Singapore Expats Forum

Missing Baggage - DUB/HEATHROW/SING

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Lyndan

Missing Baggage - DUB/HEATHROW/SING

Postby Lyndan » Thu, 12 Jul 2007 11:31 am

HI All,

I flew last week Dublin - Heathrow - Singapore and somewhere along the line one of my bags went missing!

We had 5 bags in total, 2 to go on the plane and 3 to ship with excess baggage company. When checking in the Aer Lingus guy was trying to be nice and said sure stick on of the 3 bags on here and save yourself some money!! Of course its that bag that has gone missing!

So here I am day 7 - I've been calling Sing Airlines everyday and all they tell me is that there was a big delay in Heathrow because of the terriorist attacks and that Heathrow are working through the backlog but are not giving them any information. I called Ireland baggage handling and they said the bag is not there - Im going to call back and ask for some kind of proof that bag was sent to Heathrow just in case.

Today I called Sing Airlines and they said that from my flight mine is the only bag still missing...

Anyway has anyone any experience in this? Sing Airlines have given me a claim for to complete now that its been 7 days, Can I claim from the airline and from my travel insurance company?

Advice greatly appreciated,
Cheers

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Thu, 12 Jul 2007 9:48 pm

The company you checked in with -- presumably Aer Lingus -- is responsible and yes, they need to pay if they lost it, up to 1000 SDR (~1200 EUR) depending on what was in the bag. All you need as proof is your baggage chit and Changi/Sing Airlines's confirmation that the bag has not shown up.

http://www.eccdublin.ie/topics/air_travel.html
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Plavt
Director
Director

Postby Plavt » Fri, 13 Jul 2007 4:11 pm

I was watching the news last night and gather there is such a backlog of baggage at Heathrow and an insufficient number of baggage handlers, therefore British Airways is having a good deal of it put on planes and sent to Italy to be sorted. :o No surprise it's taking so long for people to get their belongings back. :(

PetiteTadpole

Me likewise

Postby PetiteTadpole » Fri, 31 Aug 2007 4:17 pm

We flew in from Paris via London Heathrow and landed in Sg on 27 August' 07. Our baggage got wedged somewhere... We lodged a report. And finalement, it arrived 4 days later. It was sent straight to the door step of my home but we had to top up some cash as there were some tax payment. FYI it was for a bottle of porto wine! What thrash is that...

Anyhow im all unwind coz it finally arrived! Not like in 2001 i lost 3 luggages (via canada) and never to see it ever again! Lucky this time

Have you got your baggages yet??

PT
PT

blueibmer

Postby blueibmer » Fri, 31 Aug 2007 5:25 pm

this is a longshot, but they can cross-check the bags with their top-of-the-line video surveillance on the hour of your check-in with singapore airlines or Aer Lingus if they haven't done so yet...