Singapore Expats

Free coin exchange

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Sat, 03 Aug 2013 8:11 pm

Wd40 wrote:I have so far managed to keep the coins to manageable levels, by following the below technique:

1)While buying small price items like less than $3, always pay with coins. I always take a small bunch of coins with me while going out.

2)While buying big price items try paying as far as possible using cards(credit cards 1st priority and debit card(nets) next priority where they dont accept CCs)

I would never pay money to exchange my coins for notes, unless I need to leave SG for good ;)
I've found an easier way to get rid of coins, $10 at a time.

All the MRT stations accept coins as payment for topping up ezylink cards.

Just make sure you follow the following rules:

5c, 10c, and 20c pieces ... used to make up the first $2.

The remaining $8 made up of 50c pieces or $1 coins.

It's legal tender, and follows strictly MAS rules on maximum coinage per transaction so MRT station can't refuse it.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 04 Aug 2013 12:25 pm

Interesting!
So let me just get this clear:
You are talking about the EZlink topup machines at MRTs.
Upto $2 you have choice of inserting 5,10 and 20C, but you could use 50C and $1 coin, if you want?
Beyond $2, you have no choice but have to insert 50C or $1?

Splatted
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Splatted » Mon, 05 Aug 2013 12:45 am

Wd40 wrote:Interesting!
So let me just get this clear:
You are talking about the EZlink topup machines at MRTs.
Upto $2 you have choice of inserting 5,10 and 20C, but you could use 50C and $1 coin, if you want?
Beyond $2, you have no choice but have to insert 50C or $1?
No, the service counter. Staff have to manually count the coins and top up my card.

The try to put a stop to it by posting a notice on their glass window MAS rules regarding limits on coins per transaction, but I follow their rule to the letter allowing me to get rid of $10 every time.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor

Post by Steve1960 » Mon, 05 Aug 2013 9:30 am

We save dollar coins for our daughter. Once we have around 150 dollars I exchange it for paper money and we use the coins at the wet market to buy our meat, fish, seafood and vegetables. The stall holders are happy to take the coins and the 150 dissipates among many different vendors :-)

johnlaikp

Post by johnlaikp » Sun, 01 Sep 2013 9:28 pm

hi all,

i need coins. All denominations except 5 cent coins.

NO charges for you and me. :)

As I am working and staying near Bugis, would prefer to be meet at Bugis area.

And as i visit this website once every month, would appreciate if
you could contact me at 90993312. thank you.

johnlaikp

Post by johnlaikp » Sun, 03 Nov 2013 7:01 pm

hi all,

i need coins ! no charges for you and me.
All denominations except 5 cent coins.
NO charges for you and me.

As I am working and staying near Bugis, would prefer to meet at Bugis area.

And as i visit this website once every month, would appreciate if
you could contact me at 90993312. thank you.

thank you very much.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 03 Nov 2013 7:10 pm

And the problem with visiting your bank, versus spamming a bunch of randomers on the web, is... precisely, what :???:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 03 Nov 2013 7:20 pm

He gets his coins, you get dollars but don't have to pay the banks "collection fees". Simples. What he wants them for is his business. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 03 Nov 2013 7:28 pm

"Collection fees"? Is that where a bank charges you for taking up their time counting thousands of coins that you've unnecessarily hoarded?

I don't think such fees exist back home, but neither do coin-hoarders IME. If you have a pile of coins, they give you bags 3*3" polythene bags. Bag up 100 * £1 coins, or 50 * 2p coins, and so on and so on. Hand them over at a bank, each is weighed/verified, maybe 10 bags in 20 seconds, job done. No charge.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 03 Nov 2013 8:13 pm

As you replied to the poster on another thread re: formal wear return. You are not home. You are in Singapore. Welcome back to Singapore. :wink:

Something about petards springs to mind?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 03 Nov 2013 8:33 pm

So you'll be hurrying off with your 1 CWT coin-jar to meet up with this stranger issit? :wink: :lol:

I had a thing once, here maybe. Get home and empty your change in a jar. Repeat each day. 'After a while it adds up to a lot'. I think it's pretty 1950s, having $140 of 1,000 coins is more trouble than it's worth.

p.s. I'm not remarking on collection fees per se, but rather the misguided nature of 'saving' money only to be charged a 5% fees to bank it. It's like duh... pay with a $20, and put the coins in the vending machine instead...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 03 Nov 2013 8:58 pm

I've always kept a change spittoon handy (I had to empty it once several years ago as it filled up with $1 & 50¢ coins. This was just a small copper bellied affair with about a 6" diameter and 6" height. When I finally decided to cash 'em in there was $2200 in it and it weighed around 13 or 14 kg! Bag'em and the bank will unbag 'em as they don't weigh for amount but physically machine count. Cost me $8 at POSB. It's free, however if you deposit the lot to a child's saving account. It did pay for a round-trip flight to the farm though. ;-) It filled up pretty quickly back in those days as I was still smoking around a pack a day so there was always two or three dollars in my pocket at the end of the day. Now I don't eat at fast food restaurants or smoke so I rarely have any change at all.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Sun, 03 Nov 2013 9:07 pm

I have bank accounts in 4 countries - they all charge to count coins. Except as SMS says, if you are depositing to children's accounts. Every country seems to refund coin counting for children's accounts.
I am looking for place to donate heaps of overseas coins - for charity. I know BA and Qantas do it in flight, but is there anywhere in Singapore proper where can drop them. Probably about $500 in coins of different demom.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 03 Nov 2013 9:35 pm

Yes, I’ve had big change throw-pots too. Never been a tobacco-chewing farm boy though; But I have to ask, what is the aim here? Coming home and dropping 60c in a jar is, lets be honest, a waste of time. You earn $100k a year, and think your pocket change – will, change – anything? Beyond repairing the $10 hole it wears in your pocket :)

You'll need that change tomorrow, so what are you doing? Your coins, ‘your little savings fund’ is being eroded by inflation. There are no pluses in it.

My late father in law had a parallel scheme. On the 10*30”

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 03 Nov 2013 10:51 pm

[quote="JR8"]Yes, I’ve had big change throw-pots too. Never been a tobacco-chewing farm boy though; But I have to ask, what is the aim here? Coming home and dropping 60c in a jar is, lets be honest, a waste of time. You earn $100k a year, and think your pocket change – will, change – anything? Beyond repairing the $10 hole it wears in your pocket :)

You'll need that change tomorrow, so what are you doing? Your coins, ‘your little savings fund’ is being eroded by inflation. There are no pluses in it.

My late father in law had a parallel scheme. On the 10*30”