Singapore Expats Forum

Need legal advice

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

JohnM

Need legal advice

Postby JohnM » Sun, 17 Jun 2007 10:19 pm

Hi everyone;

Recently the details of a confidential salary package which i signed with an organization in 2003 were made public.

I am looking to seek a legal opinion of weather i can claim any form of compensation for this breach of confidentiality (which is specified in the contract).

If anyone can point me in the direction of a lawyer that specializes in contract law, especially with a view to employment law and who has dealt with these types of confidentiality issues (as well as non-payment of pre-agreed performance based payments) please post the name of lawyers here or email: johnmurray121@hotmail.com

Thanks

ashnd76

Postby ashnd76 » Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:02 am

well a good start would be the law society.

Then again, what have you suffered as a result of this disclosure of information?

Sure you could pursue under law of contract in terms of breach of terms but damages are usually covered under law of tort.

IS the disclosure done intentionally to bring down your reputation? Then there may be issues of libel (defamation) here.

Or it could be disclosed negligently, and as such there needs to be proven that there exists a duty of care, breach of that duty, causation and remoteness test.

It gets quite complex but if have not suffered any economic loss or physical injury, you might have difficulty in quantifying the damages.

A lawyer will go thru in details your employment contract, but in principle your employer have a duty of care to act in good faith towards its employee and can be found liable for breach of this duty.

JohnM

Postby JohnM » Wed, 20 Jun 2007 3:25 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have spoken with a lawyer and they are getting back to me.

jpatokal

Re: Need legal advice

Postby jpatokal » Sun, 24 Jun 2007 2:50 am

JohnM wrote:Recently the details of a confidential salary package which i signed with an organization in 2003 were made public.

I am looking to seek a legal opinion of weather i can claim any form of compensation for this breach of confidentiality (which is specified in the contract).

I'm sorry Mr. Durai, but I'm afraid you're out of luck :P

More seriously, unlike the above poster I don't see even Singapore's defamation-happy courts awarding damages for libel if the information in question (that is, your salary) is true. But if you want a legal opinion, talk to a lawyer...
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague