Singapore Expats

anybody knows KUMON? good to improve my son's English?

Discuss the various enrichment courses that interests your child. It can be tuition classes to robotics courses.
smilelisa

anybody knows KUMON? good to improve my son's English?

Post by smilelisa » Thu, 26 Jul 2007 2:11 pm

My Aussie hubby is relocated from China to Singapore under very short notice--we'll be there next month!
We have a 10-year-old son, Chinese boy and studying in China, just finished year 4. We don't think his English can keep up with year 5 in Singapore, but the other subjects probably OK--if he can understand!
So I'm very confused--whether I should enrol him into a normal International School or a special training course or home schooling for a while and then a local / international school, or this KUMON--is it good?
BTW, I'm Chinese but got a master's degree in Australia. And I'm not confident enough to teach him English by myself.
I appreciate any feedback!
smilelisa

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Thu, 26 Jul 2007 2:53 pm

Kumon is an extra tutoring program that kids go to after school, not a replacement for it.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

smilelisa

Post by smilelisa » Thu, 26 Jul 2007 4:27 pm

Thanks!
I'm thinking enrol him into an International School and Kumon....
How are the local schools? I checked some and they all said no vacancis? Is it difficult to get in? As a Chinese boy, he should mix very well with the locals.....I'm quite happy about it....if he can get in.
smilelisa

purple_shaw

Post by purple_shaw » Thu, 26 Jul 2007 10:26 pm

smilelisa wrote:Thanks!
I'm thinking enrol him into an International School and Kumon....
How are the local schools? I checked some and they all said no vacancis? Is it difficult to get in? As a Chinese boy, he should mix very well with the locals.....I'm quite happy about it....if he can get in.
hi, i will move to singapore from shanghai next month.
my situation is little bit different.
i enroll my girl to chartsworth int'l . and will move her to local primary school in the future .
u can find offical information here:
http://www.moe.gov.sg/
normally, school will downgrade ur boy to lower level if he study in china local school.

smilelisa

Post by smilelisa » Fri, 27 Jul 2007 10:32 am

Thanks, Purple... Did you visit the campus? My hubby and I are going to Singapore tomorrow--just a investigation. We don't know it at all!
I might do the same thing for my boy--international first and local later. I don't mind downgrade--he's the youngest child in his class anyway--only 9 but finished year 4.
Which area did you decide to live in? We need sort that out tooooo....we r thinking about Holland or east coast.
smilelisa

purple_shaw

Post by purple_shaw » Fri, 27 Jul 2007 2:46 pm

we will be in east coast area.

i believe there will be long waiting list for int'l school too.

do u have msn? if yes, add me : [email protected]

:D

sleek

Post by sleek » Mon, 30 Jul 2007 9:08 am

I worked at a Kumon before and personally do not feel that it is a suitable enrichment program for English. They use the same system as with their Math program whereby the children are expected to memorise and rote learn which is not suitable for language learning at all! Do consider english lessons at Lorna whinston or British council instead.

smilelisa

Post by smilelisa » Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:31 am

Hi, Purple, I have added into my MSN contact. We had a quick visit to Sinapore during the weekend. And we decided to live in the east coast too. I also want to enrol him into Chatsworth. Talk to you later in MSN.
smilelisa

nancyx

Post by nancyx » Thu, 01 May 2008 10:27 am

I don't know whether Kumon is good, for we haven't tried it before. But I strongly recommend Beestar.org.
http://www.beestar.org/index.jsp
It is a website full of free math practice, English programs, social studies and Gifted & Talented programs. My little Emma started school last year, but she really hated the boring math. Then her teacher recommended Beestar to us. She began to like doing the weekly math practice, because there are interesting stories and vivid pictures for kids. She also likes checking the honor roll every week, and she is so happy when her name appears. Registering as parent, I can receive the Email from beestar every week to notice me how Emma was doing in beestar. I am considering registering other programs for her.

durain
Director
Director

Post by durain » Thu, 01 May 2008 4:55 pm

this thread is nearly 1 year ago. i think the OP's kid got a PhD by now. :P

jazzle

Post by jazzle » Mon, 03 Sep 2012 5:05 pm

I think kumon instils more than just rote learning. It teaches independent learning and trains on a child.s level of concentration- something very lacking in kids these days

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Re: anybody knows KUMON? good to improve my son's English?

Post by abbby » Wed, 16 Sep 2020 5:37 pm

I can Read program is excellent and effective...
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)