Singapore Expats

Beware of meeting weird people from the forum

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Beware of meeting weird people from the forum

Post by Pal » Wed, 27 Jun 2007 6:03 am

To all,

We had received complaints about PM harrassment and spamming about a particular user.

This user carries on and registers new accounts despite being banned over and over again.

Therefore, I hope people in the forum should be extra careful when meeting strangers whom you are suspicious about their intention.

Please PM me if you need more info.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

MblSH
Regular
Regular

Post by MblSH » Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:12 am

Can't you ban an ip? Or is he using public wi-fi?

jpatokal

Post by jpatokal » Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:46 pm

MblSH wrote:Can't you ban an ip? Or is he using public wi-fi?
Yes, we can ban IPs, but Singapore's ISP use dynamic ones so he may have a new one tomorrow...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

MblSH
Regular
Regular

Post by MblSH » Tue, 18 Sep 2007 12:11 am

Yes, dynamic ip's could be different, but in practice it's actually hard to get a new one; you should be offline for enough time to let your dhcp lease expire, and even then servers tend to cache this information and prefer to give you the old one. Try doing ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew if you're on windows - more likely than not you'll get the same ip back.

In addition to that, lots of people are using wi-fi routers here, and those stay online 24/7.

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Post by seasider » Tue, 18 Sep 2007 6:37 pm

Not feasible if they're using an ISP. You ban one person you want to ban, then find out you've banned more people you didn't want to ban.

Been there, done that :lol:

theodoros

shame

Post by theodoros » Sun, 30 Dec 2007 6:00 am

hasnt he got anything better to do;

shame....

ladyinred

Post by ladyinred » Mon, 18 Feb 2008 1:41 pm

thank you
Life is a circle

morton
Regular
Regular

Post by morton » Sun, 02 Mar 2008 11:26 am

My mother told me to beware of strangers.

Whaddya mean mum, stranger than me?
Divers just love going deep and getting wet (not to mention all that rubber!)

quincylin

Post by quincylin » Fri, 07 Mar 2008 11:07 pm

what do they pm about?

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 07 Mar 2008 11:53 pm

Warnings and bans, have been sent to this person, so the next step, should be to hand the information over to the police, it is normally an offence to transmit, obscene text, voice, and even pictures, by telecommunication networks.

There are many sick people in the world, and i know some of them too, I quite often, have said to them, they need mental evaluation, when it comes to the opposite sex, there behaviour they believe to be normal male behaviour....it is most certainly not!

The person i am refering too is not in Singapore, or on this forum, but i am not surprised, there are nutcases running around, and they should be handed over to the authorities.....

The acquaintance I know for over 25 years, in another Country, isn't even aware of his illness, He told me about sending obscene messages to an ex, he had not seen for 10 years, because she rejected his attempt, to strike up a friendship again, he couldn't handle it, and I can tell you, there were no feelings between these two at all.

I have suggested more than once to him, that he needs professional help, but he cannot accept that, he lays all the problems at the feet of women, for his own infidelities, I also know, he was a woman beater, because his ex women have told me...

To think this happend over 20 years ago, and today, I still have contact to him, and have seen the guy deteriorate, he has never had a relationship since 1986...he is just one sick mother, who is paranoid, that everyone is against him, even his work mates...

But I mean how do you help these types, they are just simmering volcano's, he falls out with me quite often, and is a recluse now, he just locks himself up....but is hate against women, back 20 years ago, is to an extreme, the deterioration is against all humans, today....all humans are pigs, in his eyes.

Sad really but what can one do, in the circumstance, the only alternative is to report people to the proper authorities, and let them track them down, Narcissism can be really a dangerous illness, if not treated.

dvj_cool

Post by dvj_cool » Wed, 13 Aug 2008 8:15 pm

will always be beware
lol :mad:

twentyseven

Post by twentyseven » Sun, 19 Oct 2008 3:16 am

i know it's tough but ask them to simmer down and drag your friend see a doctor quick. such issues can be solved in general, but if they are left to linger it's tough to be resolved by themselves.

the term vicious cycle is there for a good reason
Good to go

Svetlana Gusthof Urlaub

Post by Svetlana Gusthof Urlaub » Sun, 30 Nov 2008 8:25 pm

Thanks for the heads up...I didn't know about this.

koftorts

Wrong timings :)

Post by koftorts » Wed, 16 Sep 2009 10:15 pm

There goes my chance of finding friends on this forum !! I came across this place yesterday itself, and had posted a "search for friends" !!

The more I am knowing Singapore, the more I am getting a feeling that Singaporeans probably prefer Singaporeans to be their friends !!

There seems to be so much difference in cultures.., India is also a part of Asia itself.., but seems like a totally different world out there !

jpatokal

Re: Wrong timings :)

Post by jpatokal » Thu, 17 Sep 2009 12:01 pm

koftorts wrote:There goes my chance of finding friends on this forum !! I came across this place yesterday itself, and had posted a "search for friends" !!
The best way to meet people is to go to group events (see the forum set up for this), instead of taking your chances with the dating lottery and meeting random people one-on-one.
The more I am knowing Singapore, the more I am getting a feeling that Singaporeans probably prefer Singaporeans to be their friends !!
True dat -- most Singaporeans take the view that expats are fly-by-night types who won't be around for long, belong to a different social class, and don't really appreciate/understand the local culture, so going beyond a casual social acquaintance into "true friends" isn't easy.
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague