Singapore Expats

Age limit for National Service as a PR

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
strangebuttrue

Age limit for National Service as a PR

Post by strangebuttrue » Wed, 25 Jul 2007 6:19 pm

My wife and I have just been approved for PR. The approval letter points out that I will be liable for National Service, I assume this is because I am on a Dependent Pass and am therefore not exempt.

However, I am 43 and guess that being over 40, there is no way I will have to satisfy any National Service requirement (I hope not for the sake of Singapore's security :) ).

Can anyone advise?

Thanks

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Wed, 25 Jul 2007 6:25 pm

In practice if you are first generation PR, you don't need to serve.

You will still receive a letter requiring you to register online for national service. Once you do, you get an instant notification confirming you don't need to serve.

This was my experience applying for PR through marriage. Oh, and I'm in my early 30's.

strangebuttrue

Post by strangebuttrue » Wed, 25 Jul 2007 6:42 pm

Thanks for the quick reply, and for the reply I was hoping to get....

riversandlakes
Reporter
Reporter

Post by riversandlakes » Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:00 pm

didn't register, but got a letter that i am exempted...
Goatboy will always cherish his former goatgirl.
But the world is full of fluffier ones.

lizzy78

NS4PR

Post by lizzy78 » Thu, 29 May 2008 10:31 am

Hi, my husband obtained his PR last Dec via the sporean spouse 'scheme'. He just received a notification to register for NS!!! We are worried and devastated because he needs to keep the job. CMPB said that he needs to register online but not necessarily have to serve NS. So, what's the real deal?

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Jeppo » Thu, 29 May 2008 10:41 am

I've never heard of anyone having to actually serve, but there are a number of us on the forum who had to register. Get him to go ahead and register, about half way through it should come up and say something like "Thank you for registering, your services are not needed at this time" or something like that, it's been 4 years since I did it so can't remember exactly.

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Fri, 30 May 2008 9:54 pm

Splatted wrote:In practice if you are first generation PR, you don't need to serve.
To be quite exact: if you're a first-generation PR and received your PR on your own merits, you do not need to serve, period. (Guaranteed by regulation.) If you're a first-generation PR through your spouse, you may need to serve in theory... but in practice it appears that nobody does.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

bolly

NS...

Post by bolly » Tue, 25 Aug 2009 2:25 pm

My parents are applying for their Singapore PR next year.
I'm 20 this year & I guess by the time I get my PR, i'll be around 22 or so. However, I'm consider as second generation singapore PR, right?

But if I've already past the age of NS (which means over 22 years old) & when I become SPR, do I still need to satisify any NS requirements???
Does second generation of PR still need to serve NS when he is over 20 years old?

Saint
Director
Director

Re: NS...

Post by Saint » Tue, 25 Aug 2009 2:58 pm

bolly wrote:My parents are applying for their Singapore PR next year.
I'm 20 this year & I guess by the time I get my PR, i'll be around 22 or so. However, I'm consider as second generation singapore PR, right?

But if I've already past the age of NS (which means over 22 years old) & when I become SPR, do I still need to satisify any NS requirements???
Does second generation of PR still need to serve NS when he is over 20 years old?
Yes, so better start training!

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Wed, 26 Aug 2009 11:09 am

What's your current visa status? Are you forced to take up SPR, or can you keep on staying in Sg without it?
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 26 Aug 2009 11:45 am

I think his problem may well be that he's here on a Dependent's Pass but that will expire with his Parent's receiving their PR. Then, theoretically he could stay here on a LTSVP but as he will have probably already reached his 21st birthday by then, he will, if not a full time student on a student's pass, have to go, as he'll have reached the age of majority. The only way he could stay then is on his own merits under the technical scheme or getting an employment pass under his own merits. This is the big conundrum that most children face when the parent decide to stay here regarding PR. If he takes up PR he will surely have to do his NS if he's already been here a number of years. Big brother will see to that. If he goes, where? The parents are living here. If they are going to take up PR at this late stage, I would assume they are not maintaining a domicile elsewhere, so it kind of puts him between a rock & a hard place.

Hopefully, he'll come back and give us a little more background info to help us to better understand his situation.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bolly

Post by bolly » Fri, 28 Aug 2009 3:14 pm

I'm currently with just Short visit Pass visa status & had applied for Studen Pass for one of the universities in sg.
I'm currenty over 18 & I thought once I get the PR when i m over 18 or past the age of NS when I become SPR, I will be given an 'Exemption Certificate' & don't need to serve for NS , isn't it??

Please HELP!!!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 29 Aug 2009 9:14 am

Past the age of NS is 40. If you are under the age of around 25 or so, as a second generation PR you will have to do PR.

Unless, of course, you get your PR based on the Skilled/Technical Scheme, then your are exempted, but without the relevant qualifications/experience/LPR that ain't gonna happen.

If you get your PR based on your Parents PR (Family Ties) you get hit with a double whammy as you eligible for PR either as a 1st or 2nd Gen PR, you are going to have to do NS. Thems the breaks.

sms
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

bolly

Post by bolly » Sat, 29 Aug 2009 3:54 pm

Ohhh NO!!! So as long as i m under 40 & I get the SPR, i still need to serve NS anyway...
btw, what is it exactly mean by "the Skilled/Technical Scheme" ?? Is it something similiar with applying for SPR with S-Pass while working in sg, is it?

Also, I'm getting my PR NOT based on your Parents PR (Family Ties), I'm getting it base on the university I'll be attending (public one), so in this case will I be eligible as a 1st or 2nd Gen PR??

Please Help Me,
Thanks.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 29 Aug 2009 4:25 pm

I think you will find that ICA will use whichever scheme they think you will best fit into. If your parents are here, even though you have a local degree and also apply under the Skilled/Technical Scheme, they reserve the right to place you in were they think you fit best. If you are fresh out of School you could possibly do a landed PR, but with PR parents already here, they will probably use the Family Ties and second gen method, that way they can get another body for NS. Don't worry, it's only 21 months. What are you afraid of? And the networks you form in NS are well worth the time if you plan on staying here in Singapore. Those ties are probably better than the university ties and the most intelligent & successful people here usually aren't local uni grads anyway. ;-) Those people went overseas to uni.