Singapore Expats Forum

Looking for a job as a British nanny

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

susie

Looking for a job as a British nanny

Postby susie » Thu, 02 Sep 2004 1:32 am

British Nanny looking for a position. excellent references and lots of experience.
Does anyone know if it's possible for me to find work or does everyone rely on maids?
susiecfisher@hotmail.com

Bubbs

Looking for a job as a British Nanny

Postby Bubbs » Sat, 04 Sep 2004 5:45 pm

Hi Suzie

UK expat here, now in UK. Used to live in Singapore for eight years. I'd say that the vast majority of families employ maids, usually Philippino or another nationality. Never British. Though, that's not to say that there would be no placement for you.

You could try to contact The British Council, they could give you some guidelines. Or maybe send your details to The Tanglin Club for inclusion in their magazine, ditto The Hollandse Club and The Cricket Club. All these clubs have large readerships. I am not sure if there would be a charge, most probably as you are not a member of said clubs.

Try the Straits Times. Online can. Again, there would be a charge. Also The Electric New Paper.......also online .........not sure of the website addy.

For website details of clubs I'd suggest Google and put in names, should do the trick.

I think that you maybe surprised at the different hours you maybe expected to keep as a nanny in Singapore as compared with Britiain. Many families are used to maids being oncall virtually 24 hours a day, and though of course, that is not your profession, I think it would be difficult to bridge the gap between your professional status and what, through long usage and familiarity, the local people have come to expect in their house employees.

Also in Britain nannies are usually provided with a car and a very good room and bathroom. Again, unless it was very unusual, I think a car would be a definite no no here, also rooms for maids are not always good here, and sometimes not even airconned.

Not trying to put you off, but it's best to know the status quo.
Good luck anyway.
Bubbs.