Singapore Expats

Age limit for National Service as a PR

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by littlegreenman » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 2:11 pm

There was a lot of confusion at ICA when I tried to get to the bottom of it. In the end it is straight forward:

The first thing your PR approval letter says is that they congratulate you on your PR being granted and they welcome you to the Singapore community. Further they are sure that you will contribute to the success of our nation.

Think about it that way: if your husband is 23 he still fits into NS well as he is young. Once you are approaching 30 you are old, they don't get much out of you serving and rather want you to work, pay tax AND start a family soon so you make sure there will be future generations to serve NS. If they would pull me in for NS I am much less likely to have children with my wife soon as the money ain't coming in. That is what it is all about: how do YOU best serve Singapore, not what can Singapore do for you. This is part of the responsibility that comes with being a PR and they clearly advise you before you complete it and become a PR.

Another thing to consider certainly is income and job: if you take someone out of work who earns over $4k a month and has a good job, that would sort of throw the couple's lives into misery. If the husband however is not working or a fresh grad or lowly qualified with a low salary in the first place it doesn't make much of a difference whether he does serve his NS or not.

misspeace

Post by misspeace » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 3:00 pm

Thanks, All. for your information.

another question...
can we give up PR without filing the final application?
They gave us the processing time 2 months.
After 2 months without processing, what will it become?
Any penalty or punishment or our current status?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 3:08 pm

I won't answer that one, LGM or Saint can if they'd like, but I'm sitting here sitting on my hands to keep from typing what I'd like to type....... :roll:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 3:11 pm

littlegreenman wrote:
Another thing to consider certainly is income and job: if you take someone out of work who earns over $4k a month and has a good job, that would sort of throw the couple's lives into misery. If the husband however is not working or a fresh grad or lowly qualified with a low salary in the first place it doesn't make much of a difference whether he does serve his NS or not.
Doesn't quite work like that as they would be able to claim MUP (make up pay) which is the difference between their civilian pay and NS pay.

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 3:19 pm

misspeace wrote:Thanks, All. for your information.

another question...
Singapore Government departments like ICA, MOM, have very long memories. Your husband will probably never get an EP approved in the future, when yours come up for renewal it could be rejected. I wouldn't even bother trying to apply for PR again say in 3 years time.

The ICA will know exactly why you've both decided not to take up PR!

bolly

Post by bolly » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 3:31 pm

I've a question...

My parents are applying for their SPR next year.
Being their son, will the ICA also send me the PR application after my parents got approve of SPR??

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 3:46 pm

Only if you ask for it or your parents apply for you.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by littlegreenman » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 4:42 pm

misspeace wrote:Thanks, All. for your information.

another question...
Saint pretty much said it. As I am a bit younger than SMS I can't help it but type:

You should have been aware that taking up PR doesn't only mean getting the best out of what Singapore has to offer but you will be a full member of society and with that bear the responsibilities that come with it. You should have been aware of this before you applied for PR.

In general (not focused at a specific person): honestly, it is appalling how many people apply for PR these days because they are afraid of being made redundant and then they do not want the duties that come with being a PR. I remember a couple of years ago all those EP holders were laughing at PRs because the PRs have to pay CPF and didn't take home as much cash at the end of the month. I would love to see a mandatory processing time for PR of 2 years on long term EPs that never bothered until now. I guarantee you that within 1.5 years when the economy picks up they would all cancel their applications again. :x

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by littlegreenman » Tue, 01 Sep 2009 4:50 pm

Saint wrote:
littlegreenman wrote:
Doesn't quite work like that as they would be able to claim MUP (make up pay) which is the difference between their civilian pay and NS pay.
Interesting, I thought that was only if you are called back for training/exercise, not during the 2 year NS itself.

Pls note though, NS.sg says:

NSman who is unemployed or is a student

NSman is not eligible to claim make-up pay, as he does not suffer any loss in civilian income during his period of NS training. He will be paid service pay.

Based on the information provided by the poster, the husband is currently looking for a job, ie. not in employment. Meaning he would not get make up pay. Still I think there is a logic in it though because if someone was earning $5k a month before that would be one of the most expensive NS men ever if he would be paid make up pay for 2 years.

bolly

Post by bolly » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 1:55 pm

What's "EP" stands for???

littlegreenman
Chatter
Chatter

Post by littlegreenman » Wed, 02 Sep 2009 2:01 pm

EP=Employment Pass

bolly

Post by bolly » Mon, 07 Sep 2009 4:44 pm

If I give up PR without filing the final application, what will it become?
Will It have any impact/effect on my Student Pass or Work Permit status in the future??

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 07 Sep 2009 5:48 pm

If it has never been issued, it shouldn't have any impact on anything. You will never have had PR. Therefore it becomes a null issue. The same thing goes with Landed PR (LPR) if you don't find a job in the 12 months allotted it doesn't make a difference if you find a job on an EP or WP or S pass.

wcs
Chatter
Chatter

Post by wcs » Fri, 11 Sep 2009 6:12 am

Just as an aside. 40 yo is the cut off for general enlistment. If you train as an officer the cut off is 50yo.

smaung

PR application during study

Post by smaung » Sun, 01 Nov 2009 2:05 am

Hello,

I'm now holding the student pass ( foreigner ) and studying at one of the polytechnics in singapore. I'm a 2nd year student. I got a letter from ICA to apply the PR. It is stated that if I get the PR during study I need to serve NS for 2 years. Isn't it 1st generation? I'm not getting it from family ties or technical or job. So do I need to serve NS or can it be exempted as it is 1st generation.

Thanks