Singapore Expats Forum

Do you do 'it'? If so, how?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Do you do 'it'? If so, how?

Postby Kats_ » Fri, 08 Jun 2007 9:55 am

"Global greenhouse gas emissions must stop rising, followed by substantial global emission reductions."

This year's G8 summit's moto.

All that is fine but what are you, as an individual doing to reduce emissions and what are you doing to protect the environment?

Do you consciously make an effort to play your part?

I dont, as much as I would like to. I try not to use the plastic bags and save electricity/water by not over using it.

Any enthusiasts here? Do share what measures you take. This could be anything like using public tansport as opposed to own vehicles for short distances or recycling your electrical gadgets....old phones/ipods etc.

Kats
tonton toto, ton thé t'a t-il ôté ta toux?

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Fri, 08 Jun 2007 1:58 pm

Nice topic, Kats.

I never take plastic bags, so I carry an oversized tote and stuff everything I buy into it. Stopped using the aircon for sleeping for over a year. Hot like anything these days but quite possible to get used to. Haven't driven for almost two years, so I'm supporting the public transport industry all the way. Not too bad eh? :cool:

But, I use an inordinate amount of clothes, plus shower at least twice a day. So am guilty of using lots of water. And my dog pees on the grass twice daily on his walks, which kills the grass which otherwise could help in converting carbon dioxide to oxygen.

babykasim
Chatter
Chatter

Postby babykasim » Fri, 08 Jun 2007 2:35 pm

me too ...

I am sure i can do better but for now:
I try to use the minimum amount of plastic bag by asking the staff to put all in one bag.
I still sleep with aircon but nowadays i set the timer so that it'll be off around midnight
I don't drive so i can't count me taking public transportation as a taking part
I make sure that the light is off when I leave the room

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Fri, 08 Jun 2007 5:34 pm

Enviromentalism schenvironmentalism. The Earth is not some delicate porcelain vase that needs to be pampered: it's a dynamic equilibrium that has been changing for millennia and will continue to do so. Us humans should concentrate on figuring out how to best hang on and how to spread out to other planets -- evolution and natural selection will take care of the rest.

(Oh, I use public transport and sleep with the aircon off too, but that's because I hate cars and don't get stuffy in the morning that way.)
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Marlowe

Postby Marlowe » Sun, 10 Jun 2007 11:48 am

i try to never shower alone, in order to save water!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 10 Jun 2007 1:17 pm

Marlowe wrote:i try to never shower alone, in order to save water!

Tried that numerous times. Found it takes on the average at least 4 times as much water but lots more fun! :P

Kats_
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Kats_ » Mon, 11 Jun 2007 12:47 pm

jpatokal wrote:Enviromentalism schenvironmentalism. The Earth is not some delicate porcelain vase that needs to be pampered: it's a dynamic equilibrium that has been changing for millennia and will continue to do so. Us humans should concentrate on figuring out how to best hang on and how to spread out to other planets -- evolution and natural selection will take care of the rest.

(Oh, I use public transport and sleep with the aircon off too, but that's because I hate cars and don't get stuffy in the morning that way.)

I understand, but I would also want to live in a cleaner world myself.

Apart from the obvious advantages, there are disadvantages too while showering together:
a) Waste of water (as SMS rightly pointed)
b) Time taken is longer
c) Shower is too crowded
d) Cant have the shower pointing at you at all times.
e) Have no access to soap at all times
f) The doorbell or a phone call cant be answered easily.

Kats
tonton toto, ton thé t'a t-il ôté ta toux?

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Tue, 12 Jun 2007 1:10 am

Plus, the entire point of a shower is to get clean, not dirty. :P

jpatokal

Postby jpatokal » Tue, 12 Jun 2007 7:33 pm

Wind In My Hair wrote:Plus, the entire point of a shower is to get clean, not dirty. :P

Au contraire -- the point of a shower together is to get clean and dirty at the same time. :P
Vaguely heretical thoughts on travel technology at Gyrovague

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asian_Geekette » Wed, 13 Jun 2007 12:09 am

jpatokal wrote:
Wind In My Hair wrote:Plus, the entire point of a shower is to get clean, not dirty. :P

Au contraire -- the point of a shower together is to get clean and dirty at the same time. :P

Ha ha ha! You're all watersports enthusiasts! You're using a lot of water to get clean and dirty! :lol: :P

Since I'm a geekette, I carry a laptop backpack (a signature get-up for geeks and geekettes :lol: ) where I put the stuff I buy from stores. I also request for paperbags or re-use the plastic or paper bags I got from stores. I print on both sides of the paper. I don't drive and I walk or use public transportation. When I'm washing a few pieces of my undies or laundry, I hand-wash them. So I get to save some water. I use the washing machine if I've been traveling for more than a week and have tons of dirty laundry. :lol: But unlike most geeks, I'm not hung up on buying the latest gadgets. So I buy only what I need and make sure that I use it for years on end. If there are things which I don't use or don't need, I give them away to people who can use them.

I know that I can't do grand things to help the environment... just the lil things. The point is to simplify my life and place lesser demands on the environment.
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning