Singapore Expats Forum

Any Canadian-Scots in Singapore?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
MC Donalds

Postby MC Donalds » Mon, 20 Aug 2007 8:59 am

MacD wrote:Hey MC Donalds, We share the same last name.

We stayed on the north end of Canada. the coldest we get here is -50 degrees celsius. This coming winter we are leaving it behind to enjoy the rainy season in Singapore instead. Hahaha!

OK, you qualify as a hang-around member :) I come from the North of Funland but since the weather there is a bit sissy, doesn't really go below -45, I opted to live by the sea to solve the heat problem by a refreshing wind from the sea. Nothing beats cycling by the sea in -35! Whenever I miss home, I go to East Coast Park, reminds me from home. Just have to imagine that the + is a - instead.

lost_canuck
Chatter
Chatter

Postby lost_canuck » Mon, 20 Aug 2007 5:34 pm

I am a Canadian \:D/ been here 7 months, found one other canadian

oh and my great grandmother on my dads side was scottish :D

MacD

Postby MacD » Mon, 20 Aug 2007 8:59 pm

Haha, I am a maritimer , I was born by the sea and I have to lived by the ocean. I stayed in the west by the Rocky mountain but my heart always yearn to see the sea. Just the smell of the salt water relive your spirit. I tend to do the same. When we are in Singapore, I either head down to Changi or the Sentosa to hang out and chill. See ya there sometime soon!

MC Donalds

Postby MC Donalds » Mon, 20 Aug 2007 9:11 pm

MacD wrote:Haha, I am a maritimer , I was born by the sea and I have to lived by the ocean. I stayed in the west by the Rocky mountain but my heart always yearn to see the sea. Just the smell of the salt water relive your spirit. I tend to do the same. When we are in Singapore, I either head down to Changi or the Sentosa to hang out and chill. See ya there sometime soon!

The smell of the local sea water works wonders on your soul -- let alone the stomach!

MacD

Postby MacD » Mon, 20 Aug 2007 9:13 pm

Don't get me started on the stomach! :)

MC Donalds

Postby MC Donalds » Mon, 20 Aug 2007 9:56 pm

MacD wrote:Don't get me started on the stomach! :)

Don't get me started on the Singaporean water! ;)

MacD

Postby MacD » Mon, 20 Aug 2007 10:04 pm

Hahhaaha....Do you fish? Singaporean water give me the shits! I was having stomach pain the first few weeks I was there. Once I was used to it, It was okay for me. Get to used to the beer they have there as well... There's few wash up jellyfish at Changi beach at some season too.

MC Donalds

Postby MC Donalds » Tue, 21 Aug 2007 8:55 am

MacD wrote:Hahhaaha....Do you fish? Singaporean water give me the shits! I was having stomach pain the first few weeks I was there. Once I was used to it, It was okay for me. Get to used to the beer they have there as well... There's few wash up jellyfish at Changi beach at some season too.

Yeah, I do fishing but not in Singapore. Been only to one fishing trip here and while the trip was well organized and great fun, there aren't really any useful waters around sg. Every place is either a land fill site or full of cargo ships and their service ships. To get to proper waters you have to leave the territorial waters of sg and that's when it becomes a bit too much of a hazzle. Besides, I prefer the smaller scale stuff where you just jump from your back yard into a little boat with an electric engine instead of cruising around in a huge gas guzzler fishing boat.

That tap water is all right, been drinking it for more than four years without any additional mutations. Takes a bit more than tap water to cause a significant deviation from the effects of Chernobyl ;)

Beer... no more Tiger, please, I prefer Aussies these days. Same goes with wine. And weekend escapes. And food. Would go with females too but given that they are more into camels, I am prepared to be a flexible and non-discriminating type of a guy!
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/08/ ... -Camel.php

peridot7

Postby peridot7 » Tue, 21 Aug 2007 2:41 pm

the article about the aussie is way too funny!!!! the world is crazy!!

MC Donalds

Postby MC Donalds » Tue, 21 Aug 2007 3:20 pm

peridot7 wrote:the article about the aussie is way too funny!!!! the world is crazy!!

In case you were wondering why the Aussie sheilas have to go for camels:
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2007/ ... 18754.html

peridot7

Postby peridot7 » Tue, 21 Aug 2007 9:56 pm

how did you find all this crazy stuff???

MacD

No Particular Place To Go

Postby MacD » Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:23 pm

The Camel aspect is noted, talk about inferiority issues LOL. is there any good pubs for a guy to sit down and enjoy a beer. I use to frequent Molly Malones. is there any new pubs or places of "interest" you'd suggest ?
Last edited by MacD on Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MC Donalds

Re: No Particular Place To Go

Postby MC Donalds » Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:34 pm

MacD wrote:
MC Donalds wrote:
MacD wrote:Hahhaaha....Do you fish? Singaporean water give me the shits! I was having stomach pain the first few weeks I was there. Once I was used to it, It was okay for me. Get to used to the beer they have there as well... There's few wash up jellyfish at Changi beach at some season too.

Yeah, I do fishing but not in Singapore. Been only to one fishing trip here and while the trip was well organized and great fun, there aren't really any useful waters around sg. Every place is either a land fill site or full of cargo ships and their service ships. To get to proper waters you have to leave the territorial waters of sg and that's when it becomes a bit too much of a hazzle. Besides, I prefer the smaller scale stuff where you just jump from your back yard into a little boat with an electric engine instead of cruising around in a huge gas guzzler fishing boat.

That tap water is all right, been drinking it for more than four years without any additional mutations. Takes a bit more than tap water to cause a significant deviation from the effects of Chernobyl ;)

Beer... no more Tiger, please, I prefer Aussies these days. Same goes with wine. And weekend escapes. And food. Would go with females too but given that they are more into camels, I am prepared to be a flexible and non-discriminating type of a guy!
http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/08/ ... -Camel.php

The Camel aspect is noted, talk about inferiority issues LOL. is there any good pubs for a guy to sit down and enjoy a beer. I use to frequent Molly Malones. is there any new pubs or places of "interest" you'd suggest ?

Tricky - I don't really go out that much. Too busy searching the newspapers for crazy stories ;)

Let me see... if I go out then it's usually... well... used to be Dubliner (Penang Road) quite often, and Insomnia (Chijmes) on Wednesdays. Now that you mention it, haven't really been anywhere for a long time! Hey, wait! There's the Scruffy Murphy's at ECP.

Better those who are better versed in the pub scene answer this one while I stick to the camel and water issues.

When will you be coming over?

MC Donalds

Postby MC Donalds » Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:38 pm

peridot7 wrote:how did you find all this crazy stuff???

Just going through my regular newspapers and suddenly there's nothing but crazy news around!

MacD

Re: No Particular Place To Go

Postby MacD » Tue, 21 Aug 2007 10:50 pm

Working out the details of my Entrepass, I forsee December if all goes according to plan... i don't want to spend another winter here shoveling the white crap.LOL We'll go out for a round of beer my treat and shoot the shit as they say.