Singapore Expats

Anyone done Pilates have experience to share?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
astrogirl
Regular
Regular

Anyone done Pilates have experience to share?

Post by astrogirl » Sat, 09 Jun 2007 10:01 pm

Hi all

Any one done both mat and reformer pilates have experience to share?

All I've read on line is pretty much 'selling', so I'd appreciate some real experience sharing on the results of both. I think the low impact exercise suits me and I want my body to be more flexible and build good posture. Of course every girl would hope that they'd loose weight and look shapely too! :oops: :lol: :wink: Thanks.

astrogirl

cherrytomato

i like reformer

Post by cherrytomato » Mon, 11 Jun 2007 8:26 am

i've tried both, and i find matwork better for toning the abs but i prefer the reformer workout as it's a more well-rounded workout where you work every part of the body. plus it's more fun! it would be good to do both, but if you only want to do one, i'd say go for reformer.

Di_choc

Post by Di_choc » Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:49 am

last yr i did matwork for 6mths coz had to stop running due to knee pains. it was great fun n i was in shape and felt stronger too. I did it with Pilates Bodyworks at Raffles Plc.

astrogirl
Regular
Regular

Post by astrogirl » Mon, 11 Jun 2007 11:37 pm

Hi cherrytomato and di-choc

Thanks for sharing!
How often did you do the mat work or reformer, once or twice or more weekly?
Can we at some point buy a mat and do it at home at our convenience? Will this work out well?
astrogirl

cherrytomato

Post by cherrytomato » Tue, 12 Jun 2007 7:06 am

when i really wanted to tone up my abs i did pilates mat daily using a dvd. that was really effective, so you could try that. on a sustainable basis, i would do it at least twice a week. maybe once on a reformer and once following a DVD at home or a mat class at a pilates studio.

good to start in a pilates class with a qualified teacher (best if it's small) so that you can learn how to do pilates properly, and the instructor can spot any mistakes that you tend to make and let you know. this decreases the chance of getting injured when you follow DVDs or books by yourself. even though pilates is low impact and gentle, some of the intermediate and advanced exercises can be pretty tough and unsafe if you are not using the right muscles. (eg. jack knife)

astrogirl
Regular
Regular

Post by astrogirl » Wed, 13 Jun 2007 3:39 pm

Hi cherry tomato, thanks for sharing!

Do you mind sharing where did you do your pilates and what sort of dvds did you buy? Thanks.

Did you do the equiptment sessions, then take a mat class, then start with the dvds at home?
astrogirl

cherrytomato

Post by cherrytomato » Sun, 17 Jun 2007 9:26 pm

hi astrogirl

i started with dvds that i bought on amazon.com. i bought the Stott pilates ones. Was in the US when I started doing classes so I went to studios there for mat and reformer classes, so I don't have any local ones to recommend, sorry!
Now I'm doing private sessions once a week at a home studio on both mat and equipment, as I prefer the flow and the focused attention of private sessions.

astrogirl
Regular
Regular

Post by astrogirl » Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:19 am

Hi cherrytomato

Thanks for sharing info, appreciate it very much!

I too am thinking of private lessons and have made some enquires. Will check them out.
astrogirl

jes23

Post by jes23 » Wed, 20 Jun 2007 5:53 pm

One advice about Pilates, I think it’s better to be guided cos that time I joined and the class was too big and the instructor couldn’t attend to everyone, I did it on myself. After a few session, I feel that my back pain. I think it was because I did it wrongly and I hurt my back

jaslynk
Regular
Regular

Be careful when you are learning Pilates ><

Post by jaslynk » Thu, 21 Jun 2007 8:24 pm

Hi there,
Yap, you have to be careful when you are doing Pilates. Let the instructor know if you are having some injuries. My instructor friend told me that there was a accident in her class when she was teaching some posture. And one of her student slip and hit her arms on the floor hard ,than she was send to A&E after that. But Pilates are really very fun and interesting to know. :P

astrogirl
Regular
Regular

Post by astrogirl » Thu, 21 Jun 2007 10:15 pm

Hi jes23 and jaslynk

Thanks for sharing info. I'm not atheletic and not much of an active sports person. Body being not very flexible, I too thought best go for private sessions first!

jes23 - back ache is no joke, I think you should check it out with a doctor if it still hurts.
astrogirl

HunBunny80
Chatter
Chatter

Post by HunBunny80 » Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:08 am

Di_choc wrote:last yr i did matwork for 6mths coz had to stop running due to knee pains. it was great fun n i was in shape and felt stronger too. I did it with Pilates Bodyworks at Raffles Plc.
Hi Di_choc,
May I know how much did you pay for the classes?
Thanks.

jaslynk
Regular
Regular

Help to improve

Post by jaslynk » Wed, 04 Jul 2007 12:21 am

Yoga are more for balancing. And Pilates are on stretching. Both can help to improve. Maybe insomia, minor back injuries and others. We must thanks to the founders of both Yoga and Pilates. Mr. Joseph Pilates he himself had many problems, and heal after using his own way. Try if you never had, you'll never want to stop. But do let your instructor know if you don't feel well. :P

kalyn
Regular
Regular

Post by kalyn » Thu, 19 Jul 2007 2:06 am

I'm confused over yoga and pilates, are they similar?

Which is better at improving blood circulation and nice posture? Thanks!!

astrogirl
Regular
Regular

Post by astrogirl » Thu, 19 Jul 2007 8:48 pm

kalyn wrote:I'm confused over yoga and pilates, are they similar?

Which is better at improving blood circulation and nice posture? Thanks!!
From what I understand (which is not very much!), both improve posture and build strength.
Yoga holds still for different pose, has meditation and has it's roots in Hinduism.
Pilates continues in movements and can work on different types of equipment.

Can't really explain any further..........., so please surf the net for more information.
astrogirl