Singapore Expats

Age limit for National Service as a PR

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
misspeace

Help me to advise

Post by misspeace » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:42 am

Hi all,

I and my hubby just recieved the PR approval letter and it is saying 'my husband may be liable for NS full time'. He is just 23 years old, dependent pass holder and trying for job currently. we don't want to go NS. How can we do?

thanks.

Saint
Director
Director

Re: Help me to advise

Post by Saint » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:52 am

misspeace wrote:Hi all,

I and my hubby just recieved the PR approval letter and it is saying 'my husband may be liable for NS full time'. He is just 23 years old, dependent pass holder and trying for job currently. we don't want to go NS. How can we do?

thanks.
On what grounds did he apply for PR?

misspeace

Post by misspeace » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 12:00 pm

we did it because 1).job hunting is quite difficult for dependent pass holder 2).PR is now basic requirements for jobs 3). we want to settle down here.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 12:06 pm

misspeace wrote:we did it because 1).job hunting is quite difficult for dependent pass holder 2).PR is now basic requirements for jobs 3). we want to settle down here.
What i mean was, did he apply for PR under Spouse/family ties or Professional/Technical scheme?

I'm guessing as he's not working it must be because you are either Singaporean or a PR?

misspeace

Post by misspeace » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 12:08 pm

No. I'm EP holder and he applied for PR under Spouse.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 12:50 pm

I'm afraid he cannot apply for PR under Spouse if the spouse is only an EP holder. He may have applied under the technical scheme but unless you are a Singaporean or a PR in you own right he couldn't apply based on your residency as your are not a resident but an EP holder.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

misspeace

Post by misspeace » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 12:58 pm

oh! No. sundaymorningstaple

we already got the approval letter of PR last week. In the approval letter, 'Your husband may be liable for full time NS when he becomes a PR'. We haven't gone to ICA for necessary processing.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 1:02 pm

So does what is your immigration status? As it doesn't make sense if you are an EP holder. Does he have other family here?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 1:15 pm

I'm glad I'm not the only one finding it hard to comphrehend SMS!

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 1:15 pm

misspeace wrote:oh! No. sundaymorningstaple

we already got the approval letter of PR last week. In the approval letter, 'Your husband may be liable for full time NS when he becomes a PR'. We haven't gone to ICA for necessary processing.
Are you also becoming PR at the same time?

misspeace

Post by misspeace » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 1:18 pm

yes. I am becoming PR at the same time.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 1:20 pm

misspeace wrote:yes. I am becoming PR at the same time.
In that case he'll have to do NS I'm afraid

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 1:20 pm

#-o

Why didn't she say that in the beginning! :roll:

misspeace

Post by misspeace » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 1:39 pm

Apology for all. This is first time I write in Forum. And worrying so much and makes me disorder to explain.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 1:49 pm

As your husband would have been granted PR through you becoming PR he is liable for NS, especially as he's under 25.

This is what a fellow member has just found out having just been through the same process
littlegreenman wrote:Okay, from what I was told males that get PR through their wives do not need to do NS if they are over 25. What in reality happens is that you don't have to do NS because you contribute more to society if you work and pay taxes however MOD still wants your details so they have a record of you in order to be able to put a gun in your hand and send you back to defend your flat in case of war. So you can theoretically get called up if there is a serious threat of war but usually if you are over 25 you don't have to do NS. This is what I was told by ICA staff after they confirmed with MoD staff. The MOD letter should be sent to my in laws within three months, I will let you guys know once I received it.