Singapore Expats

SQ Recruitment on 25 & 26 August 2007

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
cantswim
Regular
Regular

Post by cantswim » Mon, 27 Aug 2007 1:34 am

lolaDel,
ur english problem is easy to be solved, just avoid using MSN-language :wink:

downtown,
there are two ways of living, optimistic and pessimistic.
i'm sure optimists would live better lives. please throw all your negative thinking away. u should ask, "how can i improve my english?", instead of saying"i am advised to give everything up".
we are a group of strangers to you, but we build our friendship through this forum. we care for our friends, therefore we care for everyone, including you. if you have any difficulties, we'll give lots of advices to you, please don't give up.
lots of us have english problem, at different moments, just because we are not born in western countries. to improve our english, there are a lot of methods. i was afraid to open my mouth to speak english when i was in high school. when i was in form 2, my english teacher told us to listen to the radio everyday. i did, and i could speak well after 1 year.
i left high school, went to a chinese college where people refused to speak english. i still did well, because i had some friends who knew that english is important.
after that i worked in a chinese primary school, english walked out of my life. after 3 years of working, i went for interview in June this year. i shattered while i spoke, i knew i would fail because of my lack of confidence.
then i decided to do what my teacher taught me, listen. this time i watch TV series, with no subtitles. for the first episode, i was totally blank. i couldn't hear a word. then i managed to catch up after a few episodes.

we are glad to share our experiences with you. please, you are young, never say give up. these are tiny problems in your entire life.

lolaDel wrote:
downtown wrote:i fail my english os two times already :cry: ...i am advised to give everything up :( ...i get a low D for my language and communication (powerpoint presentation) in school..i am up to this limit already :cry: ...i am out of basic standard...even if i prefer to work in air, i had consider to be glamourous by working on land(hotel, restuarant).. :lol: you do the same type of work too..except you get a higher pay by SIA.. if you think the first round is so easy, who will want to give up easily? if i pass the first round, i won't pass 2nd round due to comparison in my english qualifications..

it depend on how you see it...it might be easy or difficult to some people..different people, difference perpective and thoughts.. :?
hey peeps..

downtown, i truly understands ur position. i tried today walk in (26th aug), but guess wat i was rejected flatly at the table!! furthermore, it was ma 1st attempt :( . the main reason cause ive got d7 fer ma english for ma os but i went thru the other route, ite.i didnt repeat ma os definitely but Ive got nitec, higer nitec n diploma in da local polytechic too. besides that, ive been werking part time in fnb,customer service fer many years and currenly im werkin in one of established boutique.

despite those, i was chased away. it was quite disappointing. :( i tried to explain tat my highest qualification is diploma but they said i still need to haf a pass for ma english in os. seriously, if i was rejected during the interviews, i would understand because there is something wrong wit me which needs to be improve but they dun even grant me the first interview. :cry:

im not tryin to be mean but i think i dun need to write when i serve the pax isnt it?? unless exceptional cases like deaf or anything... but i dun think i need to use bombastic words tho. sigh....i mean i guess i dun write well (u guys be da judge) but i feel i can speak well, im not afraid of public speaking. ( emcee in sch occasions and thousands of presentations do me magic).

im gonna repeat ma english os after 7 years tho not because of sq but i think it is necessary fer ma future.. but i need to wait fer like 2 years to get a pass so by the tyme i touching the late twenties already... :cry: im really clueless now.. i been wanting to fly but da attempt was very demoralising..
:(

i wish they didnt look at os jus now but look thru at ma other qualifications and ma experience in customer service..sigh.

meanwhile, im thinkin of other airlines but i reallly wish to be based in spore tho... :-|
I decide my future.

_Good_

Post by _Good_ » Mon, 27 Aug 2007 8:39 am

12345 wrote:
_Good_ wrote:
12345 wrote:Hie confidenceless...wanted to check with u, wat was the question posted to u during ur grp interview?? Thanks! :) N all d best again for ur WCT! :D
Hello 12345. :)

We were asked " Pls give an intro of yourself and tell us why you are here today"

It was freaky man! My heart almost jumped out when I entered the room. Thanks God I was the 2nd person to talk. If I had been the first, I would have freaked out liao! :shock:

Think that the 1st round is more scary then the 3rd round where its a one-on-one interview. :)
Congrats _Good_ on making it thru today! :D Yupz...first round is always the scary one, esp when there's so many pairs of eyes staring at you. Hehe.

Wait, did i read wrongly??? The guys gotta go for face-check??!! :shock: Wat izzit all abt? As in like the one where they shine a bright light on ur face???
Yes! :shock: I was so surprised! They actually asked me and the other guy who passed the 1st round to come into the kebaya checking room to take our weight and height and to do a FACE check!!! :shock:

But it was okay lah. Though both of us didn't have perfect skin we still got thru to the 3rd round. Ha... but it felt quite weird. Ha! :lol:

downtown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by downtown » Mon, 27 Aug 2007 8:49 am

loladel, from your experience, i think i am not going to stand a single chance :? ...sadly, i like the job very much but i cannot compare with other people...i assume they place me as the last person to answer after seeing my qualifications...when i answer, they didn't even look at me :cry: ...i still look towards the bright side and continue without the job.. :lol:

jing83

Post by jing83 » Mon, 27 Aug 2007 9:09 am

anyone noes wad they r looking out for in the wct round? will it b tough for non-swimmers? will tat day continue with management round or just wct alone?

anyone noes if we were to makeup tat day? coz my frenz went for us in july & she told mi tat everyday do full makeup as to conceal flaws...

downtown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by downtown » Mon, 27 Aug 2007 9:48 am

I know a little bit how to swim..make sure you go for regular training

_Good_

Post by _Good_ » Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:39 am

jing83 wrote:anyone noes wad they r looking out for in the wct round? will it b tough for non-swimmers? will tat day continue with management round or just wct alone?

anyone noes if we were to makeup tat day? coz my frenz went for us in july & she told mi tat everyday do full makeup as to conceal flaws...
Hello Jing83,

Think they'll be looking out for 2 main things.

1. Whether you're afriad of water and your reaction when you jump into the water. So on that day, you have to be clam and composed when you jump into the pool. Even if you can't swim you'll be wearing a life vest so naturally you'll be floating. So juz slowly, kick and paddle with your way to the other side of the pool. :wink:

2. After the short swim. You'll have to walk a short distance towards a staff. They'll be evaluating you body featuers for improportion and for large visable scars. They're also looking at the way you walk! So walk confidently! :)

I guess its always better to over-dress then to underdress. So I'll be waering my formal wear. You'll never know whats gonna happen. For all you know the management round will be straight after the WCT! Ha.. :roll:

downtown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by downtown » Mon, 27 Aug 2007 11:03 am

for girls only, what if you are not convenient to swim on that day? :? surely you aren't going to tell them the reasons? :( :lol:

lolitaa
Regular
Regular

Post by lolitaa » Mon, 27 Aug 2007 2:17 pm

Hi,

I went for Saturday's interview and got through.

1st Interview: -
We were told to introduce ourselves by just sharing our name, age and occupation/ what we're currently doing and nothing else, not even jobscope and hobbies. The interviewers will then post different Qs to each individual according to the candidate's profile written on the application.
Passing rate: 4/10

3rd Interview: -

I was asked about my previous working experience as a customer care consultant, what I have been doing, whether I think my chances of getting in is high, the job scope of a FA, how ready I am to get into this job, then followed by the reading of the passage.
My groupmates left before I came out, therefore I can't make up the passing rate.

My WCT will be on this Wednesday, 29 Aug. The paper and information given to me only indicate that we will be going through the water confidence test.

I see that the above post have mentioned that, we might be having our management interview as well.
May I know whether you guys were informed about the management interview upon receiving the date for your WCT?
Thanks in advance!

WoofAndQuack

Post by WoofAndQuack » Mon, 27 Aug 2007 3:22 pm

]hgjgh
Last edited by WoofAndQuack on Mon, 27 Aug 2007 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
people change to accept changes in people

WoofAndQuack

Post by WoofAndQuack » Mon, 27 Aug 2007 3:26 pm

12345 wrote:
WoofAndQuack wrote:
12345 wrote: Dun worry...i'm sure u'll do fine. The passing rate for WCT is generally the HIGHEST among all the rounds of interviews. Usually, they'll only eliminate 2-3 ppl. So yeah...dun worry so much :)

If i'm not wrong, after ur swim...u r to walk towards the HR staff who will be standing sum distance away. Once u're there, she'll ask u to make a 360 degrees turn...hehe. Not too sure wat they're checking for actually...but i suppose it's for tattoos and stuff. After dat, they r gonna retake ur height and weight measurement. N that's the end of the entire WCT :D U'll then be notified if u r shortlisted for the final interview...

Wow...the passing rate is not that high huh. Like 4/10 for the first round. I mean, everybody is thinking that they r pretty desperate for crews but yet...nothing seems to indicate that. Hmmm......
hey 12345, do you know wat contributes to failure in water confidence test?? i made it to WCT round. mine is on the 4th september coz i'm a guy. No tatoos/scars, i'm quite flabby but can look presentable when wearing shirt. actually, WCT is the round that I fear most,fear comes from my quite fat body shape. it helps when u say the highest go thru but i'm afraid i will fall under the few dat don't.

my 1st round only 3 out of 10. lucky for guys, no skin check watsoever!
Hey WoofAndQuack,

Well, i guess the obvious reason would be a lack of confidence while jumping and also when u're in the water. Another aspect would be tattoos but since u're cleared from that, u shud do well. I'm not too sure if they do look at body shape for the guys...but i think height would be another factor. Coz they will re-measure u after the WCT, n prob would eliminate those who struggle to reach the min requirement.

Dun worry too much about ur body shape. I'm sure as long as u're not very flabby...it's still acceptable to them. Nothing is certain in SIA i would say. During my time, there was a guy with TATTOOS who managed to clear WCT n he's undergoing training now! Sooo...just pray for the best n i'm sure u'll do fine. All d best!

Oh btw, wat was the question posted to u during ur grp interview? :)
oh ok thanxx then. i know they ask us to bring our swimming gear but i just got info from somebody quite high ranking in SIA that we will be given OVERALLS and life vest. Does dat means guys dun have to go topless?? and for girls, do they have to jump in the kebaya? like in the video they showed in the waiting room?
btw, my first round Q's:
introduction & tell us more abt urself.
3 out of 10 made it
people change to accept changes in people

downtown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by downtown » Mon, 27 Aug 2007 5:52 pm

all of us get different questions in 1st round...i am so unlucky :mad: ..my one is so difficult...which do you think is important..fame or fortune.. :o :o :o compare to last time 8 out of 10 make it now 2 out of 10 :( i admit most girls spoke as okay as during my 2nd attempt but they still didn't get it :? ...i think they had choosen the better ones on saturday

Chatter
Chatter

Post by 12345 » Mon, 27 Aug 2007 6:09 pm

WoofAndQuack wrote:
12345 wrote:
WoofAndQuack wrote: hey 12345, do you know wat contributes to failure in water confidence test?? i made it to WCT round. mine is on the 4th september coz i'm a guy. No tatoos/scars, i'm quite flabby but can look presentable when wearing shirt. actually, WCT is the round that I fear most,fear comes from my quite fat body shape. it helps when u say the highest go thru but i'm afraid i will fall under the few dat don't.

my 1st round only 3 out of 10. lucky for guys, no skin check watsoever!
Hey WoofAndQuack,

Well, i guess the obvious reason would be a lack of confidence while jumping and also when u're in the water. Another aspect would be tattoos but since u're cleared from that, u shud do well. I'm not too sure if they do look at body shape for the guys...but i think height would be another factor. Coz they will re-measure u after the WCT, n prob would eliminate those who struggle to reach the min requirement.

Dun worry too much about ur body shape. I'm sure as long as u're not very flabby...it's still acceptable to them. Nothing is certain in SIA i would say. During my time, there was a guy with TATTOOS who managed to clear WCT n he's undergoing training now! Sooo...just pray for the best n i'm sure u'll do fine. All d best!

Oh btw, wat was the question posted to u during ur grp interview? :)
oh ok thanxx then. i know they ask us to bring our swimming gear but i just got info from somebody quite high ranking in SIA that we will be given OVERALLS and life vest. Does dat means guys dun have to go topless?? and for girls, do they have to jump in the kebaya? like in the video they showed in the waiting room?
btw, my first round Q's:
introduction & tell us more abt urself.
3 out of 10 made it
Overalls??? Hmm...not too sure wat is it they are referring to. But as far as i know, the guys would go topless during WCT. Then it's either they wear briefs or board shorts. There were lifevests but that was bout it. Prob they kinda changed the procedures now...hehe.

NO!!! The gurls dun jump in the kebaya...haha! Prob during training but not during WCT. They would also go in swimming suit.

Oh, i read from another post where it was mentioned they guys were asked to go for face check! Did u get it?

Chatter
Chatter

Post by 12345 » Mon, 27 Aug 2007 6:13 pm

downtown wrote:all of us get different questions in 1st round...i am so unlucky :mad: ..my one is so difficult...which do you think is important..fame or fortune.. :o :o :o compare to last time 8 out of 10 make it now 2 out of 10 :( i admit most girls spoke as okay as during my 2nd attempt but they still didn't get it :? ...i think they had choosen the better ones on saturday
Wow...dats really a difficult one to tackle. It's so open-ended, which requires the candidate to think rite on the spot and at the same time formulate the structure of the sentences, flow etc etc. Did anybody answer neither one is important? Or anyone say both are equally important as they go hand in hand?

downtown
Chatter
Chatter

Post by downtown » Mon, 27 Aug 2007 6:53 pm

they copy one another during the first round...to our dismay, those with their own perfect answers get in..i must tell you, if the first person get the wrong answer of their own, those who follow blindly will end up in eliminated :( .. how you present your answer is very important..you need to know everything...afterall, they select people who can help other passengers to solve problems in the air :)

Chatter
Chatter

Post by 12345 » Mon, 27 Aug 2007 7:14 pm

downtown wrote:they copy one another during the first round...to our dismay, those with their own perfect answers get in..i must tell you, if the first person get the wrong answer of their own, those who follow blindly will end up in eliminated :( .. how you present your answer is very important..you need to know everything...afterall, they select people who can help other passengers to solve problems in the air :)
So wat was the perfect answer that they gave?