Singapore Expats Forum

NYC expat

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
cocobernese

NYC expat

Postby cocobernese » Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:21 pm

Hi there,

Not really new in Singapore ( 6 months ) but I think it would be nice to start joining other fellow expats for night out!

I am a girl from NYC (30+) working in IB. Please tip me off where should I start!

Thanks

-Stephanie

CAT777
Regular
Regular

Postby CAT777 » Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:31 pm

Welcome to Singapore..

Srart from today...WNDC...lady's nite is coming ;-)
Or also join FNDC..expats from all the continents dowm there..

cheers
CAT

gatsby75

Postby gatsby75 » Wed, 18 Jul 2007 6:22 pm

hi stephanie

hope singapore has been treating u well .. there are a lot of gatherings here ,so based on your interests am sure u can join one of them.

i pmed you .. but i can see u cant reply as yet, as u need minimum 5 posts i think to be able to pm.

Cheers
G

singaporerat

Postby singaporerat » Wed, 18 Jul 2007 8:45 pm

Mets fan or Yankees fan?

cocobernese

Postby cocobernese » Wed, 18 Jul 2007 9:49 pm

Thanks Guys. So when I go to the gathering how can I identify you all? I mean, is it easy to spot you from the crowd?

Anyway I will try to make it this Friday. I am quite outgoing and love to talk to people from all walks of life. Any NYC expats here in the forum?

cheers

wow_bryguy

NYC Expat

Postby wow_bryguy » Thu, 19 Jul 2007 5:49 pm

Not NYC but NY State Expat (Upstate) here. Yes there is more than trees and cows there.... I've met a few expats from NYC here, NJ more specifically. Hope Singapore is treating you well.

germangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Postby germangirl » Thu, 19 Jul 2007 6:15 pm

Hey Steph,

usually we pm mobiles before a gathering :) makes it easier !!!
lived in NYState for a year, but almost 10 years ago..... but love NYC so much and miss it !!!
Have a great time in Singapore !!!! Its not that bad either :) but hoenstly, if I had the choice, I'd be back in NYC :D
we know what we are, but know not what we may be

amit_agrawal

other gatherings

Postby amit_agrawal » Fri, 20 Jul 2007 11:23 am

Hope singapore is treating u well

u can also join other n/w events like -ryze, xing.com. u cn find lot of people there to interact or hang ard..

It will be gr8 to knw u

chagoi

Outing

Postby chagoi » Fri, 20 Jul 2007 9:06 pm

Hi
Sometime i organise events and outings for people in this forum.if u would like to join,can always drop me a mail at i_live_in_sg@yahoo.com.sg :D

audiojunky
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Outing

Postby audiojunky » Fri, 20 Jul 2007 10:15 pm

chagoi wrote:Hi
Sometime i organise events and outings for people in this forum.if u would like to join,can always drop me a mail at i_live_in_sg@yahoo.com.sg :D

What kind of events?

remersonh

From NYC

Postby remersonh » Sat, 21 Jul 2007 3:59 am

Hey cocobernese,

I'm about to move to Singapore from NYC. Send me any advice you have for the first few months!

R

germangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Outing

Postby germangirl » Sat, 21 Jul 2007 10:24 am

chagoi wrote:Hi

after 4 posts only and joining date beginning of this month this is quite hard to believe..... so what kind of events have you organsied so far for the forum???

Asdracles
Reporter
Reporter

Why do you doubt it??

Postby Asdracles » Sat, 21 Jul 2007 1:06 pm

He can try to organize some events perhaps with other nickname!!

Upss, sorry, my english not so good. I mean, with a lot of different nicknames!! :D

germangirl
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Why do you doubt it??

Postby germangirl » Sat, 21 Jul 2007 1:52 pm

Asdracles wrote:He can try to organize some events perhaps with other nickname!!

Upss, sorry, my english not so good. I mean, with a lot of different nicknames!! :D

LOL :shock:

cocobernese

Postby cocobernese » Sun, 22 Jul 2007 12:11 pm

Hi thanks for all the postings... sorry I missed the Friday night out because I had to work till 11pm ( from 8am in the morning). Ya, life is no easier here than in NYC.

remersonh,
For new comers from NYC, I would advise being flexible on food and drink selection -the Singaporean local food is noodle based with lot of curries which I gave up 3 weeks into the country.

Western food are pretty much Italian , sandwitchs, burgers. If you go to hotel restauratns the drinks will bankrupty you - a glass of red or draft beer is 150% more. Drinking is not their culture here.

The air quality is good, temperature is tolerable after you get used to it. I travel a lot exploring other countries in the region which is more fun than staying local.

Which industry are you in? Professionally there are more challenges and adjustment to be made in emerging market as you might expect.

Anwyway, I am on a busienss trip again so hopefully I can join the expat events in two weeks when I come back. Folks please stay active and I can't wait to meet you there!!

-Stephanie