Singapore Expats Forum

telly progs for new arrival

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

jockney
Regular
Regular

telly progs for new arrival

Postby jockney » Thu, 07 Jun 2007 3:30 am

help...
my wife has decided after a short visit to singapore, that it is an ok place to live for year after i was offered a job there...big question is can she get coronation street and eastenders??? sad but true :D

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Thu, 07 Jun 2007 8:42 am

Only from your friendly neighborhood torrent site :wink:

So yes

Although actually there are some people who get it taped & sent over & the tapes 'do the rounds' so she will just have to make friends with like minded people
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."
Hemingway

jockney
Regular
Regular

Postby jockney » Thu, 07 Jun 2007 12:28 pm

i dont understand the first bit..neighbourhood torrent site??
so is it a yes or no?

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Jeppo » Thu, 07 Jun 2007 12:51 pm

It's a no. Torrent is p2p program that you can use to download things from the net

check out http://www.dessent.net/btfaq/ for more info :)

jockney
Regular
Regular

Postby jockney » Thu, 07 Jun 2007 2:49 pm

i thought i saw bbc prime channel? oh dear this could cancel the whole trip :lol:
i did not understand anything on that website for the suggested idea.

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Jeppo » Thu, 07 Jun 2007 3:02 pm

There is BBC on starhub's digital but it doesn't show the shows you're after. If you didn't understand the page I posted just forget that idea and try to find someone who will tape the shows for you and send them out. If you have some tech minded friends they'll be able to burn them on dvd and post them to you.

Baron Greenback
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Baron Greenback » Thu, 07 Jun 2007 3:30 pm

BBC prime has been a god send, although it is nothing compared to the real thing back home.

It really just has a lot of re runs, for example they show Red Dwarf, Blackadder etc, Saxondale is coming soon. So they are a few months behind to say the least. No soaps though, sorry
"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools."

Hemingway

jockney
Regular
Regular

help with bit torrent

Postby jockney » Tue, 12 Jun 2007 5:11 pm

i have downloaded said program, how do i get the programmes my wife is after as i cant seem to find them?

Jeppo
Chatter
Chatter

Postby Jeppo » Wed, 13 Jun 2007 8:07 am

Exactly which prog are you talking about? There are a number of torrent progs out there and some work different to others, but basically you have to find a site hosting torrents (search in google - eg. "torrent coronation street") and then load it into the prog and it will download the files you want.

muratkorman
Chatter
Chatter

Postby muratkorman » Wed, 13 Jun 2007 3:47 pm

Check these websites for torrent files :

www.torrentspy.com

www.mininova.org

If you were looking after some popular US TV series like Lost, Prison Break or Heroes, you could watch from this website :

www.tv-video.net
With my kind regards

Murat Korman

Asian_Geekette
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Asian_Geekette » Wed, 13 Jun 2007 4:30 pm

jockney,

You have to find the torrent for those programmes and download the torrent on your PC. Then run the bit torrent program so you can download the files of those tv series. If you have any geek friends, invite them over for pizza and beer and they'll help you out. :P :lol:

Take note that you must not run the bit torrent program from your work computer or when you're connected to your corporate network. Most companies do not allow such type of applications to run in their network and use up precious bandwidth. But if you're good buddies with your network admin... perhaps s/he'll let it slide. ;-)
My business is not to remake myself, but make the absolute best out of what God made. -Robert Browning

jockney
Regular
Regular

thanks

Postby jockney » Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:30 pm

duuuuhhh! i think i am getting it now(at last). :D
you have all been a great help...thanks.