Singapore Expats Forum

upcoming SIA recruitment: 15 July 2007

Join in the discussion about employment, interview as a cabin crew, pilot in major airlines.
binka
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat, 09 Jun 2007

Postby binka » Mon, 02 Jul 2007 8:10 pm

Isnt there any gentlemen going on 15th July?

weasley
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon, 02 Jul 2007
Location: wonderland

Postby weasley » Mon, 02 Jul 2007 8:33 pm

i dun have a nice set of teeth.. are there still chance for me?
When in doubt, act stupid :)

User avatar
RexEupho
Member
Member
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue, 03 Jul 2007

malay air steward?

Postby RexEupho » Tue, 03 Jul 2007 12:52 am

Hi all! I am interested to be an air steward. But i'm not physically appealing( not really slim.. a bit on the plum side). However i am tall(187cm)... and i'm a malay. I heard malay guys are more unlikely to be air steward as they cant serve wines? Thats what i heard.. hope its not true, coz i dun mind serving wines,(its not as if i am the one DRINKING it).

BTW, do i need to know how to swim to qualify?

Thanks~!

ang3lic
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun, 24 Jun 2007

Postby ang3lic » Tue, 03 Jul 2007 1:12 am

I've seen a Malay girl being rejected during the Water Confidence Test because apparently, the HR personnel told her she needed to lose some weight. And she was on the plump side.. Yet I am not slim either, with meat and all, so just nice for your height would do?

I've heard of Malays working in SIA. As long as your family approve, and you don't care about the stereotyping of being muslim, I'm sure it's ok. Of cause, you have to be prepared for staunch Muslims to question your decision.

And swimming.. they'll give you a safely life vest when you go for the water confidence test. So long as you don't panic in the pool, I think u'll do fine. :wink:

wawaa
Regular
Regular
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed, 13 Jun 2007

Postby wawaa » Tue, 03 Jul 2007 8:46 am

Hi all!

a word of advice to those goin this 15th july walk-in. From my experience whenever the walk-in is opened to both steward & stewardesses, usually the crowd is extremely huge, expect around 2000 walk-ins for tat day and as well as several hrs of waiting time. My longest wait was 5hrs during a walk-in at Marina Mandarin lat yr. Since the crowd was too overwhelming, they stopped ppl from coming at 10am onwards n told them to come back the next day since it was over 2 days. I was v.lucky coz I was just in time, imagine standing over 5hrs just to go for my first round lucky enuff I was on flats. So pls do come very2 early at least 8.30am if u wana avoid any problems.

On the other hand, my latest experiece at the recent walk-in on 3rd June, I was pretty surprise! Came really2 very late around 11.30am knowing tat 12pm was their closing. I spent a total of 2.5hrs for all 3 rounds
(group, kebaya, 1-1 intv) and surprisingly from the usual there wasnt any big crowd. Guess its becoz the walk-in was only meant for stewardess thats y everytin went pretty fast n smooth!

Good luck again to all goin!!

dOvee
Regular
Regular
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue, 26 Jun 2007

Postby dOvee » Tue, 03 Jul 2007 9:04 am

wawaa wrote:Hi all!

a word of advice to those goin this 15th july walk-in. From my experience whenever the walk-in is opened to both steward & stewardesses, usually the crowd is extremely huge, expect around 2000 walk-ins for tat day and as well as several hrs of waiting time. My longest wait was 5hrs during a walk-in at Marina Mandarin lat yr. Since the crowd was too overwhelming, they stopped ppl from coming at 10am onwards n told them to come back the next day since it was over 2 days. I was v.lucky coz I was just in time, imagine standing over 5hrs just to go for my first round lucky enuff I was on flats. So pls do come very2 early at least 8.30am if u wana avoid any problems.

On the other hand, my latest experiece at the recent walk-in on 3rd June, I was pretty surprise! Came really2 very late around 11.30am knowing tat 12pm was their closing. I spent a total of 2.5hrs for all 3 rounds
(group, kebaya, 1-1 intv) and surprisingly from the usual there wasnt any big crowd. Guess its becoz the walk-in was only meant for stewardess thats y everytin went pretty fast n smooth!

Good luck again to all goin!!


can share wit us, wad did u improve on tt u got in? :D i oso wanna learn

JadeiteJade
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri, 18 May 2007

Postby JadeiteJade » Tue, 03 Jul 2007 11:54 am

ang3lic wrote:I've seen a Malay girl being rejected during the Water Confidence Test because apparently, the HR personnel told her she needed to lose some weight. And she was on the plump side.. Yet I am not slim either, with meat and all, so just nice for your height would do?

I've heard of Malays working in SIA. As long as your family approve, and you don't care about the stereotyping of being muslim, I'm sure it's ok. Of cause, you have to be prepared for staunch Muslims to question your decision.

And swimming.. they'll give you a safely life vest when you go for the water confidence test. So long as you don't panic in the pool, I think u'll do fine. :wink:


just a thought...the malay girl should have pass the kebaya round b4 going to the WCT right?if she looks good in the kebaya...seriously i don think she should be rejected...but then again...SIA can do whatever they want.Basically,if they dont like you...they can always find all sorts of excuses...haiz :?

JadeiteJade
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 159
Joined: Fri, 18 May 2007

Re: malay air steward?

Postby JadeiteJade » Tue, 03 Jul 2007 11:56 am

[quote="RexEupho"]Hi all! I am interested to be an air steward. But i'm not physically appealing( not really slim.. a bit on the plum side). However i am tall(187cm)... and i'm a malay. I heard malay guys are more unlikely to be air steward as they cant serve wines? Thats what i heard.. hope its not true, coz i dun mind serving wines,(its not as if i am the one DRINKING it).

BTW, do i need to know how to swim to qualify?

Thanks~![/quote

hey..i think you should just go...Ive heard of cases whereby they r a bit plump but are given a chance...

im a girl but not exactly on the slim side as well (trying to lose weight) but im going! all the best! :wink:

ang3lic
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun, 24 Jun 2007

Postby ang3lic » Tue, 03 Jul 2007 3:02 pm

Well.. I think passing the Kebaya round, she has the curves. But in swimming suit, she was probably too meaty or maybe its her weight that the HR could not accept.

But anyway no fear. I'm also not slim.. on the chubby side and I got in. So don't think you need to be skinny or real slim to enter in the end. :wink:

RaMz
Regular
Regular
Posts: 92
Joined: Sat, 07 Apr 2007
Location: Seremban, Malaysia
Contact:

Postby RaMz » Tue, 03 Jul 2007 3:19 pm

they can chop you off at any round, anytime, with any reason..
so just be prepared..

binka
Member
Member
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat, 09 Jun 2007

Postby binka » Tue, 03 Jul 2007 4:26 pm

Hi Wawaa,

U starting ur training on the 30th of July?

iamjia
Regular
Regular
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu, 28 Jun 2007

Postby iamjia » Tue, 03 Jul 2007 5:32 pm

RaMz wrote:they can chop you off at any round, anytime, with any reason..
so just be prepared..


my tummy churns when i read this...yikes :-|

dOvee
Regular
Regular
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue, 26 Jun 2007

Postby dOvee » Tue, 03 Jul 2007 5:36 pm

iamjia wrote:
RaMz wrote:they can chop you off at any round, anytime, with any reason..
so just be prepared..


my tummy churns when i read this...yikes :-|


LOL.. RaMz don mean tt "CHOP"

right? :P :lol:

User avatar
DeeeNah
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu, 01 Feb 2007

Postby DeeeNah » Tue, 03 Jul 2007 5:41 pm

iamjia wrote:
RaMz wrote:they can chop you off at any round, anytime, with any reason..
so just be prepared..


my tummy churns when i read this...yikes :-|


Hey,

Don't worry about it. Sometimes if you talk nicely with them, you can state your case again. For example, I was almost cut because of my height but I stated my case and they let me try again. Just let your personality shine and be pleasant :)

iamjia
Regular
Regular
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu, 28 Jun 2007

Postby iamjia » Wed, 04 Jul 2007 12:08 am

DeeeNah wrote:
iamjia wrote:
RaMz wrote:they can chop you off at any round, anytime, with any reason..
so just be prepared..


my tummy churns when i read this...yikes :-|


Hey,

Don't worry about it. Sometimes if you talk nicely with them, you can state your case again. For example, I was almost cut because of my height but I stated my case and they let me try again. Just let your personality shine and be pleasant :)


shine shine shine :lol: :lol: :lol:
hope they will be wearing shades in the interview so we'll all shine thru'
:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Airline Careers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest