Singapore Expats Forum

Wax on, Wax Off: Dave's Wax for Charity 2007

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!

Wax on, Wax Off: Dave's Wax for Charity 2007

Postby dleach » Thu, 26 Jul 2007 2:39 pm

Your Pleasure, My Pain

Hi there,

This got deleted for some reason, so I'm reposting. If it got deleted because it's an "Advertisement" then the mind boggles. It's a charity event, and all I'm doing is inviting people to come down and have a drink and a laugh. Sheesh.

Not long now until the big wax off, and I can tell you... I’m getting very nervous!!

So far we have managed to raise just over $USD4,500. With Standard Chartered generously matching every dollar raised, we’ve already saved the sight of over 300 people!

Come down to Bungy Bar on Sunday where you can donate and see what your donating for!

Okay, let’s rewind a bit. In case you have been hiding under a rock, this Sunday I am going to prove that I’m a few slices short of a loaf by getting a full body wax for charity and the entertainment of my friends. It all started out as a bit of banter between me and some of my rugby mates on how follicly abundant I am (read: yeti!!). A bang on the head and a few beers later and I've agreed to the wax and a "Phil Greening" haircut, all in the name of charity!

It has been an interesting couple of months. Random people I don’t even know have been walking up to me and saying things like ‘Oh, you’re that idiot who’s getting his body waxed for charity... you’re crazy!’ Numerous people have offered me tips on how to minimize the pain, or told me horror stories of ripped flesh, in-grown hairs, and even surgery, all due to waxing!

Meanwhile, the preparations for the hairy event have all come together. After some searching for a waxing salon brave enough to take on my hair, and in public no less, Thomas D’Esthetique has come to the rescue and I will be in Thomas’s capable hands on Sunday. Thanks for your support, Thomas!

Who knows, once you’ve seen the results and my smooth, adonis-like body, you may be tempted to get some work done yourself!!

Okay, so for those who want to watch my public debasement whilst enjoying the Singapore sunshine, the time and date are as below:

When: THIS SUNDAY 29 July 2007, from 2pm
Where: Bungy Bar, Clarke Quay

On a more serious note, I'm going to bear the pain, spill blood and probably tears; usually for nothing more than the entertainment of my friends. However that's not what this is about.

This is in aid of a charity called Seeing is Believing; working in collaboration with SightSavers International to restore the sight of over one million people over the next three years with flagship projects across the globe. There are 37 million people who are blind in the world, but the real tragedy is that three quarters of this blindness could be prevented or cured simply and cheaply. So while I lose my hair on Sunday 29th, hopefully you will be restoring the eyesight of someone you have never met.

So, the waxer is primed, the bar is well stocked, and everyone is ready to have a cracking afternoon at Dave’s expense. Come on down, rain, hail, or shine, as it’s going to be a great afternoon!

Thank you again to everyone for your support and generosity! All I can say is that either you’re all very supportive of Seeing is Believing, or you really want to see me suffer!

no way!

Postby Feebstarr » Thu, 26 Jul 2007 5:31 pm

:o really??? wow man, that's really brave!

normally these ribbings between friends that end in a dare or two are laughed at and then quickly forgotten about.... you seem to be going the extra mile to not only see it through but also make it a 'live' event and raise money so people can see again.... that's so cool!

well good for you i say and best of luck for sunday... i may just come down to see what the 'fuzz' is all about! (hahahaha). partaking in a few tasty beverages of choice before the event then?

i'll look out for the really hairy but extremely pale fella at the bar then.... :D

Postby Snowfly » Sat, 28 Jul 2007 10:12 pm

Hahahahahha! Well I'm certainly intrigued,so i'll try to make it down... will we be able to make donations at the venue?