Singapore Expats Forum

Second Life :: Virtual world conference in Singapore

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
carbonel

Second Life :: Virtual world conference in Singapore

Postby carbonel » Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:58 am

Hi,

I noticed that a previous forum member mentioned their interest in Second Life. Coincidentally, I was just logging on to spread the news about an event (not a for-profit venture) that will happen in Singapore next month.

State of Play V: Building the Global Metaverse is the fifth annual State of Play conference on the future of virtual worlds. Organized by New York Law School in conjunction with Trinity University, with the support of Harvard Law School, Yale Law School, and Nanyang Technological University in Singapore, this year's conference invites experts across disciplines to discuss the transnational dimensions of the metaverse and the impact of virtual environments on education, law, politics, and society. The event will be held from August 19-22, 2007.

This interdisciplinary conversation about the future of the global metaverse will feature experts from around the world speaking about:

* cross cultural communication and avatar-to-avatar diplomacy
* strategies for understanding behaviors and values of virtual world residents
* regulating speech, property, and addiction in the metaverse
* building transnational businesses in virtual worlds
* using virtual environments to teach students of all ages
* space, place, and virtual world cultures

The event also features two new documentaries about how global virtual worlds intersect with real-world economies and social structures: Gold Farmers (2007) and Ideal World (2007). On Wednesday, August 22, the conference features half-day workshops on topics including the use of virtual environments to transform global business, educational applications of virtual worlds, and managing virtual identities.

For conference schedule and registration, visit:

http://www.nyls.edu/stateofplay/

If you have any questions about the event, I am one of the co-chairs and would be happy to field any of your questions. You can reach me at: adelwich@trinity.edu