Singapore Expats

Single, Relocating to Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Kate821

Post by Kate821 » Fri, 03 Aug 2007 5:13 pm

I've seen a lot of good advice from this website for people moving to Singapore with kids. I am single, planning to move to Singapore by the end of this year and will have a budget of less than S$2,000 for housing. I browsed a few rental sites and a lot of places seem to be expensive and have more rooms than I need. Are one-bedroom appartments rare in Singapore? How much do I need to budget for them?

Thanks for your thoughts.

jtotlani

Post by jtotlani » Sat, 04 Aug 2007 1:40 am

hey..... I am in exact same position as yours Kate. I will be moving to sing.. by the end of month... any suggestions on one bedroom condos for$2k?

ukdesigner
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ukdesigner » Sat, 04 Aug 2007 4:00 am

I must admit I haven't seen alot of 1 bedroom condos advertised recently.

I only arrived recently myself and found finding a property quite hard. I am also single and would recommend sharing with others. Not only does it give you some instant company but an insight into local life.

From what i've seen and i may be wrong (so any experienced and wiser people may correct me) you don't a huge amount of change out of S$2000. If you are looking for expat areas (Holland village as an example), rentals there for sharing a condo range from about S$1000 ish upwards. I think S$1500 is probably nearer the mark.

I would advise checking out this sites classifieds, download the MRT map to give you an indication of locations and just keep watching the property prices. Property here is getting a little bit out of hand from what I hear (I haven't seen my evidence myself, but then again I've only been here 3 weeks) so it could well keep going up. Its a simple demand thing.

If you don't mind a condo slightly further out of the city then you'll probably pick one up or a share in a larger condo or even HDB. I think 80% of Singaporeans live in HDB's and they are larger but older than most condos.

I hope this helps and good hunting. I found research, research, research is the only way to go!!

ciaral

1 bedroom

Post by ciaral » Sun, 05 Aug 2007 1:16 am

Don't be so picky....... if you budget is low and tight....but do take in consideration for transportation budge.
:shock: :???: Cos the it can't eat up a big hole in to it and on top of that time is begin waste away; if you workin in the west but stay at the east north or away from the mrt line.

There s a say a person "Penny wise pound foolish", for will end up really miserable :mad: :x for the narrow mind set. :cool:

Happy coonsidering....
:wink:

Kate821

Post by Kate821 » Wed, 08 Aug 2007 1:51 pm

Thanks for the advice. I think that I will look for flat mates to share a place with - more economic and it'll be good to have company being new to SG! I will definitely use your MRT map idea - want to minimize walking time in heels :)

ching
Regular
Regular

Post by ching » Sat, 11 Aug 2007 6:54 pm

If you want to save some money, you can also look at places that are accessible via bus - which may not be within walking distance of the MRT.

When we last moved, we found many of the condos / apartments within walking distance of an MRT station commanded quite a premium compared to moving just a few blocks further away.

The bus system is pretty convenient too, so I rarely take the MRT these days.
Tips from expats living in Singapore - http://www.livinginsingapore.org

Jelly Bean

Post by Jelly Bean » Sun, 12 Aug 2007 3:27 pm

Sorry Kate, have to hijack your post for further info.

This is to Ching,
how do I find out which bus goes to my working place, say city hall while I am looking for a condo somewhere in the West? Is there a direct bus goes to CBD from West SG? Is there any website about the bus route in SG? Also do buses come on time in SG and are they crowded in rush hour?

Your advice is much appreciated. :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 12 Aug 2007 7:14 pm

Jelly Bean wrote:Sorry Kate, have to hijack your post for further info.

This is to Ching,
how do I find out which bus goes to my working place, say city hall while I am looking for a condo somewhere in the West? Is there a direct bus goes to CBD from West SG? Is there any website about the bus route in SG? Also do buses come on time in SG and are they crowded in rush hour?

Your advice is much appreciated. :D
Check the links under the heading "Car License / Ownership / Public Transport" in my signature link.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

headless

Post by headless » Sun, 12 Aug 2007 7:31 pm

I'm also single but I have 2 cats.. what kind of accommodation should I look for?

I'm currently in singapore as an exchange student and will graduate in Dec. I'm seriously considering staying here to work for 3 years. In that case, I will need a place to stay and I will bring my 2 cats from HK to here. Any suggestions??

besides, as a HK resident, i can apply for in-principle PR once I got my bachelor degree, will it be better for me to find a job than being an expat?? but does being a PR means that I've to contribute to the CPF scheme?

sorry for asking so many questions.. :???:

welshlass

Post by welshlass » Sun, 12 Aug 2007 9:26 pm

Rental has increased like crazy here, it took me 4 weeks to find a decent flat, not so many in supply at the moment, the first offer I put in- the landlord came back with +8% increase. I live near the MRT now- I cant rely so much on taxis here as I dont have the patience to wait +20min everytime. Buses- not sure, never been on one yet here.

changes

Post by changes » Sun, 12 Aug 2007 9:37 pm

[quote]
how do I find out which bus goes to my working place, say city hall while I am looking for a condo somewhere in the West? Is there a direct bus goes to CBD from West SG? [/quote]

I am not sure..where are you in west. However, there is a new bus service,532, from Clementi to Fullerton Rd (CBD) but not to city hall.
If you are going from west to city hall, I think..mrt is the best choice.

[quote] Also do buses come on time in SG and are they crowded in rush hour?[/quote]
As a passenger, i don;t think that the buses come on time in SG. I live in West and I go to work by bus. Two buses of the same service always arrive at the same time with one bus being overcrowded and the other almost empty. If I missed them, the next bus will arrive 15 to 20 mins later. Sometimes, the Bus Captain drive slowly.

Jelly Bean

Post by Jelly Bean » Mon, 13 Aug 2007 9:14 am

Thanks guys. The information is very helpful. Cheers!

babynurse

Post by babynurse » Sat, 18 Aug 2007 2:01 am

headless wrote:I'm also single but I have 2 cats.. what kind of accommodation should I look for?

I'm currently in singapore as an exchange student and will graduate in Dec. I'm seriously considering staying here to work for 3 years. In that case, I will need a place to stay and I will bring my 2 cats from HK to here. Any suggestions??

besides, as a HK resident, i can apply for in-principle PR once I got my bachelor degree, will it be better for me to find a job than being an expat?? but does being a PR means that I've to contribute to the CPF scheme?

sorry for asking so many questions.. :???:
hi

depending on ur budget u should look out for a two or 3 room flat and share it with frens if u have. when i was studying here i did that. now i m working so i could afford a better place and less people to share with. i didnt go thru any classifieds cos very time consuming ....i just got a good housing agent and he 'd find for us a good place....after many years i still stick to him when i need to find a better place

for pr u have to contribute cpf but when u give up ur pr u could withdraw them back...just a few days ago i checked with the cpf board that u need to give up ur pr first at the ica and then with that letter and ur passport go to cpf board and withdraw ur savings...just takes a few working days...thats what they have told me...its kinda like ur own savings so its a good thing when u go back u got some cash saved automatically

lilo11

Post by lilo11 » Sun, 02 Sep 2007 12:44 pm

hi, i'm single profession who is relocating to singapore. as the rental rates are relatively high, how can i find someone to share a place with me?
a private apartment cost more than 2k.

any ideas??

thanks

JaneDoe

Post by JaneDoe » Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:40 pm

If you can increase your budget a little, then you will be able to find a 1-BR apartment for around $2200-2500 in a good location. I just renewed my lease, but the agent said the availability of 1-BR flats are very limited these days.