Singapore Expats Forum

PR looking for a job

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Manish

PR looking for a job

Postby Manish » Wed, 01 Sep 2004 11:14 am

Hi,

I am a singapore PR looking for a job as network/system administrator. I have mcp/ccna/ccsa & more than 5 yrs exp in IT. I am currently working in India. I had tried for a job early last year but was not successsful because of the economic situation. I am interested in trying again, but would like to know if it is advisable to leave my current job & come back to Singapore to try, since I have heard the situation is improving. How is the job market & pay scale for Network/sys admin now? What is the average waiting period to secure a job in my field.

I have been applying thru jobstreet / jobsdb but have not had any response. Is this because i am currently not in Singapore?

PhantomX

a longshot

Postby PhantomX » Wed, 01 Sep 2004 12:33 pm

the monster.coms of this world are inundated with similar cvs as yours
Its a needle in a haystack game.
This is not meant to discourage you but to fill u in on the realities
Its the luck of the draw
You'll be better off trying networking with frens who have contacts in Singapore. Thats how most of this works

joop
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PR looking for a job

Postby joop » Wed, 01 Sep 2004 11:58 pm

Manish wrote:Hi,

I am a singapore PR looking for a job as network/system administrator. I have mcp/ccna/ccsa & more than 5 yrs exp in IT. I am currently working in India. I had tried for a job early last year but was not successsful because of the economic situation. I am interested in trying again, but would like to know if it is advisable to leave my current job & come back to Singapore to try, since I have heard the situation is improving. How is the job market & pay scale for Network/sys admin now? What is the average waiting period to secure a job in my field.

I have been applying thru jobstreet / jobsdb but have not had any response. Is this because i am currently not in Singapore?

Better alternatives could be the Straits Times Classifieds with the most updated jobs available. The way your resume is presented is also depends on whether it can land you the interview. :idea:

Or you could register yourself with the headhunting firms.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

Manish

PR looking for a job

Postby Manish » Thu, 02 Sep 2004 11:40 am

I have also heard from people that today almost all of the jobs(in my field) in Singapore are targeted towards locals(chinese speaking) & those available for interview in Singapore,...... is this true?

Postby Guest » Fri, 03 Sep 2004 1:51 am

That's partly true with most jobs in Singapore, not just your field. Firms would definitely call people that are available in the country for an immediate interview.

PhantomX mentioned getting contacts through networking, that is a very brilliant and effective idea. People land in good jobs through this method.

Sign up with a head-hunting firm as well. It would be quite tough, coming here to start looking.