Singapore Expats Forum

Help! ~ What's wrong with my D drive?

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
koyuli
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 942
Joined: Sun, 24 Apr 2005

Help! ~ What's wrong with my D drive?

Postby koyuli » Tue, 10 Jul 2007 8:48 pm

...
Last edited by koyuli on Fri, 17 Apr 2009 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Tue, 10 Jul 2007 10:19 pm

you don't mention if the D drive is an external drive or if the C drive is partitioned, it would help!

koyuli
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 942
Joined: Sun, 24 Apr 2005

Postby koyuli » Tue, 10 Jul 2007 11:19 pm

...
Last edited by koyuli on Fri, 17 Apr 2009 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Wed, 11 Jul 2007 4:04 am

koyuli wrote:Hi ksl,

It is built-in, I suppose is a C drive partition?

Thanks!

ksl wrote:you don't mention if the D drive is an external drive or if the C drive is partitioned, it would help!


You can try to access it from the dos command promt, in accessories

from the dos promt C:\ write cd D:\ and see if you can see all the files by writing dir and press enter

If you can see all the files, don't panic, at the dos promt type cd C:\ to take you back to the main drive. try scanning the D drive with anti virus and spyware program, to see if it helps.

koyuli
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 942
Joined: Sun, 24 Apr 2005

Postby koyuli » Wed, 11 Jul 2007 9:33 am

...
Last edited by koyuli on Fri, 17 Apr 2009 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
guruvishwanath
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 227
Joined: Wed, 03 Aug 2005
Location: Braddell
Contact:

Postby guruvishwanath » Wed, 11 Jul 2007 11:38 am

Are you using Windows XP Professional or Home Edition.

Try this

When you are starting your computer, quickly press F8 a few times. It will show you a list of options. Select an option that says SAFE MODE.

Once there, go to command prompt (Start/Run command)
Run a CHKDSK D:. If it says cant find, then there are two possibilities.

1. Your D drive has been disabled (loose contact inside or something like that)
2. Your D drive is fried means you need to take the computer to a shop for any recovery.

One other thing you can check is, when you start your computer normally, look for CONTROL PANEL, ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS and COMPUTER MANAGEMENT. You will find something called Storage Manager.

Click on that and you should get a screen that looks like boxes (on the right side of the panel screen). It will show a list of all physical and logical drivers (including CD ROM/DVD drives). It will show status DRIVERNAME, SIZE and TYPE (FAT32 or NTFS). If it is disabled, it will show in a different colour or shade and state its disabled.

If you could do all this and report your findings, I can try and help you out.

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Wed, 11 Jul 2007 2:43 pm

koyuli wrote:Hi thanks,

I have tried on my other pc with internal D drive... (not the problematic one)

dos prompt > cd D :\

but it still show as first prompted > C:\DOcument and Settings\User Name



ksl wrote:
You can try to access it from the dos command promt, in accessories

from the dos promt C:\ write cd D:\ and see if you can see all the files by writing dir and press enter

If you can see all the files, don't panic, at the dos promt type cd C:\ to take you back to the main drive. try scanning the D drive with anti virus and spyware program, to see if it helps.
If you see this at the DOS promt

C:\DOcument and Settings\User Name

You must first write cd C:\ which will take your from the documents & settings folder to C:\ then write cd D:\ which takes you to D drive. Then write dir to list the files.

If your C:\ is ok, I doubt the D partition is damaged on the disk, more likely to be a corrupt registry, but you will be able to see the files in DOS

koyuli
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 942
Joined: Sun, 24 Apr 2005

Postby koyuli » Wed, 11 Jul 2007 5:16 pm

...
Last edited by koyuli on Fri, 17 Apr 2009 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 661
Joined: Wed, 04 Jan 2006

Postby bigfilsing » Thu, 12 Jul 2007 8:17 am

you should actually just type D:
so at the dos prompt C:\ ( just type) D:

"cd" is for change directory
for example "C:\ cd temp" would give you the "C:\temp" sub directory
"cd.." to go back up the directory tree

Good luck

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Fri, 13 Jul 2007 3:33 am

bigfilsing wrote:you should actually just type D:
so at the dos prompt C:\ ( just type) D:

"cd" is for change directory
for example "C:\ cd temp" would give you the "C:\temp" sub directory
"cd.." to go back up the directory tree

Good luck
:o :???: :)
Hi Guru and ksl,

My collegue took my pc for repair already on my offday (today) =)

Thanks so much for helping and lending your expertise!

Cheers!
Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:17 am: bigfilsing has not had his coffee at this time, I guess! :lol: The OP said when he gets to the dos promt it shows c:\documents and settings/user, so he/she needs the cd C:\ before C:\D: too late anyway! They've probably put in a new hard drive, transfered the data and sold his/her disk by now :lol:

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 661
Joined: Wed, 04 Jan 2006

Postby bigfilsing » Fri, 13 Jul 2007 7:55 pm

you were right about the coffee but wrong about the DOS. Sorry mate.
Try it !!!

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Fri, 13 Jul 2007 8:34 pm

bigfilsing wrote:you were right about the coffee but wrong about the DOS. Sorry mate.


Try it !!!
Tried it. You can only do C:\D: from the C:\ dos promt
Not from C:\ doucments and settings\user, that's why the person couldn't get to D partition you have to go up the ladder to C:\

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 661
Joined: Wed, 04 Jan 2006

Postby bigfilsing » Sat, 14 Jul 2007 2:17 am

All dos versions ( since CPM) accept a volume call from any point in a DOS tree. WITHOUT having to go back up the tree. OF course providing the call is a valid volume. So D: at any point in the C:/ architecture will get you to D:/ ( providing there is actually a D: partition)
The only issue i can see is if your partition isn't actually D: in the MBS but windoze calls it D: ( so you think it's valid when it's not)

If you insist KSL i'll post a screen video capture of me doing it

Heres a still to be going on with >> http://web.singnet.com.sg/~philm/dos.jpg

Now where's my coffee :D

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sat, 14 Jul 2007 2:59 am

bigfilsing wrote:All dos versions ( since CPM) accept a volume call from any point in a DOS tree. WITHOUT having to go back up the tree. OF course providing the call is a valid volume. So D: at any point in the C:/ architecture will get you to D:/ ( providing there is actually a D: partition)
The only issue i can see is if your partition isn't actually D: in the MBS but windoze calls it D: ( so you think it's valid when it's not)

If you insist KSL i'll post a screen video capture of me doing it

Heres a still to be going on with >> http://web.singnet.com.sg/~philm/dos.jpg

Now where's my coffee :D
No need, my mistake, eyesight problem and Chinese keyboard too, But i do recall MS-Dos couldn't do it, CPM came in later 90's i think, after MS-dos wiped it out, in the early stages. I've still got my old MS-Dos manual from 85. Your still up at 2.17 a.m 8-) Must be the coffee!

bigfilsing
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 661
Joined: Wed, 04 Jan 2006

Postby bigfilsing » Sat, 14 Jul 2007 8:43 am

Coffee and a load of American partners who can't get their head around the world's time difference :D
Ah CPM! them's was the days. I had to use a portable compaq that was the size of a sewing machine and weighed the same too. Mono Chrome amber screen. It took 3+ minutes to boot from it's massive 30 MEG hard disk. Type in a command and then go for coffee while it figured out what to do :D


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest