and we even played hide and seek at night (only during school holidays when there's no classes the next day and only during special holidays when our older folks were also outside and chit-chatting, otherwise we're good children and was home doing homework or helping with some chores :D). When we want to see our friends, we'd just walk over to their homes and spent time with them (without the distraction of SMS or MMS).

It's ironic when people ask me about what's the latest cool electronic gadget to buy. Though I deal with a lot of high tech IT stuff, I own a basic mobile phone since I only use it to make calls or send SMS (so I'm not a multi-feature gadget fanatic). If I want to take pictures, I use a digicam. If I want to send an email or surf the net, I use the laptop. And I'm using the computer lesser now ever since I got diagnosed with mild CTS. I love technology but I also know that too much technology can be bad. I believe in using technology to improve the quality of our lives and not using technology to isolate ourselves from others.

We can't bring back what we missed about the past but we can make sure that we hold on to what we truly treasure.
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sun, 12 Aug 2007 5:17 pm

I used to be a gadget lover changing PDAs every so often, but have gone back to pencil and paper, which is so much faster and easier. Plus I don't like being at the mercy of a battery. That's the one technology that is holding all our high-tech toys hostage.

Not sure if the comparison of 'childhood now' and 'childhood then' works though. When we were growing up, terrorists did not fly planes into buildings, girls were not raped by men they met on the internet, and men were not expected to be SNAGs. :wink:

Seriously though, we may be the first generation to worry that our children will be less well off than we were because of the pressures of globalisation, whereas previous generations seemed quite certain that their children would be better off than them. It's not that the playground is different today, it's almost like there is no playground anymore.

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Postby riversandlakes » Mon, 13 Aug 2007 3:53 pm

SMS, sooo complicated... :oops: :twisted:
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.