Singapore Expats Forum

Age limit for National Service as a PR

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
AE Logistics - Movers & Storage

jpatokal

Re: PR application during study

Postby jpatokal » Sun, 01 Nov 2009 11:59 pm

smaung wrote:I'm now holding the student pass ( foreigner ) and studying at one of the polytechnics in singapore. I'm a 2nd year student. I got a letter from ICA to apply the PR. It is stated that if I get the PR during study I need to serve NS for 2 years. Isn't it 1st generation? I'm not getting it from family ties or technical or job. So do I need to serve NS or can it be exempted as it is 1st generation.

If you really have no connection at all to Singapore, then that sounds very strange. Are your parents PR?
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

smaung

Postby smaung » Mon, 02 Nov 2009 12:16 am

Hello jpatokal, thank you for your reply.

My parents are not PR and they are not in Singapore. Yes it is strange that they offer PR to almost all the international students at the same batch with me. Normally, foreigners who study in Polytechnics get their PR offer just before graduation and have to apply with a job. Then they are first generation and don't need to serve NS.

For my case, where can I get the informations and what if I reject this time? Will there be less chance if I apply PR after poly if I reject this time?

Thanks

econoMIC
Chatter
Chatter

Postby econoMIC » Mon, 02 Nov 2009 4:00 pm

Hi Smaung,

this is bizarre and yet unheard of. From my knowledge this was not the case before, however I only know this from friends who graduated at NUS and SMU, not Poly. How old are you? As you are younger than a university graduate one might think it is due to age as well. This is the first time we hear about this I think. All this guessing doesn't help you though. Hence I would suggest you contact ICA (or whoever issued your invitation) and get to the bottom of it. I think from what you say the crucial question is whether you can still take up PR after you finished studying. Then it might not apply as you said "if you take up PR while studying". Maybe this is also because as a PR your student fees will be less, no?
a.k.a. littlegreenman

SUN_1100

Re: Age limit for National Service as a PR

Postby SUN_1100 » Mon, 27 Feb 2017 11:19 am

Hi,

My husband just got the PR via spouse sponsor scheme.
He is currently staying in SG but work in JB, Malaysia.

Under NS-Liable Scheme, he is required to serve NS.
But how true is this? We are very worrying this as he need to secure his job to feed the kids.

He is currently age 32. Anyone face the same situation before?

PNGMK
Director
Director

Postby PNGMK » Mon, 27 Feb 2017 11:37 am

SUN_1100 wrote:Hi,

My husband just got the PR via spouse sponsor scheme.
He is currently staying in SG but work in JB, Malaysia.

Under NS-Liable Scheme, he is required to serve NS.
But how true is this? We are very worrying this as he need to secure his job to feed the kids.

He is currently age 32. Anyone face the same situation before?

No - he while be given an exemption when he reports to CMPB. No 1st generation PR do NS. only second gen such as your sons.
I have gay, black, Asian friends and then JR8.

devancourse

Postby devancourse » Sun, 26 Mar 2017 7:35 pm

Hi,

I am 30 yrs old, 1st-gen PR living in Singapore for almost 10 years. I am currently in the process of converting to Singapore Citizen. I would like to know whether I will have to serve NS under such condition?

Thanks

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: RE: Re: Age limit for National Service as a PR

Postby ecureilx » Sun, 26 Mar 2017 11:05 pm

devancourse wrote:Hi,

I am 30 yrs old, 1st-gen PR living in Singapore for almost 10 years. I am currently in the process of converting to Singapore Citizen. I would like to know whether I will have to serve NS under such condition?

Thanks

No. If you obtained PR on your own.

But out of curiosity, if you have to serve, what would you do ?