Singapore Expats Forum

Civil Service or NS? A question.

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Vendetta

Civil Service or NS? A question.

Postby Vendetta » Sat, 14 Jul 2007 12:55 am

New to forums therefore haven't found a topic on this.

I'm 15, got my IC very recently, and have lived in Singapore since the age of 3-4, long enough to know I will undoubtedly take part in NS. However, I have a British Passport, and I am a PR because of my parents. In recent months I've met some people who have began their NS, and some who have avoided it by applying for a green card and what not, I won't be doing that. Still they have told me that because I am not a Singapore Citizen, only a PR, I take a different course when it comes to NS, the first few months of boot camp, but then I begin Civil Service as in being a fireman. If anyone has done this please reply, getting a bit worried as I'm nearing my enlistment :D.

Cheers,
James

ksl
Governor
Governor

Re: Civil Service or NS? A question.

Postby ksl » Sat, 14 Jul 2007 3:55 am

Vendetta wrote:New to forums therefore haven't found a topic on this.

I'm 15, got my IC very recently, and have lived in Singapore since the age of 3-4, long enough to know I will undoubtedly take part in NS. However, I have a British Passport, and I am a PR because of my parents. In recent months I've met some people who have began their NS, and some who have avoided it by applying for a green card and what not, I won't be doing that. Still they have told me that because I am not a Singapore Citizen, only a PR, I take a different course when it comes to NS, the first few months of boot camp, but then I begin Civil Service as in being a fireman. If anyone has done this please reply, getting a bit worried as I'm nearing my enlistment :D.

Cheers,
James
Being British mate means you get the generals position, crikey what would Raffles think! He'd be turning in his grave if they make you a fireman :lol:

Besides its not a bad skill to know, comes in very handy at times, especially when the chip pan goes up in flames! Most women would throw water on it, and thats a big No NO! Makes it worse, just turn off the source of heat and cover it with a cloth!

Civil service or NS A question. Haven't got a clue! :-|

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 14 Jul 2007 9:38 am

When you do NS here, they can put you into any of the organizations under the purview of the Ministry of Home Affairs which includes the following:

Singapore Police Force
Singapore Civil Defence Force
Singapore Prison Service
Central Narcotics Bureau

Or the Ministry of Defense; e.g., Army, Navy, Air Force.

My son will be doing his sometime in the next 12 months (he's a Singapore citizen but has dual citizenship by birth)

Vendetta

Postby Vendetta » Mon, 16 Jul 2007 6:55 am

Well thank you for the responses, and yes Raffles would be a tad shocked ;).

But anyways, to the other response does this give me a choice as to what area of the NS I take part in? Or as you said it's their purview and they will decide what I do.

Cheers, James.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 16 Jul 2007 9:19 am

I believe you will find it's the latter. :(

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Postby local lad » Tue, 17 Jul 2007 7:04 pm

Its a surprise to know you are doing your NS. Most of the expats I know will put their kids back home before the age of 12, just to avoid doing NS.
SMS, may I know why you want your kid to go through NS? Just curious

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 Jul 2007 8:39 pm

local lad wrote:Its a surprise to know you are doing your NS. Most of the expats I know will put their kids back home before the age of 12, just to avoid doing NS.
SMS, may I know why you want your kid to go through NS? Just curious

PR, Kids & National Service

It's better than me going all over it again. As you are apparently a local (although you don't have a monopoly on myopia), I don't really expect you to understand. So I'm not going to waste my breath - if you have the time read the link in my linked post at your leisure (it will take you to another site famous for their myopic boardmanagers and local trolls).

sms