Singapore Expats Forum

Benefits of owning citizenship

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Plavt

Postby Plavt » Tue, 31 Jul 2007 3:23 pm

riversandlakes wrote:Hmm, dual-citizenship. Does any Asian country (AU, NZ excluded hehe) allow this?

Might be worth mentioning, in most cases where it is allowed, dual-citizenship is difficult to acquire.

little_bold_bear

Postby little_bold_bear » Sat, 04 Aug 2007 7:40 pm

Might be worth mentioning, in most cases where it is allowed, dual-citizenship is difficult to acquire.[/quote]

True. Some countries may recognize dual citizenship arising from jus sanguinis (by blood), but rarely in conjunction with jus loci. And if you naturalize, no Asian country will allow you to retain your old citizenship. I have dual citizenship since birth, and still do ( I simply refused to take any pledge of allegiance, ha ha). I'm not going to become a Singaporean citizen because it will require me to give up 2 passports, but getting a PR seems okay.

lchk

Postby lchk » Mon, 06 Aug 2007 12:33 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Good Morning SE.

Dual-Citizenship? In your case it would need to be changed to Multi-Citizenship wouldn't it? :lol:

But Yeah. That's always been my reality check. Quarter of a century here but I'm not giving up the Blue Passport for a single red one.

I believe your case is very much the norm rather than the exception.

I am a Malaysian and despite the proximity and cultural similarities, most Malaysians that I know of who have taken up Singapore PRs do not opt for Singapore citizenships despite lengthy stays in the country.

renter
Chatter
Chatter

Postby renter » Mon, 06 Aug 2007 2:42 pm

lchk wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Good Morning SE.

Dual-Citizenship? In your case it would need to be changed to Multi-Citizenship wouldn't it? :lol:

But Yeah. That's always been my reality check. Quarter of a century here but I'm not giving up the Blue Passport for a single red one.

I believe your case is very much the norm rather than the exception.

I am a Malaysian and despite the proximity and cultural similarities, most Malaysians that I know of who have taken up Singapore PRs do not opt for Singapore citizenships despite lengthy stays in the country.

I don't see the point of acquiring the citizenship for Malaysians. Malaysian passport is fairly flexible and having a SPR, u have the best of both countries.