Singapore Expats Forum

Brits? Scandinavians?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
vinterinorge

Brits? Scandinavians?

Postby vinterinorge » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 8:45 am

Been living in England for 7 years and a year in Norway. Been home for awhile now and am missing the english accent/ speaking and listening to norwegian (norsk er litt dårlig nå!!) ... anyone care to meet up for a pint?

Mandy2

Postby Mandy2 » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 12:11 pm

Seriously, why bother to come to a new place when all you want is to hear familiar accents?

vuieeuivnzpi

Postby vuieeuivnzpi » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 5:42 pm

I'd guess it's the same reason you're perusing an expat's forum on National Day. There's nothing wrong with having enjoyed the life you led prior to coming to Singapore... I know this is a bit hypocritical but why be mean for no reason?

vinterinorge

Postby vinterinorge » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 10:29 pm

Thanks mate! Truth is, i'm local but have lived overseas for about 10 years now. I miss being able to practise my norwegian, etc, etc.

Kitten Heel
Regular
Regular

Postby Kitten Heel » Mon, 13 Aug 2007 9:28 pm

Hi there,

I know exactly how you feel. I'm semi local (Malaysian. Mom is Singaporen though). When I came back here 4 years ago I had HUGE Australian accent and all the Singaporeans called me the "Ang Mo' even though I'm clearly Asian.

Sophie Ng

Hope this helps

Postby Sophie Ng » Sun, 19 Aug 2007 8:42 am

You know what, if you feel out of place and want to fit in again, all you have to do is to change your accent back to a local one. Unless you have lived in Australia since you were born, I don't see why you can't get back your original accent.

To show you that this actually works ............

My friend, who has lived in the UK for 20 years, still retains her local accent whenever she comes back to visit (she is still residing in the UK) and we never ever call her an "ang mo". We still accept her as one of us.

Hope this helps. :D