Singapore Expats

French Manicure, what do people (guys) think?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
astrogirl
Regular
Regular

French Manicure, what do people (guys) think?

Post by astrogirl » Mon, 30 Jul 2007 6:24 pm

Hi all

I love French Manicures, it cost more then the regular manicures. I've been doing it for the past 10 years. I think it's very neat and classy. I just happen to ask my husband the other day and he told me he thought the white tip was weird, he thinks red nails are nice. I always have red toe nails. But since I like the French manicure, he's happy that I'm happy. Maybe my husband is just the China Man type?!?! :lol:

I'm just curious....How does the French manicure look wierd to guys, or girls (I think most girls like it)? Does any one have any comments to share?
astrogirl

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Post by seasider » Mon, 30 Jul 2007 9:35 pm

This girl (ok at my age I'm stretching the definition of girl a touch!) doesn't like them. I think they're a bit "Footballers' Wives" to be brutally honest.

Some people I know have short nails, slightly rounded not square (it's called squoval in the UK), with very thin white tips - they're not bad - but I don't like the long or absolutely square ones.

You said yourself you've been wearing them for ten years - maybe that's an indication that it's time for a change? I like my fingernails to be short, slightly rounded, and either clear or very pale.

astrogirl
Regular
Regular

Post by astrogirl » Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:54 pm

Hi seasider

I agree with you about the short nails and shaped slightly rounded. My fingers and nail plate (15mm) are fairly long so I never needed to keep long nails to compensate, at most my free edge is about 3mm beyond the fingers. At this time, it gets very uncomfortable, can't even type peoperly, I'll need to trim them to level with my fingers.
astrogirl

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Post by chixchix » Wed, 01 Aug 2007 3:19 pm

:) IT seems that the french manicure with the white tips are very traditional.Perhaps having 1 colour on the nail bed and another on the tips would look a bit funky.

However for myself I did it once and removed it the next day as it looked weird. Now I just prefer plain or very light colour, so even if the colour fades away,it wont look awful.
Always have a smile on that face!

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Asian_Geekette » Thu, 02 Aug 2007 5:14 pm

French manicure if done properly looks nice. I used to constantly indulge myself with it (French manicure after a foot spa/hand spa) a few years ago. But ever since I switched careers and moved into a technical field, I've kept my fingernails oval-squarish and unpainted. I don't grow it too long since I use the computer a lot of times.

Moreover, I used to like bright red nail polish too. I guess I just don't want to be too flashy at work right now so I haven't had red nails for quite sometime. :D
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

astrogirl
Regular
Regular

Post by astrogirl » Thu, 02 Aug 2007 11:56 pm

Thanks all for your comments!

Just shaing some thoughts here:

Sometime ago, there was this trend (I guess it may still be), nail art or stickers to stick on the coloured nails. It was like some design on the nails. I thought that was a bit much, especially on all 10 finger nails with all sorts of colours/designs that looked so busy!
astrogirl

chixchix
Editor
Editor

Post by chixchix » Fri, 03 Aug 2007 12:20 pm

i feel that if done on the toe or the thumb ..just 1 finger ,,it looks pleasant to the eye.
Always have a smile on that face!

Kate821

Post by Kate821 » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 2:30 pm

I love the clean look for french manicures, but my colleague has a great variation on the traditional look. She just got gel nails and like a french manicure, the detail/colour is only at the tips of the nails. On her nails, she got some light sparkles on the tips with tiny white flower detailing. It looks fun but elegant at the same time.

astrogirl
Regular
Regular

Post by astrogirl » Thu, 09 Aug 2007 9:42 pm

Hi kate821

I saw that type of french manicure, the tip is white with the rest of the nail with white flower details, that was nice. It was a reality program, and the bride had this type of french manicure.
astrogirl

GranSport

Post by GranSport » Mon, 05 May 2008 9:49 pm

btw. what's the deal with some guy's fingernails here? I have noticed
almost everyone seems not to pay a lot of attention to manicure, a lot
of guys do have 1inch fingernails, so what's the deal? Am I out of fashion?

I don't really care, just wondering......

cheers
GranSport

astrogirl
Regular
Regular

Post by astrogirl » Tue, 06 May 2008 12:19 pm

GranSport wrote:btw. what's the deal with some guy's fingernails here? I have noticed
almost everyone seems not to pay a lot of attention to manicure, a lot
of guys do have 1inch fingernails, so what's the deal? Am I out of fashion?

I don't really care, just wondering......

cheers
GranSport
It's about girls having french manicures, what do guys think about this, do they find it attractive?

We've been talking about nail art and stuff for girls. No one said anyone about guys/boys' fingernails!
astrogirl

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 06 May 2008 1:03 pm

I may be just opinionated, but I would have to agree with seasider about the footballer's wives but would have to add that in my travels, the people I notice with those hideous type of nails (my personal POV) most of the time are "ladies of the evening" or what most would call hookers, prostitutes or call girls. I get the same impression when I see women all dressed up and smoking cigarettes for some reason. :?

I prefer medium short semi-rounded with a very light translucent or just clear gloss unless there is red or black lingerie involved. Then a vivid red will due me just fine! :cool: :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

neilihsoy

Re: French Manicure, what do people (guys) think?

Post by neilihsoy » Tue, 06 May 2008 3:47 pm

you are cute. :)
I like french manicure,pedicure too. but I always do red or pink because
I always keep my nails short.
I think men don't recognize well. maybe your husband is a bit sensitive person? or he's caring&loving you a lot!

GranSport

Post by GranSport » Tue, 06 May 2008 5:14 pm

sorry, did not want to open a new thread that is why i classified my question as (btw)....anyway - french looks good.

so, should I open a new thread or can you give me a twoliner?

thx,
cheers
GranSport

astrogirl
Regular
Regular

Post by astrogirl » Tue, 06 May 2008 9:58 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I may be just opinionated, but I would have to agree with seasider about the footballer's wives but would have to add that in my travels, the people I notice with those hideous type of nails (my personal POV) most of the time are "ladies of the evening" or what most would call hookers, prostitutes or call girls. I get the same impression when I see women all dressed up and smoking cigarettes for some reason. :?

I prefer medium short semi-rounded with a very light translucent or just clear gloss unless there is red or black lingerie involved. Then a vivid red will due me just fine! :cool: :wink:

Is this what you mean by 'footballer's wives' french manicure?
I don't like this and I don't do this for my nails. FYI, this is fake nails also known as acrylic nails. It is quite impossible for natural nails to achieve this, stay this way in real life..... for more than a few days!
It also costs a lot to do (expensive, long hours, pain sometimes), to maintain and it ruins our natural nails in the long run. After a few rounds of this, the nails need rests periods, take months to get back to their natural healthy state or may cause some damage. Most friends have warned me never to get started with this! I don't even think it looks nice, whether it's french tips or red with crystal decorations.
Yah..ha..recalling those 80's movies 'ladies of the night' with long nails/fake nails painted red (no decoration). But acrylic nails (decorations and all) is only quite recently in the past 5 years affordable to most people.

My nails look like this......I can't keep them any longer. Most of the time my nails are shorter then this!
Last edited by astrogirl on Tue, 06 May 2008 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
astrogirl