Singapore Expats Forum

Greetings! (hashers? American football?)

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
Mister John

Greetings! (hashers? American football?)

Postby Mister John » Sun, 10 Jun 2007 4:32 pm

Hi all,

Newbie here just wanting to say hello. My wife is being transferred to Singapore to help with the expansion of a branch of her company and we will be relocating there within the next couple of months. She has lived in Asia before, but I am a complete novice not only when it comes to Asia, but international travel as well! Aside from a pretty thorough tour of Argentina, I am a babe in the woods :)

Anyway, we were recently married and stopped by on our way to and from our honeymoon destination, and I have to say that I loved the city. Had a chance to explore and eat and hit the bars and it was great! She is still there for a business meeting right now and I think will soon be provided a real estate agent to help us find a place to live (of course, any advice is appreciated, but I suppose that is better asked in another forum...).

My wife was part of the hash when she lived in Shanghai not too many years ago and has told me that she would be very interested in getting involved in the Singapore Hash as well....sounds like a great time to me! Any hashers here on the forum?

Finally, are there any folks out there that enjoy college or
NFL football? I suppose that I will have to broaden my horizons as far as sports go, but I am wondering if there is anywhere to watch or if I can get any of the games.

Ok, sorry about the ramble, but the jet lag is killing me :shock: :???:

Postby wow_bryguy » Mon, 02 Jul 2007 11:43 pm

Fellow yank here. Never heard of the term "part of the hash" or "hashers", but sounds like it could get you in a lot of trouble in Singapore ... ;) May want to give some insight on what you mean, if it isn't the obvious.

As for American Football, all of the Monday night games are show live (early Tuesday morning) generally with a second showing during primetime. Some other select weekend games are shown as well. You won't get any College Football at all that I know of. StarSports/ESPN, however, do show quite a number of MLB and NBA games if you're into that. English Premier League is what rules in Singapore though.

Enjoy your stay.

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 02 Jul 2007 11:54 pm

Been a hash here for donkeys years. Here is the link I've got gout so the running nor the down-downs aren't much good for me any more so gave it up a dozen years ago (been here 25 or so).

Welcome to Singapore.

Postby petit_fleur » Tue, 03 Jul 2007 5:11 pm

Hi there

Welcome to this little island... there is the sunday hash and the 'run' commences at 5.30pm, alternate sunday :) (can't be turning up too often on friday for lioncity as it becomes too obvious due to constant disapearance at work at a specific time :D ).

SuperBowl Party

Postby MacD » Sun, 29 Jul 2007 9:07 pm

I enjoyed NFL as well. I will also be coming down to Singapore in a few months. It would be great if we could set up and watch the game together.

Maybe we could have a great SuperBowl Party?

If you do have any gathering such as that to watch the game or have a game play, I would love to take part just drop me a line...

American Football

Postby gatsby75 » Mon, 30 Jul 2007 2:00 am

They do show some college football games too .. although not live, and they are at really odd hours at night .. like 3 or 4am in the morning. They show the Monday night football games right through the Season.