Singapore Expats Forum

Young people/expats

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
A5tro

Young people/expats

Postby A5tro » Wed, 18 Jul 2007 5:34 pm

Hey everyone, I will be moving to Singapore from Australia with work in about 1-2 months (for a few years) and just wanted to get an idea of where the "younger crowd" go out or generally live. I don’t mean to sound ageist at all, I am more referring to "young at heart people" than age specifically, but I'm hoping to live in an area where there will be a few more people close my age and places to go and have a few drinks/meet people, I dont want to find myself stuck in a real family oriented district when I rent a place!

I’m 23 (male) and pretty much everyone I work with/will be working with are a fair bit older than me so I think they will be over the whole clubbing/big nights out scene (unless Singapore is really different to Australia in that regard!)

I’m really excited about moving there but a bit nervous about the "not knowing anyone" factor (as I’m sure all new arrivals are!).

Any suggestions would be welcome!

queenie-me
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Young people/expats

Postby queenie-me » Wed, 18 Jul 2007 5:44 pm

A5tro wrote:Hey everyone, I will be moving to Singapore from Australia with work in about 1-2 months (for a few years) and just wanted to get an idea of where the "younger crowd" go out or generally live. I don’t mean to sound ageist at all, I am more referring to "young at heart people" than age specifically, but I'm hoping to live in an area where there will be a few more people close my age and places to go and have a few drinks/meet people, I dont want to find myself stuck in a real family oriented district when I rent a place!

I’m 23 (male) and pretty much everyone I work with/will be working with are a fair bit older than me so I think they will be over the whole clubbing/big nights out scene (unless Singapore is really different to Australia in that regard!)

I’m really excited about moving there but a bit nervous about the "not knowing anyone" factor (as I’m sure all new arrivals are!).

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Hey,

welcome to singapore. you might want to join the Friday Night drinking club to meet "young at heart people" ;)

guruvishwanath
Chatter
Chatter

Postby guruvishwanath » Wed, 18 Jul 2007 5:46 pm

No fear. mate! Trust me when I say that you will have to worry about the fact that you may go clubbing everynight and reach office every morning bleary eyed. :-) I have been there and done that. :D As for people, Singapore is the easiest place to meet and know people. I met my best friend in a bar doing tequila shots and singing smoke on water. And this was my first evening in Singapore. And this was 11 years ago. :-) So come, enjoy, get to know the local cuisine, people, night life and work. You will find life will go swimmingly well.

A5tro

Postby A5tro » Wed, 18 Jul 2007 5:53 pm

Haha, thanks for the quick replies, they are putting my mind to rest already!

Cheers

Astro

astr
Regular
Regular

Postby astr » Wed, 18 Jul 2007 9:51 pm

ah... dont worry! its not so bad, ul b fine. :)

puneet
Regular
Regular

Postby puneet » Thu, 19 Jul 2007 12:49 am

looks like im the youngest among u lot haha , as always , im 19 only just
:P.Not much company in this forum for a 19yr old i guess haha

Kristii
Regular
Regular

Postby Kristii » Thu, 19 Jul 2007 9:41 am

Hey!!

Im 26 From Aus, Melbourne, and me and my partner live on the east coast - its a pretty family oriented area.... Maybe if you get something close to the city??

But in saying that - living on the east coast is great - we still go out and party a fair bit!!

Im going to FNDC for the first time this fri night - to meet some friends of my own instead of having to hang out with my partners friends all the time lol!!!

If your into the club scene then there is the Ministry of sound club here and heaps of places to go clubbing at - let me know when your here and we'll go out and paint the town red!!

Have no fear!!!! lol! :P
Maybe Singapore should be called the "Sunburnt Country" instead of Australia....
I seem to be getting more "sunburnt" here then i did back home lol!

A5tro

Postby A5tro » Fri, 20 Jul 2007 6:23 am

Sounds like a plan! I heard the east coast is pretty nice, lots of shops/beach/food so it will probably be a good place to start looking.

Thanks for your help!

germangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Postby germangirl » Fri, 20 Jul 2007 8:30 am

as Singapore isn't that big anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. East Coast is a nice place to live... more familiy oriented... but I feel quite comfy there :) and taxis are cheap to get into the city, rents are cheaper out there aswell... and everything is close in Singapore :) so don't worry, you'll be fine here !!!
we know what we are, but know not what we may be

amit_agrawal

east coast

Postby amit_agrawal » Fri, 20 Jul 2007 11:34 am

Last edited by amit_agrawal on Mon, 03 Nov 2008 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shazers
Regular
Regular

Postby Shazers » Sat, 21 Jul 2007 1:16 pm

Hey Mate,

Yup! Have no fear mate! Am from Sydney...moved here 2 years ago......if u need any assistance of any kind, just remember me and I will be there!!

Shazers
(the friendliest person in world) :D

Arizona

Postby Arizona » Sun, 22 Jul 2007 4:36 am

Oy!
Didn't know there were some east sideers or that many in this forum.

We should do an east side chillin' session,maybe at the rec centre or anwyhere East eh? Even a grill barbee session by the pool would be nice.

markhed
Regular
Regular

east coast

Postby markhed » Mon, 23 Jul 2007 3:28 pm

East coast here too. Would be up for something out or way. how about a few games of pool and some cold beers in BFD's?

Kristii
Regular
Regular

Postby Kristii » Mon, 23 Jul 2007 5:10 pm

Sounds kool to me!
Maybe Singapore should be called the "Sunburnt Country" instead of Australia....

I seem to be getting more "sunburnt" here then i did back home lol!

markhed
Regular
Regular

This week

Postby markhed » Tue, 24 Jul 2007 8:56 am

Great

Anyone else up for this? Shall we set a day/time?